Author Topic: Flat Tire  (Read 4137 times)

HUdson51

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:16 am
Had a flat tire on the way to the Enfield dealer, just a few blocks away so I was able to ride there so very slowly. What is the best thing to carry to deal with a flat tire on the road? I have seen little c02 cylinders, is that most people use? Thanks for any advice on this topic.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:52:11 am
A roadside recovery option on your insurance plan and a cell phone.  Roadside flats are a pain and should only be done on long adventures.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:44:20 pm by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:15:19 am
Those little CO2 cartridges and the tire plugs that go with them only work on tubeless tires.

Motorcycles like the Royal Enfield that have spoked wheels must use inner tubes in their tires and there's no way to just "plug them".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:12 am
Fortunately the Enfield has a centerstand. You will need all the tools necessary for removing the wheels from the bike, the tires from the wheels (including tire mounting lubricant) spare tubes, and a way of inflating the tubes. I used to use a hand pump, but have switched over to a small 12V electric compressor. You can also carry a tube repair kit, but it has been my experience that punctured tubes usually pop like a balloon, making them impossible to patch.

I live in AZ, and it seems that about half the state lacks cell phone coverage, so you need to be prepared to take care of things like flat tires yourself. I have also spent many decades riding dirt/dual sport bikes way back out into the AZ desert, where road service is not an option.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:05 am
I tore a valve on the rear tyre on Sunday when the tyre slipped on the rim, but recovery was my only option because I've found the OEM spanner not long enough to enable a correctly torqued rear wheel axle nut to be loosened to remove the wheel in the first instance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:05:51 am by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:21:43 pm
+1 on cell phone and recovery plan. 

I tried pulling my tube in my own garage with the tire irons supplied in the kit...no way...you would be out of luck on the side of the road.  Hell, I had full size tire irons and a bucket and bench to work with and it kicked my ass.  The lower profile factory tires on my C5 were almost impossible to get off without damage to the tire and rim.  I ended up taking them into a professional motorcycle shop. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:58 pm
I have had several VALVE CORE failures over the past few years. I don't know if adding air occasionally wears the Core out, or if Cores are being made skimpier these days. I carry a couple of Cores now & have at least one Core removing Valve Cap. I also have a repro Brit emergency Pump on board.
  At 68 I have decided to let shops change & balance my tires. there is a shop here that will do a carried in wheel for $20. & it is well worth it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 04:58:57 pm
I would never try to use the tools that come with the bike. I quickly put together a set of high quality tools, and made sure I had the right tools for any job I could do out on the road. If you have any doubt about a tool, make sure it works before finding out that it doesn't the hard way. I already had a road service plan for bikes. I can't find where it says it has a limited number of calls, but it is limited to bikes 20 years old and newer. 135 miles of free towing included. IF your cell phone works.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:20:53 am
Fixing tires on the side of the road is at best a Royal PITA! I've done my share and then some. I do my best now to avoid them by making sure my tires are in good shape, have the proper air pressure and changing rim strips and tube every other tire change. I make sure I am using good high quality tubes. I helps to clean the inside of the rim when the tires are off and to look for burrs and nicks in the rim or any spokes that are long and poking up though the rim strip.

I already tossed the Enfield tire irons in the junk box and loaded 2 good Motion Pro irons and a strap to get the bead from popping back up and me chasing it around the tire!

BUT as Craig McClure said I have a shop that does most of my tire work here and he also charges $20.00 a wheel if you take it to him off the bike. PLUS he always some cool old iron to look at while he does the dirty work for me.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 08:13:09 pm
I keep everything well maintained too, but 99% of all flats are caused by the tire being punctured by a foreign object, and there is not much you can do to prevent that. While repairing a flat beside the road is certainly no fun, I am always prepared to do so, out of necessity. Tubeless tires make it about 10 times easier. I still find it hard to believe that modern street bikes have tube type tires, especially more than 30 years after tubeless type wire spoke wheels were developed (1986 Honda 450 Rebel)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 09:48:20 pm
for that get 'you to safety repair', I carry a spray can of tyre foam, it connects to the valve press the button and it fills the innertube with a sealing foam. Although it want be able to cope with a large hole or ripped valve it will seal a puncture caused by a nail or similar, at least until you get to a shop or somewhere that has the right tools to change the inner tube.
I know the foam works having used it more than once.....
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:44 pm
I keep everything well maintained too, but 99% of all flats are caused by the tire being punctured by a foreign object, and there is not much you can do to prevent that.

I was thinking of some of the VERY worn tires I've seen. Some were so bad you could almost tell the air in them was stale by looking. :o Thin carcasses are more like to be punctured than a newer tire is what I was getting at.   

I would expect that the folks on a board like this riding a bike like the Enfield to be wise enough to NOT pull a stunt like that though.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:11 am
I keep everything well maintained too, but 99% of all flats are caused by the tire being punctured by a foreign object.........

I have to disagree, in regards to tubed tires like the Enfield has.  I would say only 50% of flats are punctures for tube tires, the other 50% is a combination of the tire spinning on the rim, valve tears, and pinch flats, almost always the result of low tire pressure.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 05:39:48 pm
One thing I neglected to mention.  Best Flat Tire measure in my toolbox. My insurance only gets about $5. extra for road service. If I get a flat I' can have them bring me home where I can deal with it in the shade. I'm to old to travel on a bike.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:56 pm
for that get 'you to safety repair', I carry a spray can of tyre foam, it connects to the valve press the button and it fills the innertube with a sealing foam. Although it want be able to cope with a large hole or ripped valve it will seal a puncture caused by a nail or similar, at least until you get to a shop or somewhere that has the right tools to change the inner tube.
I know the foam works having used it more than once.....

Hey, Johno. No offence, but could you pleeez do me a big favor & add the 2nd 'o' to the words 'to' in your signature? It's a very clever phrase (I love it) & would mean so much more with two 'o's instead of just one   :)   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.