Author Topic: Ticking/Clicking Noise On Start Up  (Read 5546 times)

firecaptp7

on: June 28, 2015, 11:34:30 pm
 :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:39:04 pm by firecaptp7 »

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:19:16 am
While it's always difficult to say without standing next to the bike, it sounds a bit like the infamous auto-decompressor.  Some bikes have this noise at lower RPMs and some have them through the rev-range.  Occasionally, owners will reduce their idle below the factory recommended specs and they tend to have more of an issue with this than those with factory specified idle speed.  Look inside your airbox (right side box) and it will give you the specs.  Use caution before adjusting anything on the EFI.  The screw you are after is way up top - like you may want to remove your seat to adjust it on top- big and brass.  There other screw lower down is not the screw you are after.

There is also a bit of inherent noise with the valves on this bike. Nothing to obsess or worry over.  Try recording it and posting it on Youtube with a link here on the forum.  The gang will give you a good assessment of what it may be.

Remember - loud valves save lives!!!
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:02:15 pm
My money is on exhaust leak. The gaskets are notoriously lame, and any bit of loss of seal quickly results in a lot more loss of seal. I have replaced 4 so far. Compounding the issue is the fact I have a butterfly bar on the bike that really limits proper fitting of the butt end of the pipe to the head, solely because of the O2 sensor resting on the bar. It's a pain in the ass. So far, I've got it fixed but I bought extra gaskets, as a precaution.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:28:55 pm
Here is a link to how the auto decompressor works-
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=21199.0

Since the search engine on this forum doesn't always work try Googling
enfieldmotorcycle.com + autodecompressor  and you should find all the threads on this subject.

1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:30:12 pm
Thanks, Gentlemen. I have listened carefully and placed my hand near the exhaust port/pipe when the noise occurs and don't believe that's the source. I'm not familiar with the "auto-decompressor" but the noise does seem to occur during a cold start up when the idle is slow.
Jerry
It's probably the auto-decompressor hitting the lifter. That is a common source of that kind of noise. There have probably been a thousand mentions of it in the archives.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:50 pm
For whatever it's worth, my bike is always made a noise like that when cold. It stops within about 2 minutes as the bike warms up.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:45 pm
mine does it from time to time too. clicks few times, sometimes, when engine cold and for that day i think i won't hear it anymore.
i had one recording handy. is it this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p68c4h1qjvs00r/Clicking2.m4a?dl=0

this one was especially bad but i think it was one of those winter days
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:51 pm
...Is that mechanism located near the left lower engine portion?

No.  The auto-decompression device is in the exhaust cam which is located in the lower right side of the engine, the right side being on the right as you sit on the seat.

The decompressor is supposed to start operating when the engine speed falls to below 700 rpm during shutdown.

Because it is controlled by centrifugal force operating on a flyweight, sometimes cold, thick oil will keep it from working after the engine starts.  Usually, slightly revving the engine a bit will get it to release and stop making the clattering sound.

If the oil is hot, the flyweight should work as it should so you shouldn't hear this while the engine is idling.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

woofhound

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:41 am
Firecapt,
I had the very same issue on my 2013 Bullet Classic. I got mine this year in Feb. Does it sound a bit like a lifter tick maybe? That's what mine sounded like. After completing the break in (1,000 miles) I noticed the noise had been reduce to just a few seconds of clicking. Now, with just over 3,000 miles, the noise is all but gone. Occasionally, on an especially cool morning, the bike will make one or two clicks until I rev it once, but then it stops and I don't hear it for the rest of the day. Another thing that I believe helped is that I switched to a full synthetic oil at 1,000 miles. This also made a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the gear changes.  I attribute this to the aluminum in the engine essentially polishing itself out to a sheen.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:19:21 am
I had a constant ticking on cold start and idle. Usually let up when warm or sometime I could still hear it at speed. I had like 10,000 miles on mine I think before trading in. I can honestly say I never had engine problems and no I did not baby my bike.  It seems when they are built right the bikes are hard to kill.  I would be more concern with the header pipe as other mentioned just check to make sure it is tight frequently. After several thousand miles my bike was extremely smooth which I know others have said the smooth out as well but my bike was awesome.  The only issues I had was the kick stand plates where warped so the sensor would deploy stalling the bike. The dealership simply disabled it not sure that is wise and the seat came unglued.  Oh wait one more issue the bulbs, just replace them with the led ones and get a better head light (can't remember the model GE something lot of help right? sorry).  I miss my Mil RE but I had to have something to run long distance on the interstate.  I wish you many of safe miles on that head turning bike of yours.
Signature

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:25 pm
When I bought my 2015 new, the dealer in Ohio told me about the ticking before even starting the bike up for me the first time.  They said it's normal when the engine is cold and that it goes away within a minute or two and said the only time to worry was if it didn't go away.   I've noticed on some of the hotter days we've had here this summer, 90 degrees plus, it hasn't ticked at all.  I'm no expert on the RE's having only purchased mine in April, but my advice is to just ride and enjoy.... :)
Miles