Author Topic: Is it real?  (Read 3259 times)

Damon

• Bulleteer
on: June 18, 2015, 04:17:44 am
Hey everyone.

How do you deal with this or have you heard this question? Lately I've been getting asked a lot by people when out on my bike if it is Real?? I want to respond " no it's a figment of your imagination" but instead I just say it's a 2005.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:39:24 am
I've been asked that before. They're asking if it's an original or a replica, but they don't know how to put it into words.

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:52:06 am
With the Iron barrels, it's a fair question.

Although there are a lot of little things that are different, they don't stick out as something obvious except for maybe the turn signals.

After all, Royal Enfield in India really didn't change much of the basic stuff over the years so it's still basically a 1955 motorcycle.

I get the same sort of response from people with my 2011, G5 until I point out the front disk brake, fuel injection and the electric starter motor (although the ES is laying about where the old magneto was positioned).

After mentioning the brake and FI they usually say, "Oh yeah.  Is it a new replica?"  ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:08:26 am
"Hey man, who makes that?"
That's what I'm asked. I point to the gas tank and politely say, "Royal Enfield".
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:08 am
"Hey man, who makes that?"
That's what I'm asked. I point to the gas tank and politely say, "Royal Enfield".

Yep, I've been asked that, too. And I respond exactly the same way.

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Tom2004

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:32:14 am
I tell people that the construction is from the 50's

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:43:30 pm
Yep, I've been asked that, too. And I respond exactly the same way.

I've been asked that and replied, "Royal Enfield."  "Yeah, but who makes it?  Harley?"  (Sigh)  :-\

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:38 pm
Everyone seems to recognize these motorcycles are old fashioned.

Most of the younger people are totally unfamiliar with the various brands of British motorcycles made back in the '50's thru '70's.

Most of the older people in the U.S. who do remember the old British motorcycles only seem to recall the BSA and Triumph with a few remembering the Norton.

If you really want to see these people's faces glaze over, mention the AJS, Velocette or Matchless.  ;D

Except for the big twins, Royal Enfield's were not big sellers in the U.S. and even the people who were riding Royal Enfield's back in the '50's were sitting on a motorcycle that usually carried a "Indian" logo so they didn't know what they were really riding.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:52:05 pm
I've been riding my '58 Enfield Indian twin for 3 years now and have only had about 3 or 4 people who really truly knew what my bike actually is.  For the first 2 years my bike only said Indian on it and ALLLLLL the Harley riders went ape shit over it because it was a " '58 Indian".  But I also heard a lot of "Looks like a BSA" and "looks like a Triumph".

If I have the time I'll tell them "It's a Royal Enfield built and sold as an Indian.  In the late 60's Royal Enfield sold all their tooling to India.  India still makes Royal Enfields today, and is now affiliated with Eicher Motors.  Eicher Motors is also affiliated with Polaris who owns the new Indian name.  So, Royal Enfield used to make Indians, and now they are built BY Indians.  While Indian is co-affiliated with Indian built Royal Enfields, the Indian name is not Indian by nature.  But British Royal Enfields are.  Confused yet?"  ;D 

Now I built it into a cafe racer and the tank says "Indian" and "Royal Enfield" to ease the confusion.  ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 03:20:49 pm
Royal Enfields today, and is now affiliated with Eicher Motors.  Eicher Motors is also affiliated with Polaris who owns the new Indian name.
I test rode an 2015 Indian Scout two weeks ago at a local dealer event.  In my opinion there is a whole lot more than affiliation going on between these two companies.  My first thought sitting on the 2015 Indian was these are the exact same controls that are on my Enfield.  There were many little nuances that made the bikes feel very similar.  The exception was classic thumping sound and power.  The 2015 is silent while running, the transmission makes more noise than the motor.  The performace was impressive 100 hp on a 500 lb bike.  Bottom line I would not trade my 2006 military "old sarge" for a brand new 2015 Indian Scout.

wolfpack

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 08:39:21 pm
Just about every time I take my 07 bullet for a ride around town, someone pays me compliments on it's looks. When ask about the year I always tell them it's a 55 model made in 2007. This answer has to be explained every time. Most folks know nothing about Enfields.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 02:24:46 am
Honestly, when I got my "Indian" I had no idea what I actually had for almost 3 weeks.  Now I have 3 paper manuals, 2 parts books, and 10 downloaded manuals for my Twin and every year Bullet made.  I don't even own a Bullet.... Yet.  ;)  But I like to be able to reference stuff to assist with troubleshooting problems here sometimes.  I don't know everything about cars and bikes, but I know how they work and I'm very good with troubleshooting engine management problems.  Now I'm rambling.  ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:05 pm
Hey everyone.

How do you deal with this or have you heard this question? Lately I've been getting asked a lot by people when out on my bike if it is Real?? I want to respond " no it's a figment of your imagination" but instead I just say it's a 2005.

Damon

Just smile at them, knock on the tank while replying " nope, not imaginary" wink at them and ride off.

No matter where you go, there, you are.