Author Topic: Why the Connie?  (Read 11085 times)

Andy 535

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 09:47:24 pm
The title of this topic really confused me. I always thought a "Connie" was a Constellation.
To answer the question, I've always wanted a Caff Racer but so far I've been too lazy to build one. The CGT looks good and rides well too. The only thing it lacks is a bit of speed; but we can fix that!
it just came of in me 'and chief!

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 01:09:45 pm
The title of this topic really confused me. I always thought a "Connie" was a Constellation.
To answer the question, I've always wanted a Caff Racer but so far I've been too lazy to build one. The CGT looks good and rides well too. The only thing it lacks is a bit of speed; but we can fix that!

Then, until it's return, may I borrow it?
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

xpertmachinist

• Bulleteer
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 03:19:02 pm
I am also think the retro cafe' GT looks great. I broke 300 miles last week so I did the service , oil change and tightened all the bolts.  Sunday I had the chance to take this bike up the canyon and on the peak to peak highway.  8500ft -10000ft   some steep grades, and plenty of winding road to make most peoples heart beat fast.

I was very impressed with the handling, the sport demon tyres held true. The seat was comfortable, and easy enough to get my ass off when I was laying the GT down in the line. Suspension was stiff enough for quick reaction, and light enough not to beat my kidneys into pulp.

My only complaint could be lack of horsepower, explosive horsepower to get yourself out of a situation. There was plenty of torque, when using the shift points and keeping in the 2200-3000 rpm range. Weather was sunny with bursts of rain and small ice. BTW I am no skinny minny, my weight is 21 stone.
Although I bought the GT for its retro styling, It rides as nice as it looks.
That's my 2 cents worth.

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 12:26:29 pm
I found this thread after doing a search for cartridge emulators, so here's my answer.

It was basically the looks plus I'd had quite a few big singles and enjoyed them and I always wondered what an older style longer stroke, heavier flywheel single would be like. I'd also found myself getting increasingly less interested in all the new and current models that the bike press got all excited about and my days of getting a buzz from plastic fantastics were well gone. So, 3 years after buying the GT I'm still really enjoying it which brings me back to emulators. I think these will be this winter's upgrade. Has anyone fitted them? I assume that the fork's action afterwards is an enormous improvement over the pogo stick-a-like stockers?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 01:47:33 pm
I installed a set of Ricor Intiminator fork cartridges in the forks of my 2009 BMW F650GS twin about 7 years ago.  See attached photos.  They were very easy to install. All I had to do was to remove the forks, drop out the springs, change the oil to a lighter 5 wt., drop in the Ricor cartridges, replace the springs and bolt everything back together. They made a huge improvement in the performance of the "650's" (really an 800cc twin) fork action. Their cost at the time was something like $200 for the set of two. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that Ricor doesn't make a set of cartridges for the GT fork.  But I do like the idea if you can find one that will work for your specific application.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 02:14:47 pm
Hi Richard230, Thanks for replying. Racetech list a set for the GT at $170. I don't know how much that would translate to here in UKsville but I will be looking into it and any possible alternatives when I take the bike off the road for winter.

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 08:55:09 am
I have a modern Suzuki Gixer, a classic Honda race bike & am restoring a yamaha race bike from the early 70's

I wanted a classic bike, that could just put on my jacket & lid and ride. Initially looked at classic machines from the 60's but the amount of maintenance needed on these is high (same for my race bikes) so the Conti fits the bill.

Jump on it whenever the urge takes, service & mot it once a year and just ride it - as a bonus, it attracts a lot of attention, so good for posing!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 03:04:04 pm
I don't have a Continental, but my 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Belly "Military" sort of found me.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:07:58 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 09:40:53 pm
My only complaint could be lack of horsepower, explosive horsepower to get yourself out of a situation. There was plenty of torque, when using the shift points and keeping in the 2200-3000 rpm range.

How the heck are you keeping it below 3,000? Mine starts stuttering like it's wanting to die if I go below 3k.

I got the CGT because it was the look I wanted, the price was low, and seemed reliable enough from a little research on the internet. Also it's my first bike so the price was low enough that if I dropped it or hurt it, it wouldn't feel so bad. And seems like it's easily worked on so I can learn more about customizing and maintaining bikes.

Last but not least, it looks like my dream bike, the Ducati Sport 1000 from Tron Legacy!

My next bike will probably be a Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer.

Here's the Tron Legacy bike for comparison.

.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 10:13:20 pm
I chose the CGT because of the brakes, frame, power compared to the 500 (though it's still lacking) and good looks.  I was also hoping it would be a chick magnet... unfortunately it appears to be a bloke magnet. Went shopping today and in side 20 minutes 3 guys collared me and asked about the bike.
I wanted a bike I could work on myself. A simple and economical bike, a bike I could handle as I get older, pick up if I dropped it. Something to play with, be versatile and allow me to tweak from bog standard, to cafe racer to scrambler/ street tracker within a day or so. Something not to expensive and with good support and I didn't mean from the manufacture.
I also wanted something with some grunt.

I didn't intend to buy a new machine. I went to see a second hand one that turned out to be sold and the dealer wooed me. Also the new one seemed better value. Partly because the CGT seems to hold it's price and also because the dealer needed space for 15 new MV Augusta so offered me a deal. In the end I figured the 1000 difference between a 2018 machine and a 2016 was probably worth it. I also think it's a future classic given the pretty short run it's good looks and being at the top end of the range.

The things I didn't expect from it:
Japanese  build quality, power, and the heat shield to vibrate off after 250 miles! I mean I read they vibrate and to check the bolts but 50  miles before first service was due just adds insult to injury.

The things I dislike about it:
The fact I will have/will have to spend to make as I'd like it to be coming out of the factory. I'm thinking anti-vibration plate, mirrors you can see in, dual seat and more power. But no bike ticks every box.
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

adamGT

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 02:59:26 pm
Kelsoo,

I wouldn't say RE has Japanese build quality. Give it some time... Just my experience.

-A

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:29 am

... I was also hoping it would be a big chick magnet... unfortunately it appears to be a bloke magnet.

There you may have made a serious miscalculation.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:59:29 pm by oTTo »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 01:16:41 pm
Regarding the "chick magnet" thing, I think that the women most often don't know one bike from another, and just go for a guy that they like who rides a bike.
If you have a clean nice looking bike and the woman likes you, the bike is good enough for that task.

If you are lucky enough to have found a chick that likes vintage big singles, marry her!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 11:33:40 pm
You are probably more likely to gather a crowd of interested younger females by riding a pink 60's vintage scooter with a hello kitty theme but the likelihood it will lead anywhere is minimal.

Yep, actually the pic below is what a "Connie" means for most people not into Enfields:

https://i.redd.it/310oi8xx15h11.jpg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:40:18 pm by GlennF »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:07 pm
I seem to recall that the first time I ever flew, as a kid, was alone on a Constellation to Boston. Anyhow, it had that triple tail thing in the back, which I thought looked cool. I remember the stewardesses fauning over me, which was before surly "flight attendants" that resemble bridge trolls. All the Cokes I could pound back. The pilot also came back and gave me some flight wings. Still got 'em somewhere. I'll have to dig 'em out and pin 'em on the Belstaff. I think it may have been the old Eastern Airlines, and "Eastern" would be entirely right and proper for an Enfield, right?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.