Author Topic: sputter throttle just open  (Read 2793 times)

clank

• Scooter
on: June 23, 2015, 07:56:16 pm
Hi, starts good, idles pretty good, runs good at more open throttle. It's when the throttle is just open (less than 1/8) it sputters or misses no matter what gear. I have adapted my riding/throttle technique to avoid being embarrassed when riding past people. It's 59 Indian Chief, 30 pilot jet. It has HD mufflers and a stock air filter. When I set the points and timing I noticed I had rotated the distributor to it's max counterclockwise in effort to have the points just open at (what was it, 18 degrees?)BTDC. It seems like I need to turn it farther to be correct. I have the air screw around half to 1 turn out and it seems like I might still be a little lean. Question is, should I be looking at ignition or carb at this point. I can't seem to adjust either any further to get improvement. Thanks.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:00 pm
Sounds like the carb is too lean.  But you shouldn't have the points maxed at either end of the spectrum.  Might want to look into that more.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

clank

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:23 pm
carb is my best guess also, but I'll have the air screw all the way in if I keep going. Also tried to check for air leaks at the manifold. Maybe it's lean just because of the mufflers? As far as the timing, I will research if the distributor may have been positioned wrong when installed limiting the range of adjustment. Not sure if it works that way.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09:38 am
What exhaust are you running and what is the altitude where you ride??

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:58:28 am
At 1/8 throttle, it could need a richer slide cutaway.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

clank

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:02:33 am
Mufflers are HD 65380-90. I'm near Toronto, I don't know what the altitude is but sometimes I feel pretty high. I would say the sputter or misfire is at less than 1/8 throttle.
The spark plugs are brown. Tonight it was running worse and even let out a wheeze and stalled. Could it be weak spark? Could I need to advance the spark farther (I can't it's as far as it goes).

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:13:17 am
Is that an Amal 389 on there?

clank

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:20 pm
Yes, a 389.  Problem solved. I blasted contact cleaner up the passage for the pilot jet and it has solved the sputter when first crack open of the throttle. Along the way I also found fuel tap (petcock) partially blocked and a very loose connector on the HT wire.