Author Topic: How to unscrew the hex screw of the handle bar end weight of a classic 500?  (Read 3433 times)

himalayanC5

• Neophyte
Guys, I was trying to install the bar end rear view mirror but the bar end hex screw is so damn tight that I can't un screw it. Has any don't it before or have any idea on how to do it.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
same same here. used anything i had, didn't move a milimeter
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
try the box end of a 14-15mm wrench on the end of your allen wrench and give it a sharp smack. the threads need to be shocked to loosen.be careful using this technique as the box wrench can get out of line with the handle of the allen wrench and could cause foul linguistics to spontaneously erupt.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I got mine off by putting Visegrips on L shaped end of the Allen wrench and unscrewing them. I chewed them up a little, but have no plans to put them back, as the bike jut barely fits through the living room door with them off.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
I think i used a punch to move it a bit

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
A quality Hex Bit Socket and breaker bar to loosen, standard Allen key to tighten :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
A quality Hex Bit Socket and breaker bar to loosen, standard Allen key to tighten :)

With thread locking compound liberally applied.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

B5 Ben

• Scooter
 Be Careful removing those bolts, the metal is a little weak and one of mine stripped when I was trying to take it out to install bar ends.

It was a nightmare, I finally had to get someone to tap the bolt to get it out.

I replaced the bolts with some better quality ones and its all good now.

2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
I sprayed mine with Kano Kroil and let it sit overnight.  The next morning it came off with next to no drama.  I did use a hammer to provide the impact wrench effect and shock the bolt loose.   The penetrating solvent/oil made a big difference.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
A few taps and some penetrating oil are good ideas.  Heat would be good too, they are held in with red LocTite or something similar.  This usually gives up with some heat, though it's tough to get it to that bolt and not damage anything around it.