Author Topic: Few questions on some of the new accessories..Amber headlight and pillion pads  (Read 2767 times)

ajsmith

• Scooter
Has anybody used either? I see the Amber headlight is not "DOT  Approved"..Is it useable at night?

Also,  regarding the pillion pad...Can it actually support a small passenger, such as my 110lb wife? The normal passenger seat bolts up higher to the frame without the weight on the rear fender....Curious as to observations.

heres a pic for those who don't know what Im referring to.

B5 Ben

• Scooter
 Not sure about the pillion, but I have seen a lot of guys here in California running amber headlights at night on all sorts of different types of bikes. Not sure if it is 100% road legal, but I do see them from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:36:19 am by B5 Ben »
2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
I use a pillion seat, but it's a different kind, likewise I use an gold bulb in my 7" headlight and it really makes things stand out at night.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Hi, The rear fender is very strong with the tubular brace around it. No problem for a 110 lb passenger. It will be more comfy is she sits on a folded jacket over the "Bum Pad" pillion seat.
  Amber light will probably be fine. Mine is equally questionable & I get thumbs up from cops all the time - They love Enfield's.
Great looking bike.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

ajsmith

• Scooter
Cool, that's what I needed to know! Thanks fellas

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
I can only say you will likely get away with the headlight UNTIL you run into a cop who's having a bad day and is going to take it out on someone.  I have to be careful as we have a town here that's a known speed/enforcement trap. 375 people and third on the number of ticket issued in the state? I think they might be on the AAA list!

Anyway I was going to put a pair of aux on the KLR and read the code on light placement. The center of an aux light can not be higher that the center of the factory headlights to be legal on the road. The mounts I had placed the aux lights a good 6 inches above the headlight. Glad I read that as I would have ended up on the side of the road within a week.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
The thing is, each State has its own laws and usually they are unique to that State.

It's a good idea to Google your States name plus "headlight requirement", or something like that.

Then, look for web addresses that include your states name and DMV so you get to the answers to the requirements rather than getting directed to someplace in your state trying to sell you new headlights.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
 :)Great point on correct address

Otto_Ing

I like the amber headlights, however not seen them anywhere on sale. I would like them for the ContiGT. Where do you guys buy those?

ajsmith

• Scooter
nfieldgear.com

And I just got it 15% off   8) ;D

LeeEnfield

• Scooter
  • Saskatchewan, Canada
I have the amber headlight and it's absolutely useless at night. I suppose if you're in a well lit city it would probably be good enough, but as a sole source of illumination on a dark highway or country road it's dangerously dim. I tried riding at night with mine and was white knuckling in second gear.

It looks great though and is easy to swap out if you need to.