Author Topic: Question for the Experts?  (Read 4370 times)

Cafenut

• Scooter
on: August 14, 2008, 11:21:10 pm
 I'm going for the iron barrel deluxe. I was wondering what upgrades to the bike that you suggest? IE high pressure oil pump, exhaust system, 18 tooth sprocket and so on?

I would love to know what has work for you on your Bullets?

Thank you for the information!!!

Chris,
1973 Suzuki GT380K Sabring

Got to love these old bikes!

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:48:01 pm
I have an Iron barrel deluxe. I added the Flatside carb, low restriction air filter and the 50's style exhaust first. This would be my suggestion for a starting point. If you do the exhuast first, be sure to have jets to enrichen your stock carb as it could run lean and if anything it would be better to be a little on the rich side rather than lean.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:01 am
Break it in first.

You aren't going anywhere fast during the break in period anyway.

After it's broken in, the most bang for the buck is a freeflow exhaust system of your choice, freeflow air filter system, and a proper re-jet of the carb.
These mods combined are good for almost 25% increase in power to the rear wheel, without invading the engine. Well worth it for the money it costs.
The 18 tooth sprocket is good if you need a few lower rpms at cruising speed. I still have the 17T on mine, and I don't feel the need for 18. Stay off the interstates.
You don't need to do anything to the oil pumps. Leave them alone if they are working.
Keep it well tuned, don't run lean, and don't lug the engine, especially on hills.

I think the 7" headlight conversion is a good idea if you are going to ride at night.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:45:53 am
  I've heard that about the oil pumps too.Some who change pumps start having problems. Leave the oil pump be.Consensus is its fine for the stock Bullet engine.
    jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Cafenut

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:10:20 am
 Thank you everyone for the great respones!!!!

I think its great that I don't have to go into the engine right away.  I should clear something up. I will break it in first before doing anything. I thought there maybe somethings I needed to do from the on set.  I am very relieved that I don't.

I Had already planned to do the 7" Headlight conversion.

Thanks again for the information!!!!

Chris,
1973 Suzuki GT380K Sabring

Got to love these old bikes!

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:34:16 pm
I did the 7: headlight conversion, and the shorty old standard exhaust to replace the long tube that comes on the bike.  The exhaust pipe/silencer change didn't apparently need any carb rejetting, the power was upped, and the sound significantly improved!  It now has a nice deep hearty but not noisy thump instead of the former unpreposessing hiss.  And the light is much improved.  Also added the better sidestand (mine is a classic that comes sans sidestand), and the magnetic tank bag, for carrying maps and diddeley stuff along with a touring saddlebag set for larger junk.  1300+ miles and getting better all the time!  :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:17:35 pm
I did the 7: headlight conversion, and the shorty old standard exhaust to replace the long tube that comes on the bike.  The exhaust pipe/silencer change didn't apparently need any carb rejetting, the power was upped, and the sound significantly improved!  It now has a nice deep hearty but not noisy thump instead of the former unpreposessing hiss.  And the light is much improved.  Also added the better sidestand (mine is a classic that comes sans sidestand), and the magnetic tank bag, for carrying maps and diddeley stuff along with a touring saddlebag set for larger junk.  1300+ miles and getting better all the time!  :)

When you make the move to the K&N or other freeflow intake system, you'll suddenly see a big need for re-jetting.
The exhaust can only pull so much, and if the intake is restricted, you won't see the need for re-jetting as much. When you change the filter to a freeflow type, it will really show up, so have some larger jets on hand when you do that.
The combination of the intake and exhaust changes will suddenly work together to make a pretty big difference.
You'll feel the power increase, and you'll have to work thru some jet sorting because your bike will probably buck and spit until you get it right.
It took me a couple of days to sort out the jetting when I did my filter, and I already had the exhaust system on it at that time.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:20:19 pm by ace.cafe »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:28:11 pm
Ace Cafe: I have the brit style exhaust, did the k&n filtyer modification...What did u end up with for your pilot, main jet and where did u put your needle position..Just curious on your setup..pls advise..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:40:37 pm
I did the following (you can find pictures in the modifications section of the Gallery):

7" halogen conversion
English Style seat
18-tooth front sprocket (I had an '02 4-speed)
Heavy duty clutch springs
Ace cafe bars
bar end mirror
electronic ignition (the simple cheap one)
modern tires (Avon AM26 Roadrider)
Sealed battery

Plus some misc cosmetic changes (chrome fenders and distributor cap, new tail light).

Not really much in the way of performance changes other than the sprocket and ignition.

All of them were worth it to me.

The bigger sprocket made 45-55 cruising more comfortable.

With the electronic ignition there was no messing with timing or points. Hit the starter button and go (caveat, a good battery is VERY important if you have the EI, low voltage throws off the advance and causes massive pinging and loss of power).

The ace bars look great and are more comfortable at faster speeds, but they cause the controls to hit the tank, so you lose some of your low speed turning circle and they can be hard on the wrists in stop and go.

The tires were a big improvement. You lose some of the classic look, but the ride and handling improvement (at least to my butt) is substantial.

The English style seat is so much more comfortable than the stock seat I was amazed at the difference.

The light output of the 7" halogen is at least double the stock output.

If (when) I buy another Bullet, here is the order in which I would make changes:

1. Headlight
2. Tires
3. Seat
4. Ignition
5. bars
6. Countershaft sprocket

Later, time and money permitting, I would change the exhaust and upgrade the carb. But I have to say my stock exhaust sounded fantastic. Any change would be for asthetic reasons and not sound or performance.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:52:39 pm
Ace Cafe: I have the brit style exhaust, did the k&n filtyer modification...What did u end up with for your pilot, main jet and where did u put your needle position..Just curious on your setup..pls advise..cheers
I use the 28mm Mikarb.
I can't remember the pilot jet size, off the top of my head.
The main jet is a 125.
And I have my needle all the way up in the richest position, in the bottom groove.
And I still have an occasional slight spit at about 1/4 throttle, or slightly less, if it's not really well warmed up.
I have ordered a richer throttle slide, but they are  on back order now.
In the meantime, I judiciously re-tapered the needle at just the right spot to improve the mixture right at the problem area. I have some experience doing this from racing, and I don't normally recommend doing it, but I needed to get this handled while i'm waiting for the richer slide, and it seems to have done the trick.

I have the K&N cone-shaped filter on there, and I'm running a cold plug(BR9ES) with no problems. There is no pinging at all, and the plug looks good on the chops.
I have the BB Mk3 ignition.
My elevation is about 900' above sea level.
Starts up well on the 1st or 2nd kick. Idles nice after a minute or 2 of warming up, but needs a little babysitting on the throttle at first. Enrichment lever needs to come off within 30 seconds or it starts to get loaded up.
Bike runs real good all the way up to the top, although it is probably a touch rich on the large throttle openings. Thaks ok with me. I prefer a little rich at WFO.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:10:34 pm by ace.cafe »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:53 pm
Ace Cafe: Yes..I went up one size on the pilot (27.5) vice the 15 that came with it...Just went from 125 on main to 127.5..Have the needle at the richestsetting as u did...Still get a slight bit of sputtering taking off the first 1/4 mile but as the it warms up it seems to be okay..plug looks good...was wondering about the richer throttle slide and even richer needle jet...any thoughts on that....its a bit anoying to have the spit back and probably doing the throttle slide/needle enhancement would eliminate it entirely...oh tried that turbulator and at this writting I'm not impressed..I'm going to try and dial in the air mixture on the carb as after I installed it, it threw it off..I'm not saying its a problem yet but if

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 10:16:45 pm
AceCafe: Hit the send button accidentally..Dam dog and phone ringing..I must be getting old as I hate being messed with when I am on this website...My Zen is being screwed with...Anyway, I may be removing the turbulator if I can't get the carb dialed in better...Installed it as the direction stated and bike starts up fine but notice a difference with it in and I don't like it...If I can't get it straight, its coming out..cheers

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:00:08 am
i really love the way my bike runs  i put on the 535piston and jug, the british exhaust, 3 heavy duty clutch springs and the 35mm carb. the bike cruses along at 60 mph (67 indicated) effortlessly at 1/4 throttle i still have never opened it up all the way. had it up to an indicated 92mph whatever that really comes to. so i know i have plenty to spare at 65 mph. i usually cruise at 60mph on the main hwy's and love to burble along at 45 or 50 on the twisties around here oh yes i have the 19tooth sproket  actually the 18 would be sufficient. 6300 or so miles now.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 02:14:01 am
Bob u must be flying by the seat o your pants with that setup..r u using the stock tires 2...

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 02:17:39 am
yes its fun
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:43 am
Bob I had it up to 80 on the speedometer..probably more like 72-75...I'm surprise u didn't shake rattle n roll....got more guts than me brother..maybe if i had your setup but on the stock carb and just air mod, rejet and open exhaust 80 seem more at the 3/4 throttle...bike seems a bit light in the ass for those speeds but i'm gonna assume it was tempoary lack of reasoning or some bullshit macho shit....heee hee...cheers.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 02:36:45 am
temporary lack of reason does hit me every once and a while. but the tires only have 6300 miles on em' and it seems even more stable than the norton at speed.
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 02:48:06 am
Bob: okay that good to know.. do u believe that your setup still falls inline with engine longevity, as u r aware, snidal  goes into this engine longevity issue and is it a concern or is it more of hey,if it blows, I'll tear it down and give it ago again...just wondering what your opinion is re. that as I don't want to blow this thing up but I'm intrigued by your post of a bit over 1/4 throttle and you are hitting 60 consistently and obviously your machine is setup for highway use if needed to perform that way..cheers

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 03:08:08 am
time will tell. remember the bike is only going at 6/8ths of its capacity or less. i think it will ,last a long long time .
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:09 pm
Thanks!  That all is GOOD to know beforehand!
When you make the move to the K&N or other freeflow intake system, you'll suddenly see a big need for re-jetting.
The exhaust can only pull so much, and if the intake is restricted, you won't see the need for re-jetting as much. When you change the filter to a freeflow type, it will really show up, so have some larger jets on hand when you do that.
The combination of the intake and exhaust changes will suddenly work together to make a pretty big difference.
You'll feel the power increase, and you'll have to work thru some jet sorting because your bike will probably buck and spit until you get it right.
It took me a couple of days to sort out the jetting when I did my filter, and I already had the exhaust system on it at that time.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

scooberton

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 02:26:19 pm
Hey Banker Danny,What brand of elec.ignition do you have on your bike?Any problems with initial set up and maintenance?When I first got my bike Im thought that I would definitely get an electronic ignition but then I started to read a lot of posts by other RE bikers who indicated problems with there set up's and there was a point were I decided to stick with the old points and condenser ignition.In your opinion are they really a pain to set up and maintain or could it be the installer maybe?{not to be stepping on anyones feet}

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:21 pm
I installed the basic version sold by our host. http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/simple-electronic-ignition

Installation was not difficult. I paid very close attention to the location of the points so that I could install the ignition sensor in the same place.

When I was done it fired immediately. I never needed to mess with the timing.

It is VERY sensitive to the condition of the battery and charging system. If the battery doesn't hold a charge it causes the bike to misfire like crazy.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

scooberton

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 04:21:06 am
thanks for the information banker danny.please one more question.Would you say that  this ignition is overall better in most ways than the old stock points and condenser?Thanks Dave

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 06:45:10 pm
I think so.

Dealing with the points is really a minor inconvenience in the end. Almost 30 years ago when I had one of my Beetles, adjusting the points was a 15 minute job I had to do once a month. With the Bullet, if you make a habit of checking them regularly and keep the breaker cam lubed, they should be pretty trouble free.

Replacing them with the electronic ignition is just one less thing to have to adjust. Once EI is in and set, you can just forget about it. Plus it's less suceptable to water infiltration or vibration working the screw loose and allowing the points to close up.

In the end it's probably personal preference. I prefer the maintenance free aspect of EI, so I made the switch. I don't know that in the end the bike necessarily ran any better with EI than it would have with properly adjusted points.
Endeavor To Persevere

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 01:35:03 pm
So far I have put on a goldstar exhaust, K&N pod filter, re jetted (30 low speed, 130 main) and put on the hi-po oil pumps. The bike runs much better and carburates perfectly, even if it is slightly rich. My gas mileage increased also.  When replacing my stock oil pumps I did notice that I already had one hi-po pump in my bike from the factory......very strange. I don't understand why a lot of people don't like these pumps.  A lot of the guys in India use these pumps because of the slow speeds and heat. I visit the Indian site quite a bit and have never heard anyone say anything bad about the hi-po pumps. I can say for sure that my bike runs quieter and smoother with the pumps (and no, its not my imagination). If you install the 535 piston, I would for sure put in the higher volume pumps. These came stock in the 535s' because of overheating problems due to the higher compression and larger piston. If any of you doubt what I am saying, just ask Kevin or Dan Holmes. I am sure they know more about it than I do..........Dewey.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!