Author Topic: Is this going to be OK to ride with?  (Read 3229 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: June 14, 2015, 04:39:39 pm
I was checking over the bike and the exhaust pipe ?Collar? the thing with fins where the pipe meets the head is cracked. It looks to be alu and the flange steel so I think they are pressed together. I can't hear or feel a leak and the soap test didn't show any bubbles for the short time I tried it.

Is this thing decorative? And as the head studs nuts are tight do you think it will be OK to ride or should I park it and call my dealer tomorrow?   
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:04:32 am
The finned aluminum doohickey is mainly decorative but it does help to keep the exhaust pipe cool.

If the exhaust pipe  connection is not leaking, there should be no problem.

If you want to get the finned part replaced, your dealer should be able to order a new one and install it but to do it he will have to remove the exhaust.

Sealing the exhaust connection seems to be a hit or miss situation so it's possible he might not be able to do the job without having a problem.
That makes the call pretty much up to you.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:39 am
I found this while getting ready to install the performance exhuast I ordered when I ordered the bike. So if push comes to shove I'll have them replace the finned thing and install the pipe. I'll call them tomorrow.

I didn't think it could be that bad as none of my other bikes have they thing BUT I just don't want to take any chances and damage the motor for a few minutes of riding now when I should wait is why I ask.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:53:27 am
The collar is just a heat sink.
I removed mine when I replaced the header pipe to a Hitchcock's number.
No issues without it, and certainly no damage.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:20:06 pm
The finned aluminum doohickey is mainly decorative but it does help to keep the exhaust pipe cool.

If the exhaust pipe  connection is not leaking, there should be no problem.

+1
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:22 pm
I called the shop and he said Start the bike and hold something over the exhaust to see if there's a leak. Now why didn't I think of that. If there's a leak don't ride it if not have at it.

Guess I need to order a Potato from Ngear now...I knew there was a reason they were selling them.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:32:42 am
Brand new bike, I would want it fixed. I have had had problems with the studs coming loose in the cylinder head. I have reinstalled the header pipe several times, using only one new gasket, and never had it leak. To me overall poor quality is one thing, actual broken parts are something else again. If you are going with an aftermarket pipe, replacing the broken part could easily be done at the same time.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:21 am
It will be replaced I wanted to see if it was really leaking, it is by the plug the tail pipe test I can feel the exhaust gases blowing out at the head. I wanted to be sure as it'd 75 miles one way to the shop and riding it's not an option with the leak.

With the weather we are having right now not riding isn't a problem as the I don't think the little bike would float too well anyway.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:10 pm
yours will be a very easy fix and you will be on your merry way. It was a 400 mile return trip to the dealer when I went for my first ride on the new 2015 C5 - only did about 15 miles and suddenly the steering felt heavy.
I knew I had a problem and by the time I got it home on the very last right turn I had the indicator on and I could not get it to turn and ran past the intersection.
once home and with the help from GHG I decided to do the work myself and backed off the steering head nut and took the pressure off the steering bearing and so it's been good ::) ::) ::)
these are bikes you just have to say - they are assembled rough with a character to match... :(  now do I blame the Indian dealership....No!
my blame is put squarely on the dealers who sell the bikes and takes your cash or mine anyway but fail to deliver the goods. here in oz we are charge $200 for the set up fee and EVERY bike I have purchased had faults as soon as I place my As- on it.
now for those who came in late -the phantom- I've had 6 of them :D
but they are nice bikes and fun to ride and really great to look at. you'll be right ;D