Author Topic: ?Chain Size/Links?  (Read 13114 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 04:09:23 am
So, today I pulled off the original chain from my GT. I wanted to split the chain to replace a link that had an o ring missing. So, pulled out the split link and was disappointed to see the link had evidently been assembled dry. No grease whatsoever was inside either pin. The pins are a little worn and rusty, very dry indeed. So I guess it shows that chain lube doesn't get in there and that it only lubricates the outside of the chain. Anyway, equally disappointing was that one of the pins just dropped out of the chain plate after it had been removed. Like it wasn't riveted properly, I guess. I guess it can't go anywhere with the clip on but is still not very confidence inspiring. The other link came out no worries, was nicely lubricated and in good condition, as is the rest of the chain. Problem is, aftermarket chain links don't fit. At least not the DID and Regina links I tried. The pins are too large to fit inside the enfield chain. Am still waiting to hear back from the dealers parts man to see if a genuine link is available but the gist of the conversation was that it might be easier to buy a new chain. Duh of course it is, for them. That would be a shame because the rest of the chain feels good. Has 10,000km now and hasn't needed adjusting since the first time.
But I guess, if I do, at least I can be confident of having a good quality chain on board. I'm replacing the wheel bearings, too. The originals are ok but I'd feel safer rolling around on Japanese bearings than Indian ones. 6203LU.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:47 pm
If I can suggest.

Pull a page from the book of bicycle maintenance If possible. Lube won't get inside the pins and rollers unless you apply it to the pins and rollers.

I have in the past used a syringe thingie to get the lube inside where it needs to be. Unfortunately, I don't think that would be as feasible on a Moto chain with its larger components and you can toss that idea if it's some sort of O ring.

At that, most Moto chain lubes I've seen are aerosols.

If only this were made in a larger pen...

"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:21:45 pm
 Unless Renolds chains has gone downhill you can add them to D.I.D., EK, RK and Diamond (USA made) list.

Trivia bits; RK is the current name of the Takasago chains famous in the 70's and 80's

530 is also the chain size used on H-D Sportsters until belt drive was implemented as standard on them.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:44 pm
Maybe do the 525 conversion, and run a higher quality chain.  Less roll resistance, more power to the wheel.  So goes the thought.... ;)

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 12:04:46 am
I just bought a RK GB530XSOZ1-100 Gold X-Ring Chain for my GT. I also bought the RK UCT 4060 Universal Chain Breaker, Cutter, Press-Fit and Rivet Tool Kit. The tool is really slick and well made. It will definitely outlast me.

I used a rivet link to link the ends. The old chain was a o ring with a clip link. After 5,500 miles it was still in fairly good shape, but a few of the links were hanging a bit when I took it off. It was due for a good cleaning and oiling too though. I just set it aside so I can use it in a pinch if needed.

The RK chain is a little wider than the stock one due to the link plates being slightly thicker.

Steve 
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:02 am
Maybe do the 525 conversion, and run a higher quality chain.  Less roll resistance, more power to the wheel.  So goes the thought.... ;)
That's actually a really good idea. But while the sprockets are in good shape I may as well use them up. I'll give the RE dealer til end of business today to get back with link availability, if he lets me down I'll order a couple links from the indian ebayers and see how it goes. It's only a $10 gamble, then if it doesn't pan out I'll go down the shop and buy a $150 O ring DID chain. I'd rather keep using the original chain for now, It's still in good shape other than that o ring that broke and the broken and unlubed split link. Kind of happy I found that. I'd rather spend the 150 on a new tyre.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:55 am
Before anyone runs out and buys a 525 chain to replace the 530 that comes on Royal Enfields, realize that both the drive and driven sprockets would need to be machined from their current (roughly) .343" (8.71mm ) width down to .284" (7.21mm ) width in the area where the chain is running.

While there should be little effect on the durability of the hardened steel transmission output sprocket, there would be a 21 percent loss of strength on the cast rear wheel sprocket.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 12:57:03 am
There is a chain and sprocket set for the GT in 520 size so it's all good. The CGT has a proper steel sprocket bolted to a carrier, not the classic style brake drum/sprocket combo. Machining the originals down, didn't think of that. Good idea.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 01:40:02 am
That's actually a really good idea. But while the sprockets are in good shape I may as well use them up. I'll give the RE dealer til end of business today to get back with link availability, if he lets me down I'll order a couple links from the indian ebayers and see how it goes. It's only a $10 gamble, then if it doesn't pan out I'll go down the shop and buy a $150 O ring DID chain. I'd rather keep using the original chain for now, It's still in good shape other than that o ring that broke and the broken and unlubed split link. Kind of happy I found that. I'd rather spend the 150 on a new tyre.

Oops, I ment the 520 kit, or at least the sprockets and a good xring chain. 
When I was working the parts counter at a dealer, we would always suggest changing out sprockets with chain.  Our reason was that the sprockets wear with the stretching of the chain to a certain pattern.  Putting a new chain on the old sprocket set will cause the new chain to wear out quicker.  So take that in mind if the ebay thing doesn't work.  Just my opinion.  Good luck with the ebay thing.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 10:51:09 am
So, a change of plan. The local Enfield dealer didn't reply by the end of business today so I'm done waiting for him. I emailed the Indian ebay Enfield shop to confirm that the genuine Enfield OEM o ring links they have would fit the GT chain. Yes sir it fits. After I slept on that, I realised that other people's genuine Enfield chains sometimes only last a few thousand miles. I concluded that the genuine spec Enfield gear being nothing to brag about, it's not worth the hassle, nor the risk to the quite expensive for what they are sprockets. Or to my hide if the chain failed on the road. So, I've chosen option 3 and ordered a D.I.D x ring chain. And I've always fancied owning a chain riveter, so one of those too. Can never have too many tools.
Slight change of topic: Since the bike is off the road for a few days I changed the fork oil, just for laffs. Oil volume was spot on per spec, very stinky it was though. Replaced it with fresh stuff and back together. too easy. I noticed each fork leg had different washer stacks under the top cap. I guess they only used what was hanging around. And the caps themselves were only on hand tight. Like, the first one seemed loose so I tried the second just gripping the socket and 6" extension, no tommy bar. I undid it by bare hand strength. LOL. Good one.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 12:06:06 pm
Hey Gizzo, what fork oil did you use?
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:58 pm
ATF Dexron 3. It's my go to for fork oil. Works great in my bikes.

Oh yeah...while I had the forks out I found a manufacturers mark. They're by Gabriel. I never knew Gabriel made bike forks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:58:56 pm by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 09:18:41 pm
Thanks Gizzo,
I didn't know about Gabriel making forks, however the owners manual does say the oil is Gabriel 5w 30 fork oil?
I did the old 2 dollar mod and added 2 fifty cent pieces to the top of each fork leg to increase spring preload as I found the front end felt to soft, worked a treat, was thinking when I change my fork oil to add slightly more to reduce dive under brakes.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 01:41:32 am
Increasing preload will not make the fork stiffer. It will adjust ride height. The only way to make it "stiffer" is by increasing spring rate or increasing damping.

I don't recommend upping spring rate, unless you simply out weigh the effective weight of the spring.

Damping fluid, however, can affect how fast or slow the fork compresses and rebounds. By changing the weight, you can speed or slow. You don't want the fork to pogo, or pack up and finding the compromise can take some work (considering we have no real idea what's in it from the factory).

You can also change how progressive the fork is by adding or subtracting a few CCs of fork oil from the volume. More oil-more progressive. Less oil-you get the idea.

Gizzo, ATF was the go to for a long time, a long time ago. But like everything else, the standards and formulation has changed. ATF now isn't what ATF was then.

Try some oil formulated for suspension.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:45 pm
Increasing preload will not make the fork stiffer. It will adjust ride height. The only way to make it "stiffer" is by increasing spring rate or increasing damping.
Sorry you are correct, Adjusting the ride height has made mine feel better.
Thanks Gizzo,
I didn't know about Gabriel making forks, however the owners manual does say the oil is Gabriel 5w 30 fork oil
Correction, book say's Gabriel fork oil 2W 35

So given this specification and the fact I can't buy this oil what fork oil do you use? Bearing in mind any brand of fork oil you buy with a weight number on the bottle is different to one another when you check the Centistoke readings at the hot and cold readings.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2