Author Topic: Headlight Eyebrow On An AVL Headlight  (Read 3290 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:14 pm
     I've been considering an eyebrow now for a long time, but haven't gone for it as I'm afraid it might not look right because of that huge wide chrome ring that is so much bigger than the sealed beam itself.

If anyone with an AVL (or just an opinion) wants to comment or post pictures I'd 'preeshiate it. I just can't decide if it's worth the $$, the shipping and the possible hassle of disturbing something in the wire jungle that's in there (Abandon hope all ye who enter here) and then finding it doesn't look right.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:54:22 am
If you replace the 5.75" light unit with the 7" version that's supposed to be in there (you will need the standard 7" Lucas British-style chrome rim to suit, available from any Brit bike shop if our hosts don't sell them), it looks OK. Undo the existing light unit (leave the larger chrome rim behind it in place), unhook the bulb holder, fit the new rim, peak/eyebrow and light unit together either with a new set of W clips or re-use the existing ones (some eye protection is a good idea), swap the headlight bulb over and fit the light unit onto the inner rim. Then have a good look to decide whether you love it or hate it.

Mine has a separate headlamp, rather than the stock casquette, but you get the idea. Strangely enough I was thinking about removing the peak from my headlight.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:39 am
I've got one on my avl but it's on a 7 inch and I like it. There's a couple of photos on Google images fitted to a 5 inch and they don't look right to me. Try making a mock up out of a foil tray to see how it would look.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:46:38 pm
There are quite a few Bullets with these fitted, surf the Members Rides section in the photo gallery on this site to see some. Here's just one:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4749

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:33:28 pm
         Well, I bit the "bullet" today. I got home from the grocery store (a nightmare) and needed something cool to do in the garage. I pulled the headlight out and what a mass of metal that whole apparatus is. And I poked around at how I could improve the wiring even more than I did two years ago.
          Then I came up and just now ordered the 7 inch conversion rims (Black) and clips although I still can't get my head around how much some little pieces of tin and wire can cost. Don't start on me  ;D I really DO understand  :)
           Stay tuned.  Film at 11:00 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:25:35 pm
         Well, I bit the "bullet" today. I got home from the grocery store (a nightmare) and needed something cool to do in the garage. I pulled the headlight out and what a mass of metal that whole apparatus is. And I poked around at how I could improve the wiring even more than I did two years ago.
          Then I came up and just now ordered the 7 inch conversion rims (Black) and clips although I still can't get my head around how much some little pieces of tin and wire can cost. Don't start on me  ;D I really DO understand  :)
           Stay tuned.  Film at 11:00

Black rims arrived Monday with W clips and black Allen screws. Mounted first rim on nacelle no problem, but didn't use black Allens on each side. The OEM screws are way smaller and the holes have to be drilled larger and tapped. I painted the original screw heads black and used them. The top black Allen head that holds the clip which holds the whole shooting match together works fine. Installation is all straight forward if you can walk and chew gum :) :)

The 7 inch Sylvania H6024 looks really good (Walmart $8.88). I screwed up though. I should have waited for the eyebrow to get here. Now I have to remove all those killer W clips and get them reinstalled again. I wish my hands, fingers and wrists weren't so destroyed. Oh, well  :(     

I'll post some dead head on pictures if anyone wants them.

PS: These are pretty high quality, powder-coated rims (Minda). Not beer cans.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:41:35 pm
Looks very nice!
I'm glad that you didn't get hit in the eye with any of those damned clips!
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:25:11 pm
I'll give you mine..I took it off in favor of a screen.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 02:41:24 pm
            Black rims arrived Monday with W clips and black Allen screws.
              PS: These are pretty high quality, powder-coated rims (Minda). Not beer cans.

Visor arrived Monday. Got it on without putting my eye out or scratching the very pricey rim.

I see now that I want it painted black. The contrast is too severe.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 02:43:04 pm
            Visor arrived Monday. Got it on without putting my eye out or scratching the very pricey rim.

I see now that I want it painted black. The contrast is too severe.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:22 am
I agree. Paint the visor. The black rims look good.

Gotta ask, what the thingamajig hanging from the right handlebar?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:52 pm
I agree. Paint the visor. The black rims look good.

Gotta ask, what the thingamajig hanging from the right handlebar?

Oh, so solly. Please forgive lateness of leply  :-[ I just saw this.

It's a pig scrotum full of magic stones (polished and unpolished) and other little magic goodies to keep me safe. My daughter was heavily into Wiccan in the '80s and gave it to me I think '82 or 3. It has hung on two harleys since then and I switched it to the Enfield a few years ago. The Enfield hurts a bit less and I ride it more now. Made it 12 whole miles today  :o and couldn't lift either arm to hit the garage door switch mounted on the wall just a bit higher than my face  :(