Author Topic: CHAIN AND SPROCKET FAILURE  (Read 2232 times)

Jim Moon

• Jim Moon
  • Scooter
  • Hondas, Beamer, Harleys, Scoots, etc, etc...
on: June 20, 2015, 04:05:58 am
I bought a G5 UCE off a bloke with only 2500km on the clock. It had been serviced at the 500km mark. At approx. 3000km the drive chain connector let go at 80kmh (50mph). Some bits got caught in up front of the drive sprocket, the chain ended up on the road and several teeth had been randomly broken off the rear sprocket. On close examination, other chain pins had been poorly riveted (I have photos). I'm just posting this to warn newish buyers to check yr chain and connector. I am unsure if it was the original chain or if the 'stealership' had a 'go' at it at the 500km service. The back axle LHS seal was also inserted back-to-front. Not a happy bunny hmmmm... :( 
Jim Moon (2011 G5)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:32:55 pm
Thanks for the "heads up".
The quality of the Royal Enfield drive chains is, IMO, rather poor.

I've read of people in India getting some incredible mileage out of them but most of these people think riding at 40 mph (65kmph) is speeding.
Others there just take it for granted the chain will need replacing often and go with the flow.

As for the one on my 2011 G5, I needed to adjust it 3 times by the time my new bike had traveled 3000 miles.
It didn't break but it had a LOT of sideways slop so I decided to replace it with a quality chain.
Since then, my bike has accumulated 14,000 miles and the replacement chain has only needed to be adjusted twice.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:05:36 pm
Thanks for the "heads up".
The quality of the Royal Enfield drive chains is, IMO, rather poor.
Since then, my bike has accumulated 14,000 miles and the replacement chain has only needed to be adjusted twice.

What chain are you running? I'd like an O-ring chain but it looks like that can be a problem on the Enfield?
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:36:19 am
My adage is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." so I am running an old fashioned, non-O-ring chain.  It's working great.

The way I figure it, the rear chain needs to be lubricated even if it is an O-ring chain.  I don't have a 120+ horsepower engine in my bike so why do I need to spend more money buying a high dollar super duper chain designed for a crotch rocket?

If your motorcycle is running a 19 inch rear wheel and the gearbox output drive sprocket is the stock 17 tooth size, it could have a clearance problem with a O-ring chain because of the chains overall width.
(O-ring and X-ring chains are wider than the old fashioned chains).

If your motorcycle is running the smaller 18 inch rear wheel, it will have the  larger 18 tooth drive sprocket and its larger size will allow the use of a regular O-ring chain.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary