Author Topic: WTF - TM32 loosing it's jets!  (Read 2675 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 28, 2015, 04:02:47 am
 >:( Im having a weird year with my carb. 

1st.  Blew the air adjust screw out of the carb (same day I laid it down).  Got a new one all was good.
2nd. Went to ride today, and it started, but wont hold idle.. then I couldnt start it at all.  Thought it was electrical, so I tore it down... no problems and fat spark at the plug.  Ripped apart the carb and found there is NO AIR JET (No. 53 on the sudco diagram http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/exptm.gif).  WTF.  Cant find it...  Its not in the airbox, nor bowl.  Wondering if the intake took it.  Looked inside at the intake value; nope.  Looked in thru the plug opening; nada.  Looked thru exhaust; zip.  Where the hell did it go and how did it get out?? 

Anyone have a similar experience?

Edit:  Looking at the tm 32 specs.  Does this carb even come with an air jet?  I doubting myself now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:07:38 am by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:50:01 pm
I have never seen an air jet in a TM32. But, I never really looked for one, either. ;D

Regarding the bleed screw, it should not be turned out more than 3 turns, and even that is getting risky. Supposedly, the spring force is supposed to keep it from unscrewing itself.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:21 pm
>:( Im having a weird year with my carb. 
1st.  Blew the air adjust screw out of the carb (same day I laid it down).  Got a new one all was good.
2nd. Went to ride today, and it started, but wont hold idle.. then I couldnt start it at all.  Thought it was electrical, so I tore it down... no problems and fat spark at the plug.  Ripped apart the carb and found there is NO AIR JET (No. 53 on the sudco diagram http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/exptm.gif).  WTF.  Cant find it...  Its not in the airbox, nor bowl.  Wondering if the intake took it.  Looked inside at the intake value; nope.  Looked in thru the plug opening; nada.  Looked thru exhaust; zip.  Where the hell did it go and how did it get out?? 
Anyone have a similar experience?
Edit:  Looking at the tm 32 specs.  Does this carb even come with an air jet?  I doubting myself now.

I only just read this this morning (Thursday 8 AM). What have you figured out & what's the latest?

I would go down right now & look at mine if you need me to. If you don't, fine, because my hands (& everything else) hurt  :(

As far as I remember, Part #53 is in there on mine.

How do you think your air screw came out? Anything new on that?

Mine is running great except I still haven't hit that sweet spot to where I can kickstart it first thing in the morning. It just refuses. Once it's been started & running once (with the ES) then I can kick it 1st or 2nd kick every time & it drops into a perfect, hands off (orgasmickly thumping) idle.

Of course, our bikes don't compare totally because of the ACE headwork on mine, but our experiences with the TM-32 seem similar. She can be a touchy bitch. I think part of my initial-kick-start-in-the-morning problem could very well be because of the increased CR which is 9.8:1 on mine & I will just have to live with it. It starts instantly cold with the ES so what am I complaining about?  ;) The friggin' thing is amazing otherwise. Getting to 60mph is smooth as silk & very quick & 60 is perfectly comfortable feeling in 4th & unbelievably comfortable in 5th.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:10:51 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:15 am
FWIW - My TM 34 also doesn't have an air jet.

I had a weird problem of not starting at all and it was later traced to a loose pilot jet which had unscrewed by itself and was sitting on the main jet plastic cover!!

If the bike runs well but isn't holding idle - maybe there a air leak around the carb manifold?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:09 pm
FWIW - My TM 34 also doesn't have an air jet.

I had a weird problem of not starting at all and it was later traced to a loose pilot jet which had unscrewed by itself and was sitting on the main jet plastic cover!!

If the bike runs well but isn't holding idle - maybe there a air leak around the carb manifold?

Of course, your TM 34 has an air screw (air/fuel mixture screw). Both the TM32 and the TM34 have an idle mixture screw that is an air screw as opposed to a fuel screw. (It's not an "air jet", it's a tapered needle screw that moves in and out of a fixed size hole in the carb body).

The air mixture screw is Part #49 on the parts diagram linked below:

http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams123/exptm.gif

Turning this screw CW (in) will richen your mixture; turning it CCW (out) will lean it.

Nope, I've got no air leaks and I've got mine just right now (it ain't easy) and it's running better than perfect now. It runs so good it's scary. That posting of mine that you just answered is a month old.

You've got to get your air screw adjusted correctly at idle (along with the right pilot jet for your intake and exhaust plus the right needle height) with a well warmed up engine or it will never idle correctly. It can cause all kinds of problems like black plug and dieing at stop signs. Or dieing just as you roll on the throttle from a dead idle.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:51:32 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.