Author Topic: new guy w/ carb problem  (Read 2109 times)

rock-ola

• Scooter
on: July 15, 2015, 07:14:18 pm
Hello all,
 I just bought my 1st Enfield last month... Previous owner put a new carb on it..said the old one was leaking gas.. After much messing around (and reading old posts on here) I determined it isn't jetted right.. runs too rich, plug is black & sooty, idles great but stumbles on accel.. So, I took the original carb apart cleaned it all out with cleaner & put it back on the bike..It dies at idle (have to keep feathering it to keep it running) but, it runs great out on the road, plug looks good. adjusting the idle screws does nothing to it..It doesn't seem to make any difference.. Advice??

Thanks,
Rock-ola
P.S. it's a '03 Bullet 500

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:26:12 pm
 Do you have the throttle valve set right? Maybe try adjusting the cable up a hair with the adjustment nut on top of the carb.
2000 Dlx

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:03:45 pm
What is the type of carb on it?
What jets are in it now?
What is your elevation above sea level  at your location?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:28 pm
rock-ola
If the spark plug looks good from normal riding, I think your jets are about right.

What's not right is the fact that adjusting the idle screws does nothing.
That would explain why the engine dies at idle speed.

The following is from Hitchcocks site and explains how to adjust these screws

"• Adjust the throttle stop screw so the engine runs at a fast tick-over, say about 20%
above the idle speed you wish to achieve
• Unscrew the pilot air screw to increase the engine speed to its fastest possible
• Gradually unscrew the throttle stop screw to reduce engine speed to the target idle
speed
• Again unscrew the pilot air screw to increase engine to the highest tick-over possible
• Finally, gradually unscrew the throttle stop screw to reduce engine speed to the correct
idle speed. (Usually this process carried out twice – as described – will be sufficient to
achieve a correct tick-over.)
NB – sequence: pilot air screw out = fast; throttle stop screw out = slow"

I highly recommend that you follow this link to that write up,  paying special attention to the last part of it.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/content2/micarb_notes_-_a4.pdf

(This is an PDF file so your computer will need to have Adobe installed to read it).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:34:01 pm
If it is an Amal concentric 930 or similar, your pilot jet passage is likely clogged.  If it is this carb, know that there is no actual pilot jet on the carb, only a passage with a pressed jet.  Also, if you do have an Amal this thread will be of interest to you.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,21124.0.html
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rock-ola

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:01:27 pm
Guys,

Thanks for the responses.. there is a bit of slack in the throttle cable (at the grip)..I hadn't considered adjusting it out at the carb. I'll have to look but, I'm fairly sure the nut is screwed all the way in on the top of the carb. (which is a miki)..I'll check that out... right now I'm stuck riding my desk @ the office....

Rock-ola

rock-ola

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:47:01 pm
pknopp,
 That's what it was...I screwed the speed nut up a bit & that fixed it...still need to tweak it a bit.. I love it when it's a simple fix... Thnx to all who replied.. you tightened my learning curve!
 Now for the clutch adjustment..... :D

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:46 pm
 Recent experience.  ;D
2000 Dlx

rock-ola

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:17 am
So,...I'm out riding the bike this evening..pulled in the driveway & the throttlecable broke!!!....I do have one ordered already (was going to be a spare).. Does anyone know if you can use say, a Honda or other make or does it have to be Enfield..The one I ordered is coming from India...Gonna be a few days..

Rock-ola

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 01:18:26 pm
All I can say is you might get lucky with another cable, you might not!

Is the overall length the same or close?

Is the difference in length between the inner and outer the same or VERY close (too short an inner means the throttle slide won't close, too long means you'll run out of thread on the cable adjuster)?

Are the cable ends for the throttle valve and the twistgrip similar?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:37:22 pm
 If there is a local Honda shop just take the cable with you and see what they have.
2000 Dlx