Author Topic: How long until the motor start to loosen up?  (Read 4849 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: July 16, 2015, 12:07:55 am
I'm a bit over 600 miles and it's a bear to kick start.  It's almost like there is not a compression release at all, but I know there is because sometimes it works just fine. How long until it starts to free up (more or less, I know these bikes are more individuals than clones like a bunch of Hondas!)

Still making a bit of clatter on startup but is seeming to quiet down a bit faster and it's not making any strange noises so I am guessing it's still a bit tight. So I'm still in heat cycle mode.

It's great fun but for some reason even though it plainly says "Royal Enfield" on the gas tank I get ask "Is that a Norton?" Go figure. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:14:45 am
I doubt that it will ever become really easy to get it up to TDC with the kick start lever before you actually try to start it.

The decompression system isn't like the old fashioned manual decompression valve.

With the old style valve you could actually release the compression all the way up to TDC and even past it if you wanted to.

The UCE compression release only works for a short time at the start of  the compression stroke.

That helps to prevent kick back during shut down and it makes it easier for the electric starter motor to crank the engine while leaving enough compression to get it to start.

The best answer I can offer is to just kick it hard enough to get the piston up to TDC.  Recock the kick starter by letting it come back up and then give a hard kick all the way thru the length of its travel.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:02:33 am
It takes at lest 1000 miles for the engine ( and you),to 1500 miles to "loosen up".
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:55:59 am
Mine started loosing up at around that 1k to 2K mark.  Still not easy to kick start from the top of the stroke of the kick starter - I pull in the clutch and get the kick starter at about halfway through the stroke.  Make sure the bike is in neutral and let the clutch out and then kick it all the way through.  Seems to work almost every time on the first kick for me. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:34 am
The best way to kick start the bike is to ease it past TDC then give it a swift follow-through kick.

Mine wouldn't start using the kick start until the engine had loosened up sufficiently.

It was noticeably better after the 300 mile service and continues to get better up to 2000+ miles as stated above.

John

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:04:02 pm
The above comments are kind of interesting to me.  I am used to kick starting big singles, but my B5 doesn't seem to have any resistance when I get to TDC.  In fact, I can't even feel TDC when I try to align the piston before kicking.  So now I just kick it from any position and it just starts right up.  I can only assume that my automatic decompressor is working at 0 rpm (?). Very strange......
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:09:37 pm
The above comments are kind of interesting to me.  I am used to kick starting big singles, but my B5 doesn't seem to have any resistance when I get to TDC.  In fact, I can't even feel TDC when I try to align the piston before kicking.  So now I just kick it from any position and it just starts right up.  I can only assume that my automatic decompressor is working at 0 rpm (?). Very strange......

The auto decomp operates at all engine speeds below the rpm at which the centrifugally actuated bobweight pulls it in. This is presumed to occur at around 750-900 rpm, but may vary evem more, possibly. This is why the recommended idle speed is higher than 900 rpm, so that the decomp is inactivated when idling.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 08:50:01 pm
Mine felt run in after about 3,500 miles. always starts on second kick when cold, first kick after a ride. Although I do use the electric foot first start of the day most of the time, kicking her over gives a bit of satisfaction on a grumpy morning day ;)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:01:41 pm
I feel like mine was fully worn in around 2K miles (I always write "miles", because many people use kilometers, and don't specify that, and there is a huge difference) It has never been really easy to kick start. I finally quit doing it because I have bad knees, and I put my knees ahead of looking cool starting my bike. There is some clatter, and there always will be. This is not a liquid cooled multi cylinder engine, and will never be smooth. I've even been able to hear some clatter on newer 4 cylinder sportbike engines. Remember this is a machine, and the clearances are not as good as a Japanese bike. There is a huge difference between the sound of an Enfield and the Yamaha SR400. I like the Enfield a lot better, the SR sounds like a sewing machine.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 09:05:59 pm
Got almost 6000 miles on my B5. better be loose by now lol.

Interestingly, I have found the auto decomp makes far less noise ticking over on side stand when starting in the morning than when starting on the main stand.

Easier to kick over on main when cold, ok on side when warm.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:24:14 am

This doesn't sound right at all.  The auto decomp is working at 0 rpm - but it doesn't release all the compression throughout the whole compression stroke...

Very curious to know what's going on there...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:06 am
I don't feel any compression when my G5 just passes TDC either.

I do feel a hell of a lot of resistance as the piston is moving upward to get to TDC but as soon as reaches TDC and starts downward on the power stroke it diminishes to almost nothing.

That's when I recock the kick starter lever and give it a go. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:20:22 am
Right - I see what you did there!  "When I get to TDC" - I assumed he meant "getting to" TDC...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 03:02:43 pm
I paid more attention to my starting procedure yesterday and turning over my B5 feels just like kick starting a two-stroke motor.  While there is some resistance bringing the piston up to TDC, I can easily lever it past that point using just hand pressure.  But it still starts right up with a swift kick (not by hand, though).  The bike seems to run OK, other than exhibiting a lot of vibration through the handlebar grips and will run up to an indicated 80 mph, but you wouldn't want to keep it there for very long. It could have some internal issue that is affecting compression, but I have other bikes to ride if I need to go faster and I have learned over the years not to mess with things as long as they seem to be running well enough to get me down the road. 

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:13 pm
Guess that I lucked out with an easy UCE to kick start, in the past I had only kicked over dirt bikes up to 250cc and some of them were more difficult then my C5.  Following Singh's procedure she's kicked over first kick every time since new and I've only got 600 miles on the clock.
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 04:12:37 pm
While there is some resistance bringing the piston up to TDC, I can easily lever it past that point using just hand pressure.   :o

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:24 pm
Regarding my comment about vibration above, I just tightened the top cylinder head nuts and a couple of engine mounting nuts. That might help.  Time for a Sunday test ride.

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 02:46:40 pm
Guess that I lucked out with an easy UCE to kick start...  Following Singh's procedure she's kicked over first kick every time since new and I've only got 600 miles on the clock.

+ 1 but with 318 miles
Miles