Author Topic: Blue Sky!  (Read 2173 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: June 28, 2015, 01:22:14 pm
For the first time in about three weeks there's sunshine and no call for rain. Needless to say I am taking the C5 out for a nice long ride, only the second one since I bought it due to rain and other things.

Starting off today with 58 miles on the clock, we'll see where it is when I get home. Now off to check the tires and oil and off with a hearty HI HO Blacky!
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:26:54 pm
Remember to take breaks and let that motor cool down while it's breaking in.  ;)  Have fun!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:00:50 pm
Did 120 miles today, takes a while when you're limited to 30-40MPH and have to stop all the time to cool the motor down BUT that's breaking in. I now have a major complaint about this bike...why'd I wait so long to buy it? It's a hoot to putt around on and everywhere I stopped people wanted to know all about it. I gave it a bit more gas than last ride as it seemed to want it and I found it pulls a lot better than I thought it would. I did get over 45MPH once...with the clutch in on a long downhill just coasting, you know the type I mean the ones with the "Truckers Use Lower Gears Steep Hill" sign.

I topped off the tank on the way home and checked mileage just over 80MPG? Can that be right? I know I'm just putting along but that's just a sip.

I did adjust idle up a bit as there was a loud clacking sound coming from the top end that went away with just a touch of gas so I thought Auto Compression release is kicking in it's turning so slow! I gave it maybe a 1/8 turn and the clacking stopped, plus it wanted to bog down and die unless I blipped the throttle and now it's maybe 50 RPM higher and idles nicely. I have to get a automotive Multimeter with a tach, HF as one for about $30.00.

Here's a photo with the 7" headlight and Bullet Blinkers on I took today, sorry I used my phone.

Bad new? Back to rainy weather starting tomorrow for the rest of the week. AT this rate I'll have it broken in by Christmas!

2012 Kawasaki Versys

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:38 pm
It sounds like you really enjoyed the ride. :)

Yes, riding nice and easy like you are, 80 mpg isn't uncommon at all.
Even more spirited riding after it is thru its break in period will still end up giving you 70 mpg or better.

Speaking of that, my dealer told me when I picked up my new bike back in 2011, riding short distances at 45 mph (73 kmph) would be fine in 5th gear as long as I was just cruising and not trying to accelerate.

That was good news to me because although the speed limit on most city streets here is 40, almost everyone drives about 5 mph over the posted limit.

Have fun. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:12 pm
Yes I did, I can tell this bike and I are going to be good friends! It may not be fast BUT it's a great "Way Back Machine" to some great time in my pass. I other words it's just plain fun!

Well here I'm hiding in the bushes as the roads are 55 and the fools drive about 70. So I have to sneak and slide around the edges until I get in the country where I can ride without becoming road kill.

I screwed up on my 80MPG by thinking I had a tripmeter and I don't after taking that into account I'm ?down? to 76MPG...I'll take it!

One thing I found it the little motor in the RE doesn't know what "LUG" means! It just chugs right along happy as can be.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:14:09 pm by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:15 pm
The MPG and slowness of the CGT is one of the reasons I got the thing to begin with. There's nowhere I need to go that I can't get to on a backroad or two. And, since these things are designed and sold to an Indian market, with crazy traffic there in Chennai, etc., I knew it'd handle great in city traffic.

So, at any rate, I'm getting in the 60's and I get to/from work in the same amount of time, while the silly bastards around me are in ugly cars barely eeking out high 20's.

Oh, and did I mention that I get to ride in the HOV lane in Atlanta if I do decide to hop on the interstate for a few exits? Smooooth sailin'. ;)
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:27 am
Things just get better and better with mileage.  Try different tire pressures as you break it in as it really affects the handling.  I currently am running 34 rear 31 front and I weigh 200 lbs.  Now have over 6000 miles and am getting 71 to 73 mpg on a regular basis.  Have tried using all grades of fuel and feel no difference between them.  I use straight weight Castrol HD 40 (two quarts plus 4 oz of Marvel Mystery oil ) and as an aside, the gearbox is the smoothest of ANY motorcycle I have ever owned.  One added feature I installed is a led light in the neutral window to better see in the sunlight.  These bikes are truly "Time Machines" which offer great pleasure.  Enjoy.