Author Topic: Vermont ride suggestions?  (Read 1086 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: July 20, 2016, 12:40:28 pm
Not really a ride report - yet - so I thought I'd ask here...

For those of you familiar with Vermont: I've ridden up and down New Hampshire a couple of times, now I'm looking at a ride which includes a north-to-south run of Vermont.  Google maps wants me to ride 91S all the way from St. Johnsbury; I want nice back roads, of course!  I'm thinking of staying on the eastern side of the state for sake of time.   Anyone have any must-check-out suggestions for roads, food, etc?

Neil, you still out there?

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:01:50 am
Vermont Rt 100 runs basically the entire length of the state, with a little of everything the Green Mountains have to offer. It would be my choice for a top to bottom ride. Pick it up off of 5 in Newport, ride it all the way south to North Adams Mass. Wonderful twisty two lane through the central spine of the Greens with tons of great places to stop or explore on the way. Don't forget to grab some Lawson's on your way through the Mad River Valley, right after you stop at one of the many swimming holes in the Mad. Get your hang-off on through Granville Gulf. Eat ice cream at the Ben and Jerrys factory in Waterbury or pick up some heady topper at the Alchemist Brewery in Stowe. Plan on a meal at Prohibiton Pig in Waterbury. Even if you aren't hungry. Beautiful quick hikes abound if you need to stretch your legs. Go get some.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:15:34 am
Wow, thanks!  I've heard that portions of rt 100 are unpaved; is this true?  If so, do you know where?

"Get my hang-off on"?  By riding twisties?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:03:43 am by mattsz »

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 03:09:42 am
Granville Gulf has some great curves, as does the stretch of 100 between Rt 4 and Rt 103. You can practice your motoGP style hanging off to keep your hustle on.... Or just burble along sedately enjoying the view. Of course, the difference between those on the Enfield is about 5mph.....  ;D

Unless they are working on the road, it's all paved. The stretch between Stowe and Waterbury looks like it's getting worked on (about 10 miles). Here's a map of current road projects:
http://vtrans.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?appid=2b310c475274402bb9a03eadd69991bf
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:53:18 am
I'd have to agree with lemming on the Rt 100 suggestion.  A great road for bikes, especially RE's.  That said there are many great roads in VT with the longer rides tracing the east and west borders (so called Champlain byway & Connecticut River byway). Rt 100 runs the spine of the Green Mtns so lots of twisties involve.  Here's another link with info on other possibilities.
https://www.vermontvacation.com/vermont-byways
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:00 pm
I'd have to agree with lemming on the Rt 100 suggestion.  A great road for bikes, especially RE's.  That said there are many great roads in VT with the longer rides tracing the east and west borders (so called Champlain byway & Connecticut River byway). Rt 100 runs the spine of the Green Mtns so lots of twisties involve.  Here's another link with info on other possibilities.
https://www.vermontvacation.com/vermont-byways

That's a great site, I hadn't seen that before (though I have seen the "byway" road signs)! New bucket list entry....

Blues, we should try to connect with Matt when he burbles through our zone. Maybe meet him at Pro Pig, and ride with him down to Killington? September is a little tricky for me, but depending on dates I might could pull off a day. Sadly, I won't be on an Enfield. Mine ended up in Cali after a cross-country trip under a new owner.