Author Topic: Stripped oil feed, need help  (Read 3023 times)

capt.logs

• Scooter
on: July 09, 2015, 09:34:46 pm
Lately this build has been a pain in my ass, been 1 step forward and 3 back.  I ended up buying Hitchcocks pressure relief valve which now I am great regretting.  First I break the line bending it out of the way to remove the tappet cover, now once I fixed that the oil feed line is stripped into the case.

How the hell can I fix this without having to pull the engine and then the head?  Any suggestions?  I would do a helicoil but there's no room to drill and tap etc etc.  I'm about to set this bike on fire.  I included a pic of the area.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:36 pm
The fitting that goes into the engine case is stripped, or is it the fitting outlet threads or the B nut on the tube?

If it is the threads in the aluminum crankcase, did they just "give" a little or did they actually rip out?

If they just gave a little, wrapping the bottom threads of the fitting with several layers of teflon tape and then gently screwing it in place might fix it.
The oil pressure at that location is next to nothing so the tape should seal it.

If the threads are actually ripped out, a insert is about the only fix short of welding up the hole and re-threading it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:06:09 am
Measure the banjo/adapters engagement into the case length: the amount of threads protruding with banjo fitting and copper washers installed on the adapter. Then measure how deep the threaded bore is. Theres a good chance the bore is threaded deeper than the adapter is long. If so you might be able to source a double banjo adapter and thread it in to catch the remaining threads. You may have to cut or file the adapter end if it bottoms out or double up on copper crush washers. That's what I'd be looking at as an easy fix.....if luck is on ones side.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:10:28 am by cafeman »

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:52:05 am
Another possibility if a double banjo adapter can't be had is to try sourcing a union adapter with a male end (for the line to connect) and a female end with the same threads as the case bore, cut a bolt down in the length needed and drill a hole through it end to end. Run it into the case to catch the remaining threads and then thread the union onto it and connect the line. Hope it works out for you

capt.logs

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:38:29 am
Anyone know the size off hand for the rocker pipe.  Into the case is M8x1.0, but whats the tread for the pipe?  Thanks

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:07:04 am
I managed to overtighten and snap the union on my AVL hybrid leaving the bottom part stuck in the cases, though I was able to unscrew it with an improvised stud extractor made from a 5mm Allen key. The thread in the crankcase was 5/16" British Cycle Thread rather than 8mm, but there seem to be different threads for the top half of the union depending on the model. The broken union has some odd 7/16" thread, but the replacement supplied from Hitchcock's has 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe Thread, parallel, not tapered) which looks identical to the union in your photo.

Any help?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...