Author Topic: Recommended C5 Service Manual?  (Read 3940 times)

firecaptp7

on: July 09, 2015, 03:44:56 pm
 :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:42:01 pm by firecaptp7 »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:50 am
http://www.nfieldgear.com/uce-factory-service-manual/
NOT TO BE DISLOYAL; However, that looks like the manual I downloaded for FREE on line 2 years ago, then I sent the link to my local print shop got it printed up & bound for $20. It even has all the mistakes the expensive ones do.
 I also sent off for Pete Snidals UCE/EFI service manual on CD, & like it pretty well as a second opinion, it seems to have less mistakes & advice that I approve of as sensible.
A combination of these manuals gets the job done. Good thing, cause that's all there is out there.  Happy Hunting, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:38:51 am
Note that there is also a pdf file download for the Service Manual available from Nfieldgear for the fuel injected UCE's.

http://www.nfieldgear.com/uce-factory-service-manual-download/
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:04:41 pm
I got the Snidal manual for EFI but didn't really care for it, but I have a fair amount of experience.  If you need lots of help on something very basic like an oil change it might be just the right manual for you.  If you've done lots of wrenching before it's probably not for you.  His manual for the earlier bikes is brilliant and I'd buy one if I ever got an iron or AVL.

Scott

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:16:58 pm
I got the Snidal manual for EFI but didn't really care for it, but I have a fair amount of experience.

I bought the Snidal manual for the EFI, but was massively disappointed.  It must be the laziest update to an existing product I've ever seen.  The visual design looks like it harks from the '90s, the content is superficial and I think Pete Snidal put the minimum amount of effort into it.  I didn't find anything of use in it and found it unpleasant to use and read.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Freddy1

• Bulleteer

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 01:04:27 am
199? - 1995 or sofactory manual -  Invaluable for old part numbers. I use it all of the time. Not great if you are not a mechanic.
1999 or so - Pink Cover Factory workbook - Very rare. It has some items that the 1995(?) to 2004) factory shop manual did not have. Having both of them covers a lot of territory. Not good if you are newbie

Iron Barrel manual by Snidel - Good reference book, his best work on the RE.
Best Iron Barrel Manual Has some bad info but it is so limited I am not even going to mention it. It won't get anyone in trouble if they take it.

About 2006 or so (AVL manuals) the factory manuals started to improve markedly. Much better and more pictures better specs and better explanations. One thing you have to watch with all of the AVL and UCE factory books is that not all of them have the engine stuff in them. For example the original UCE book had the engine in it, Then when the later UCE and GT manuals came out they did not include an engine section because it had already been published it. Don't understand why.

UCE manuals are the best yet. I collect shop manuals of all types and they are good. In most cases with all shop manuals there is data that you might like to have more clearly stated. When I start in on any vintage car I always buy as many differnt manuals as I can. What one doesn't cover the next usually will.

The later Snidal manuals are "in theory only". Pete does not have a UCE so they are written at a distance
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:22:40 am
I should throw in here that the UCE manual assumes the reader already knows basic mechanics.

This means there are no "remove nut A and pull tab B out of the hole...." sort of guidance given.
It assumes one knows the "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy" rules for nuts and bolts, how to use a feeler guage and how to remove and replace snap rings.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:24:24 am
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=14841.msg162118#msg162118

Thanks for posting this, would anyone have a link so I can read the Snidal UCE manual? I brought a ebay copy of the EFI manual and see it is in the above post.

I also found this http://www.royalenfieldclub.gr/manual/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:38:44 am by tenacres650 »

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:45:01 pm
SURE WISH HAYNES WOULD DO A MANUAL. Never had a bad Haynes Manual.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 02:14:51 am
+1!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.