Author Topic: Pannier rattle?? On a 08 Military, folded cardboard for now  (Read 1881 times)

erob123

• Bulleteer
Help guys got the rattle.  Never thought. But guess so.
Eric

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:58:37 am
A little bit of self-adhesive foam weatherstripping applied judiciously to the proper spots on the inside of the pannier frames should do the trick.

Should be available at any hardware store or Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:32 am
I took 3/8 black coolant hose and chopped it up into 1" sections.  Then split it down the side and put it over the pannier bars in the appropriate locations, no more rattle!  Next project is to use auto undercoating on the inside to make them water resistant.  My tools and everything get wet each time I ride in the rain. 
Fir Na Dli

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:40:00 pm
The military has some additional issues the other models don't have.

The panniers are a sore spot on the military. Mine already had the latching hasps break off. The rattle problem was solved with some old inner tube sandwiched between the frame and box.

To me the manufacturer (our Indian friends) is dropping the ball on the panniers. They are not very well constructed. Lid to box fit is kinda a joke. Customers shouldn't have to retrofit the panniers to make them work.

I have a bungee cord on mine until I decide what lid fastenng system to go with.

To the factory I would also suggest that you don't put shiny silver exhaust pipes on an all green military bike. Duh.

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:56:19 pm
Right On!  A Black Cherry Bomb would look good.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:08:26 pm
The little gold coloured overcentre cupboard catches @ about 2.20ukp a pair with some single sided foam stuck over the inner lip of the panniers (and some of this foam in between the pannier frame and boxes in strategic places) solved all the rattles on mine!

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin