Author Topic: if you got a new iron barrel bullet what would you do?  (Read 5103 times)

strat71

• Grease Monkey
hi again...
my NEW 2004 bullet is on the way to Tahiti...
meanwhile i wondered what would you do on this new bike to start with...
  • remove PAV?
    improve carb?
    change tyres?
    change exhaust?
    anything else?
just let me know what you wold do if it was yours...
Ben

Tom2004

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:52 am
He sealed the exhaust pipe.

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:56:06 am
seal the exhaust?
yep i just noticed the exhaust is not very well sealed...
how would you do that???
Ben

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:41:46 pm
Remove the primary cover and check the bolts on the alternator and the clutch.Do a BUNCH of oil changes including filter and check/clean the screens on the plugs to the sump and case.Replace the pushrods and the valve springs with upgrades.Check the cylinder head bolt torque.If this is actually new,do not ride at a steady speed,keep the engine in a slight pull at all times and decellerate a lot.Short rides with cool downs are best.If it has no real miles on it,it does not yet have the faintest idea what it is in this world to do and you have to teach it.You may want to fiddle with the brakes.You will want to do exhaust and carb upgrades.You must familiarise yourself with the tune up procedures.I recommend staying with the mechanical ignition as I have found it reliable.Check the trueness of the rear tire/wheel with the front for alignment.Always try to open the side cases after you close them to make sure they are well and truly latched.If you have rain grooves in the pavement where you live,you will need to upgrade the tires or learn to love squirming.Go back over the forum and read all the horror stories,pay close attention to anything Ace Cafe says.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:44:49 pm
I sealed Jolly's exhaust with high temp silicone.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:48:28 pm
Improve air filter and muffler.
Re-jet carb richer for the changed air filter and muffler.
Remove PAV.

If the header has a loose fit into the head joint, then you can usually cut a strip of beer/soda can metal about an inch wide, and wrap it around the header end, usually one full wrap with butted ends will do it, and then push that into the head with the header as a shim-style sealer. If any leak persists after that, it will be small, and can be sealed with some clear automotive silicone sealer product. Wait 24 hours after using the silicone sealer to let it cure, or else it will blow out when you start up the bike.

The most failure prone part on the bike is the Electric Start sprag. They almost never survive. But, it you tune the bike well so it is not too lean, and keep up with the tuning when weather turns cooler, and open up the decomp when you turn off the ignition to stop the bike, it will have a somewhat better chance of living. If it breaks, it can be removed with no cost and about an afternoon of labor, and just use the kicker to start the bike.

A very good mod for an older Bullet is to convert to right foot shift and left foot brake. There are conversion kits for this. It makes it shift much better, and eliminates the underhanging foot brake lever on the right side. Highly recommended if you can learn to shift with the right foot.

Break it in according to the book, and use the gears properly so you do not lug the engine, and after break-in, do not try to highway cruise at higher than 55mph.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:53 am
Strat: one thing at a time otherwise you will get overwhelmed despite the fact that all motor mechanics are very simple and DO NOT GIVE UP.  You will get there.  Your original list makes a lot of sense to me.  ;)
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:38 am
Strat71,  off topic and strictly out of curiosity,  do you have a 1971 Stratocaster?   Just wondering about the name. ....
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:21:43 pm
Strat71,  off topic and strictly out of curiosity,  do you have a 1971 Stratocaster?   Just wondering about the name. ....
no problem... i did have a 71, it was my first real strat... gone now... the neck was too reggae music for me (if it means something... ;) )
now i've a 64, a 66 and a 68... all players condition but sounding great...
and various LP, Tele and a few vintage amps... of course...

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:23:36 pm
Tarnand: i'm with you, one thing at a time...
Ace.. wise advices as usual... will let you know when the bike will be in Tahiti.. should take 2 or 3 months... arghhh!!!

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:32 pm
What carbs would you guys recommend ? What is PAV ?

Thansk,
A

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:40 pm
The carb best suited is the Mikuni TM32-1, rejetted for the Iron Barrel application.
No other carb even comes close.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:56 pm
The PAV is a device that injects fresh air into the exhaust outside the exhaust valve.

It uses the high velocity exhaust to pump the air into the exhaust pipe to burn off any unburned fuel.
This reduces the amount of air pollution the engine produces.

The PAV valve itself is a one way valve that allows the fresh air to flow into the exhaust but prevents the momentarily high exhaust pressure from forcing its way back into the fresh air supply.

The PAV system uses no fuel and it does not reduce the engines performance.  It does add a little bit of weight to the motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 10:44:28 pm
PAV is a TLA (three letter acronym)  :P , it stands for Pulse Air Valve.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 10:56:34 am
The carb best suited is the Mikuni TM32-1, rejetted for the Iron Barrel application.
No other carb even comes close.
ACE, i know you know... so i know, cause i already know i'm gonna try to improve the beauty... what jet/needle configuration would you recommend for this bike, considering this:
1) Mikarb with freer exhaust pipe, short bottle silencer, and enhanced air filter
2) Mikuni with  freer exhaust pipe, short bottle silencer, and enhanced air filter
Thanks
Ben