Author Topic: carb jetting/plug chop  (Read 14119 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 01:35:11 am
thanks for all the input.  i put the electronic unit on i think a month and a half ago. it was running fine. not overheating at all. but i did try to advance it a little and it idled like crap. gave it a little gas and killed it. tried to start it and it backfired. so it put it back to center where i had it. idles good.
 since my last post, i thought it had an exhaust leak. possible developed during all this. i took the exh. off, cleaned it, reinstalled. i cannot detect any leak now. i even bought a pack of smokes to blow around the joint, and hold underneath and let smoke roll around. i also take a small piece of tissue paper, tape it to the end of a carpenters pencil and hold the tissue around the joint. no leaks.
 so i started back at the the original settings yesterday. P-6, 30pilot, 3.0 slide, needle clip center. still ran hot at 1/4 and 1/2. idle looked good. i worked my way up to needle clip down all the way and 2.0 slide. still runs hot and plug look clean at 1/2.i didn't get a good plug reading at 1/4 because i ended up stopped and idled a while, but after the 1/4 run it was hot. tomorrow I'm gong to try one of those new needles i got and see what happens.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:21 pm
here is an update.
 i gave this a break due to heat wave and other projects around the house.
i tried the other needles, didn't work. bogged down as soon as i gave a little twist.
 back to P-8, 2.5 slide to richen lower range, needle clip center.
 1/4 range plug looked good. 1/2 range plug is clean, engine hot.
moved clip down 1. plug still clean, engine hot.
 i got another baffle. same can opener style, 8' long, was 4'.
 1/4 range stuttered a little. 1/2 range, still hot.
 changed to 3.0 slide to help lower range.  moved clip down again, now lowest.
stuttered a little in 1/4, didn't get a good reading. too much idle time. ran a 1/4 run, engine a little hot. exhaust ticted a little, but started back up OK. ran home in 1/2, plug is clean.    exhaust ticted a little more. took a few kicks to start back up.  FYI i quit using brand new plugs after the first 5. i am now brushing them of with a wire brush, till i get it close.
 so, basically, i am at the end what i can do with P-8. it still runs hot in 1/2. i haven't tried to test 3/4 or full cause theres no point if i cant get 1/4 and 1/2 to work.
 there is one other needle i can try. other than that, i am out of ideas again. 
 Have a nice day.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 01:23:33 am
I'd go back to the settings at the beginning of this post and then take the bike to someone what has an exhaust gas analyzer and get more accurate readings. By the way, what main jet are you running again? With that jetting how does it idle, how does it pull off idle, and how does it cruise? Surging, hesitation, flat spots, etc? That's of more concern vs. what the plug looks like. Do you still have hair?? 
here is an update.
 i gave this a break due to heat wave and other projects around the house.
i tried the other needles, didn't work. bogged down as soon as i gave a little twist.
 back to P-8, 2.5 slide to richen lower range, needle clip center.
 1/4 range plug looked good. 1/2 range plug is clean, engine hot.
moved clip down 1. plug still clean, engine hot.
 i got another baffle. same can opener style, 8' long, was 4'.
 1/4 range stuttered a little. 1/2 range, still hot.
 changed to 3.0 slide to help lower range.  moved clip down again, now lowest.
stuttered a little in 1/4, didn't get a good reading. too much idle time. ran a 1/4 run, engine a little hot. exhaust ticted a little, but started back up OK. ran home in 1/2, plug is clean.    exhaust ticted a little more. took a few kicks to start back up.  FYI i quit using brand new plugs after the first 5. i am now brushing them of with a wire brush, till i get it close.
 so, basically, i am at the end what i can do with P-8. it still runs hot in 1/2. i haven't tried to test 3/4 or full cause theres no point if i cant get 1/4 and 1/2 to work.
 there is one other needle i can try. other than that, i am out of ideas again.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:31 am
 i have had to adjust the idle settings for different jets. it idles good.
i have a 185 main. i think the recommendation was 180 to 185. 185 was smallest one that came with the carb. after i posted that last one i had a thought about the main jet. but all the charts say it doesn't come into play till 3/4. but now that i think about it, it had a 195 in it. and i cant remmember at what point i changed it. it was before i started this post. it did get hot then, just not as quick. i road for a while before i stopped at a light and it stalled. ??? ill try anything now. it came with 185,190,195 in it, and a 210.
 Have a nice day.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 04:05:37 am
Gus, I hardly consider myself an expert but sometime earlier in this thread someone mentioned the ignition ... To me, all the different jet configurations you already have tried just do not explain the engine behavior.

Just a thought ... I wish I could say more.
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:27 am
I'd go back to the settings at the beginning of this post and then take the bike to someone what has an exhaust gas analyzer and get more accurate readings. By the way, what main jet are you running again? With that jetting how does it idle, how does it pull off idle, and how does it cruise? Surging, hesitation, flat spots, etc? That's of more concern vs. what the plug looks like. Do you still have hair?? 
cafeman!
i do still have hair. and now, its just a matter of fine tuning. It was the main jet!
 i put the 210 in and it stopped overheating. No more tic tic from the exhaust.  i can run 1/4 range and 1/2, for a good 5 miles, stop at the light and it doesnt die. get home, shut it down and it starts right back up! it runs pretty darn smooth all the way up to 3/4. it stutter one time when i was winding out 3rd. i looked down and i was just over 3/4 throttle.
 i aslo looked in Petes book, page 35. he says, if you never run full throttle you don't have to worry about the main jet. but a main jet thats is too small can restrict the flow to the needle jet. so now i odered a 205 and a 200 main. i will try the 205 first.  when i get the high end dialed in i can fine tune the rest. but i dont want to lean out the needle jet again.  when i put the 210 in, i went back to P6, 3.0 clip in the middle. my first good 1/4 run the plug was nice and brown in the inside of the ring.  :D
 so, for what ever reason, the combination of humidity, heat and my exhaust and intake,... my bullet needs a bigger main jet.  thanks guys!
 ( what happend to spell check?) ???

Have a nice day.