Author Topic: Personal Messages  (Read 3172 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: June 23, 2015, 05:44:18 am
Has anyone figured out how to see all of the comments in a Private Message at one time this site?

I get a PM from someone and I answer it.  The computer tells me I sent my answer but I can't see it to verify I sent what I really meant to send.

Then, if the person sends me back an answer or adds another question, I can see what he just wrote but I still can't see the comments I had previously made so I have to rely on my "mind like a trap" memory to remember what I said.
Of course, that can lead to all sorts of fun.

Anyway, does anyone here know how to set something in the PM area so I can see all of the comments, both his and mine, all at once?

It might look like this:

Sender: What did you use to get rid of the problem?

Me:  A shovel.

Sender: How big?  The pile is too big for my wives little garden trowel.

Me: It was smaller than a snow shovel.  I guess it was about the size you would use for digging a normal hole.
Speaking of holes, I also dug one of those to dump the offending pile into.

Sender:  That's a good idea.  I never realized a German Shepard could make such a big pile of dog crap before we got Pee Wee and he's only about 65 pounds.  I may need a snow shovel by the time he's full grown.

Me:  Snow shovels and dog crap can throw your back out.  Better get one of those garden tractors with the plow on the front. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:43:56 am
Jim - sounds like PM's are the least of your worries!  ;)

As far as I know, PM's work just like regular threads on the forum... you can "quote" a post, but it will only include the most recent text - previous quotes get left behind.  If you want running quotes of multiple posts, you've gotta copy and paste between "quote" tags manually.  I think...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:28 pm
I generally just quote what the other person said, and hope they do it back.  Otherwise, you can always click on the "Save A Copy In My Inbox" before you click send, and it will send a copy to yourself as well.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:49 pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I'll start grabbing the senders post and pasting it into my reply and then hit the Save a Copy button.
It does sound like a pita though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:55:19 pm
The only way around it is each person quote every response every time, and then it will show up as an actual conversation in your inbox.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:45:35 pm
When you're writing a new personal message, there should be an option under the message entry box that says "Save a copy to my outbox".

If you check that box, you'll be able to see a copy your message in "Sent Items" later. I don't know why that's not the default behavior, honestly... but that's how it's done in SMF.

-RW
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:21 am
Thanks.  I'll give it a try next time. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe