Author Topic: again - rear brake spring chewed up in 3 pieces and… questions  (Read 2524 times)

alladinko

• Bulleteer
hey guys, first time i wrote about this in UCE forum, sorry, maybe it affects more people. one day my brake was doing super noise, so i opened it and one of the springs inside was broken in pieces. after i replaced it with new one - the bike lost almost all vibrations. just sayin
now again - bad brake noise so i kind of assumed that the replacement spring i put there found the same fate and it did. i had new springs ordered from nfield gear and put it in.. and i was looking at the arrow pointy thing. what is this for? cuz when i assemble everything how it should be - the thing will point at the little zero there. BUT - that means the brake is little bit engaged. when the pads are not pushing at all on the drum - the arrow should be pointing way above that zero. so whats that for. just a pointer for me? or adjusting tool? do i influence the brake in any way if you move it (reposition it)? shuld you reposition it? i should find the real zero point when brakes dont engage and i should loosen the nuts holding that pointy thing and should move it so it points to the 'real zero point'? there are little letters S and O. i hope you know what i mean, i just dont understand anything at this point :) thanks guys

attached pics - the spring and the arrow pointing thing, pointing to the spot when the brakes are most closed (which is way above the little zero mark)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:55:13 pm by alladinko »
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
that's just an external wear indicator
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

alladinko

• Bulleteer
in few years i'll know everything! :D i should just write a list of all the beginner questions and get it over with :)
thanks, sir
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
That brake pad wear indicator must have been added to the motorcycle some time after the Repair Manual was written.

My PDF copy of the Repair Manual doesn't show it in the photos and doesn't even mention how to set it.

If I were to guess at how to set it it would be:

•With the rear brake actuator rod adjustment nut totally removed or unscrewed so that it exerts no force on the brake arm, set the pointer so that it aligns with the upper mark on the chrome plate.  Tighten the nut that holds the pointer in this position.

•Adjust the brake actuator rod adjustment nut to limit the movement of the foot pedal to 25mm (1 inch)** of travel between its applied and free positions.

•Verify a free running condition of the rear brake when the brake pedal is left untouched and a locked condition when the brake pedal is fully applied.

** I don't like 25mm (1 inch)  of pedal travel for my rear brake foot pedal, much preferring something around 19mm (3/4 inch) max.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

alladinko

• Bulleteer
guys… may i say here WTF! :( when did i put the new spring in?? 2 days ago? 3? today i decided to go to my dealer about my seat cover peeling off. on the way there already the brakes started to sing again. every time they did this - i opened the drum and the stupid spring was in pieces. i am SICK of it (but to be fair i dont know if its the same this time, i had no time today to check it again after the ride).… will update over the weekend, will take the wheel off again but if it's the spring for 3rd time - there will be heads rolling.. or brakes rolling. i'm sooooooo done with it. can i just ride??!?!
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
did you get this sorted out, I'd be interested to know if they found the cause?