Author Topic: MacBook running Power Commander Control Center Software in Windows 7 VM?  (Read 6063 times)

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Does anyone have any experience installing and running the DynoJet Power Commander Control Center Software on a MacBook in a Windows Virtual Machine?

I run Windows 7 on my MacBook using Oracle's VirtualBox VM software all the time with no issues. I've never needed to make the host USB available to the Windows 7 guest, although in theory this should be possible.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this - or will I be breaking new ground? (I'm also waiting for a response from an email sent to DynoJet about this same topic)

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
VirtualBox software isn't sufficient. At least, not on Linux. It's not that you can't get access to USB, it's to do with the way the PCV is(n't) mounted as a device.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Thanks Medra42!

That gives me more info to work with. And DynoJet has replied to my email, saying they "know customers have done this but do not know the exact procedure."

To be honest, the lack of OSX compatibility won't stop me from buying the PCV. I'm waiting on my exhaust from Carpy. I'm getting his header and megaphone, but in raw stainless instead of polished. I'll order the PCV as soon as the exhaust arrives. Unless I take advantage of the July 4th weekend 15%-off sale at NField Gear.

I'm just trying to work through any potential PCV issues ahead of time, if possible. As a last resort I can beg time on a friend's laptop if I have to.

So the quest continues.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:54:49 pm by themikefish »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
I ran the software no problem on my desktop Mac (osx 10.8 ) running XP on a VirtualBox VM, but I haven't yet tried to connect the PCV to it.  Then my XP install failed and has locked me out, so I can't even try it!  :(

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
The software installs fine. But when you connect the PCV the software never finds the device. At least, that's my experience on Fedora Linux.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
I won't be getting around to solving my XP problem any time soon, so hopefully themikefish will give it a try and let us know what happens... good luck!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Worst case scenario, buy a used laptop off Craigslist for $100 and dedicate it to the pcv.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
I regularly use VMWare, VirtualBox and some other emulators, I can tell you that any USB device will work inside a VM if the guest OS has the drivers.

The USB port doesn't care what is passing through it and the host OS doesn't care what the VM is sending or receiving on the port. You do not need any drivers for the particular device on the host.
Since USB is a "universal" standard - its like a serial port - very protocol agnostic. 

former_rider

• Bulleteer
rep_movsd,
I hope you're right. I know I had problems getting VueScan software (running on the Win7 guest) to recognize my Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE film scanner. I never did get that working.

I'll probably order the PCV this weekend. I won't be installing it until my exhaust arrives, but I might start playing with the software as soon as it arrives.

thnx

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
I am running VMware's vSphere ESXI 4.1 on a few servers. I have one that has a RDX cartdridge drive attached to the host's USB port. I am backing up a VM with Windows 2008 server to the RDX with port mapping with no problems. I have also had web cams (server room visibility) hooked up to hosts and port mapped to Windows 7 VM's no issues.

Scanners can be tricky though they have some very finicky drivers. About the only way to find out is try. Like Scotty J said if it doesn't work you can get a cheap used laptop on Craigslist or eBay. One with XP would be cheap since support was cut last year. If you don't use it for anything but the PC-V it won't be problem though.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
What about running Win7 in a Bootcamp partition? I do that (with XP Pro originally and now with Win7) on my MacBook Pro and retain full USB functionality...

Works with the winch-control software I have to use for work; I should think Power Commander would run in it, too...  Maybe.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
I'm not quite technical enough to know the entire issue with why it doesn't work. But I've run VMW for years and always had USB, access to local drives, network, etc. The PC-V doesn't get mounted as a device in the same way that a camera or scanner does, and the lack of functionality under visualization is a known issue.

I wasn't able to discover the device in any of the 'normal' ways (looking through logs, etc.) on either my Linux host or on the Windows 7 machine.

That said, if anyone *does* get it to work, I'll be very interested to read your account.

Patryk1098

• Neophyte
Does anyone have any experience installing and running the DynoJet Power Commander Control Center Software on a MacBook in a Windows Virtual Machine?

Hey Everyone! I don't have a Royal Enfield, but I saw this thread during my search, and thought I'd respond -if not for helping the greater motorcycle community, then at least for posterity.

I'm a software engineer and long-term rider (mainly of superbikes and some dirtbikes).

I just got the Power Commander 5 and (dual) Autotune kit installed on my 2010 Ducati 1198S Corse Special Edition Superbike.

I installed the Power Commander 5 software on the following guest operating systems and VM software on my Mac Pro laptop (OSX 10.12.6):

VirtualBox (latest version at time of this post)
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 USB 2.0 & USB 3.0
Windows 7 USB 2.0 & USB 3.0
Windows 10 USB 2.0 & USB 3.0
---
Make sure to configure the Virtual Machine's USB configuration to use USB 2.0. It doesn't seem like 3.0 works.

From all of my attempts using VirtualBox, I've only had the software work ONCE with Windows 10 Pro and changing the settings to USB 2.0. Unfortunately, after the first session, it never worked again.

VMWare Fusion 8.5.10
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 USB 2.0
Worked instantly.

I'm not against free software, but I've noticed consistently that VirtualBox just doesn't compare to VMWare.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

kelsoo

• Scooter
There is also QEMU
https://www.qemu.org/
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)