Author Topic: How much does the first service cost?  (Read 12550 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 04:25:10 am
I think that First Service should start with 60 points check list of Pre-Delivery Inspection List of Royal Enfield. It has torques for certain nuts/bolts.

The second document First Service List of Royal Enfield in India has 22 check points.

The points from second document such as Washing and Cleaning the motorcycle :), that are missing in the Pre-Delivery Check List, should be added. 

Besides these two combined lists, add other check points based on our riding experience here in USA but are not mentioned in either list.

These are - disconnect the side-stand cut off switch, change the spark plug to NGK, change the fork oil, activate headlight switch, replace battery to AGM, replace chain etc. Some of them may not be necessary but it helps to know what are the possible points to keep in mind. Something you may need to do at a later stage.

One thing that has been emphasized but I may repeat is Tighten EVERY Nut, Screw, Bolt, anything that holds two pieces together, anything that your eyes can see and even those which are hiding behind something. I mean who would think that the screws holding the turn signal lens can also loosen :D, but RE has a way of loosening anything.   

Two official lists from RE India are attached here as pdfs.

Print and give the lists to the dealer and ask him to go over each point or you may go over yourself if doing your own service.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:49:39 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 05:36:11 am
In my opinion 120 is still way over priced.
Yes it's very selfish of the motorcycle workshop to want to make a living, feed their kids and pay their bills on time. I don't know what mechanics are paid in the US but I wouldn't be taking a job that didn't pay me $30 an hour. Then they have their costs. But I'm with you, once my warranty is done, I'll do it myself. For the meantime, I'll take it to them every other service, just to keep in touch and them happy with the warranty. Only 9 months to go....
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

selac

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 08:06:27 am
Hello,

It cost me € 90 ($ 80), labor is free (or more specifically paid when purchasing the bike).
I stayed during the procedure. Not very talkative guy did not seem very familiar with RE.
If I did not report him, he would have forgotten one of the bolts when changing the oil. It does not increase a confidence that was already average and as it was an easy job, I'll do the next revision myself.

:)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:12 am
Yes it's pretty scary seeing so called "mechanics" cock up something as simple as an oil change. Dealers here seem to get into and out of again the Royal Enfield brand regularly and I guess they all use customer's bikes as learning experiences. Not cool, IMO. The crew I'm using now have been RE dealers for many years and one of their mechanics knows them well. Unfortunately RE has appointed a new Australian importer, who decided that the dealer didn't fit into their plans, striped them of their RE dealership and gave it to the local "junk" bike dealer (Daelim, CF Moto, Kymco) who probs don't know shit about RE and will pass it on soon enough.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:25:56 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 05:15:46 pm
I think that First Service should start with 60 points check list of Pre-Delivery Inspection List of Royal Enfield. It has torques for certain nuts/bolts.

The second document First Service List of Royal Enfield in India has 22 check points.

Interesting, and useful!  I'm pretty sure the dealer I bought my bike from never saw that pre-delivery inspection list.  The first service list shows items similar, in nature and number, to those on the maintenance schedule in my owners manual...

skyfli

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:34 am
I emailed the new Australian Importer a few weeks ago. Never received an answer. Looks like their not of to a good start.
Tony from Redcliffe Qld Australia.
Continental GT 2015

hknbeast

• Neophyte
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33:40 pm
I am from India.

I paid around 1200Rs. ( about 18-20 USD)

Wow its super expensive in other countries.

Otto_Ing

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 01:21:58 pm
It costs me nothing other than my time.  ;)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 01:51:18 pm
Do you get free oil and filters then? I just had to buy those and a decent spark plug for the first service. Dealer has said he would honour warranty as long as the fault doesn't arise from my poor workmanship or the use of inappropriate parts. Anyway, in the UK we have protection under the Sale of Goods Acts, which neither a warranty nor a guarantee can take precedence over.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Otto_Ing

Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 02:13:37 pm
Oil and filters cost, I have built a stock. My warranty ll run out soon anyway and than the next decent dealer lives about 300 miles away. Did you have to pay extra for these things or where they included in the "free" service?

IMO guarantee & warranties turning into one of those phony promises like othe financial products.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:18:11 pm by Otto »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:29 pm
In the San Francisco Bay Area the going labor rate seems to be about $120 USD an hour.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 05:43:20 pm
I buy a supply of filters from Hitchcocks and the oil from an independent oil supplier. The NGK spark plugs I already had as they are the same as a car I once owned. These were bought from an independent car parts supplier as a pack of four, much cheaper than from a bike dealer.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 05:00:28 am
In the San Francisco Bay Area the going labor rate seems to be about $120 USD an hour.

Holy F...! What's the hourly wage for a qualified tradesman over there?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 05:32:09 am
I am from India.

I paid around 1200Rs. ( about 18-20 USD)

Wow its super expensive in other countries.

Your first post here ! Welcome.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 09:50:27 am
Uk £80 / $117us / $165Australian / 7823 Rs.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream