Author Topic: PJ1 Black Label Chain Lube Question  (Read 7553 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: June 13, 2015, 03:21:00 pm
I got some for my new non-oring chain - read here that the black label one is good for those.

I haven't tried it on my moto yet, but since I don't have any bicycle-specific chain lube, I thought I'd give it a shot on my wife's bicycle chain.

I followed the directions... it goes on foamy, but quickly settles into a drippy liquid (immediately wiped off excess as instructed) - then it seems to dry into a stringy, gummy mess!  It stretches in long hair-thin filaments between contact parts that are separating... i.e. every link leaving every sprocket tooth... which fly off and stick to whatever it touches.

What's the deal with this stuff?  The instructions say nothing about drying time... will it dry eventually?  Anybody run into this?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 03:25:29 pm
For "tacky" style chain lubes, I usually let it dry about 8 hours before I ride so it doesn't sling off.  Once it sets up it shouldn't string anymore.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 03:38:22 pm
Thanks Scottie!  I'll wait it out and see what happens, I guess...

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:26 pm
I hate that stuff. It's like a never ending source of stringy snot that gets everywhere.  :o Can't say that I have a good alternative though. I seem to prefer whatever lube is on sale. And they all sling snot of some type.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:04 pm
6 hours later, and it's no better than before.  I have my doubts that it'll be any better tomorrow.  But we'll see.  Fortunately, I've got some chain cleaner to de-gunk it if I have to.  Better to learn this now, before it gets any use, rather than after it's pissed all over my bike...

Why do so many people like this stuff if it's so sticky?  I'd think you'd want just the opposite to keep the chain clean.  Oh well - no matter what brand or style of lube I google, I find some people swear by it, and others who only swear at it...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:59:25 pm
Typically tacky chain lubes are used on dirt bikes.  It's function is to lubricate the chain and trap dirt on the surface of the links before it enters the joints and eats the chain.  But dirt bikes are a different beast and require lots of maintenance, like cleaning and oiling the chain and filter every 2-3 rides.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:15 pm
I went through a can of PJ1 Black Label once.  It made a real mess all over my wheel and the rear of the bike.  I never used it again.  I also tried the Blue Label stuff and while it didn't fling as much, it really coated the chain and made the chain hard to keep clean.  After trying a lot of chain lubes, I like Champion Chain Lube (cheap at auto accessory stores) for non-O ring chains and Bel Ray Super Clean for O-ring chains.  I used the Bel Ray stuff on my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and its chain lasted 35,000 miles before it started to stretch. Neither lube flings very much.  Also most "chain wax" lube seem to work well and fling very little.  But they do build up on the links and have to be cleaned off every 1K miles, or so.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 11:55:02 pm
I used PJ-1 Black Label for a number of years and yes, it seems to stay stringy and it does get thrown off of the chain.

I have no doubts it does an excellent job of lubing the pins, rollers and side plates but the crap on my engine and rear wheel isn't something I like.

For that reason, I've switched to PJ-1 Blue Lable.

The can says it is designed for O-ring chains because it won't damage them but it also works fine with the old standard non-O-ring chains.

The Blue Label lube also goes on watery thin and it then dries to a really thick, clear, paste like substance.

It does not form the strings that the Black Label stuff does and it doesn't seem to get thrown off of the chain all over my engine and rear wheel.

After many thousands of miles using the Blue Label stuff, I'm a happy camper. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:00:12 am
Thanks guys!

I know that chain lube threads are really oil threads in disguise - suffice it to say you've answered my question!  If it's still wet and stringy tomorrow, I'll rinse it off and try something else - and I definitely won't use it on my motorcycle chain!

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:03:27 am
I have used all kinds of chain lube over the past 50 years.  My favorite has been chain saw bar oil.  It is kind of sticky, and it does not stink like gear lube.  And it is inexpensive compared to the aerosal types.  Oiling the chain after a ride is a pleasant ritual that I do not mind at all.  Even my bikes with o ring chains get a lube every couple hundred miles.  I just wish all my bikes had belt drive!

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 12:07:57 am
I have been using Maxima Chain Wax on my bikes for years and find it does a good job for me. I lube the chain after a ride so the chain is warm from use and spray in between the side plates to get the "O" rings. I then clean up any over spray, a piece of cardboard shoved between the chain and tire will help a lot, as once it sets up it take more work to get it off. I let the bike sit over night and find the wax stays mainly on the chain with very little sling off. And what little there is can be easily cleaned up.

Remember on a "O" ring chain you can really get any lube into the chain, what you want id the flush the "O" rings clean and lube them so that they can keep the factory lube IN and the DIRT out.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 01:02:07 am
Coot, I did just what you do with Maxima wax, and it always made a mess with fling-off.

Since the Black Label was a bust, I went looking locally for lube, and couldn't find anything except for Lucasoil chain lube in a can, so I bought some.  Since it's so easy to find both love and hate for any chain lube choice, I'm thinking it no longer matters, as long as you keep something on there.  The Lucas sprays out in a forceful jet which is hard to control and makes a mess, but we'll see how it behaves...

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 01:10:52 am
I think most guys over lube the chain. You want to get a even coat BUT you don't want so much it attracts dirt. I generally will lube my chains every 300-400 mile. I get the bike on the lift and spin the tire and let the chain travel the "Loop" twice spraying one plate set on the first loop and the plate set on the other side of the rollers on the second loop.

No matter what kind of lube or who makes it you will get some sling off. I found this works for me other have no doubt found other stuff that works for them. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:27:07 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 01:25:36 am
My favorite chain lube is easily obtained at Lowe's. DuPont Teflon Chain and multi-use lube in the blue can, safe for O-ring chains. Little sling and doesn't seem to attract dirt. I've tried others, but for me this is the best solution.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 01:33:52 am
For that reason, I've switched to PJ-1 Blue Lable.

The Blue Label lube also goes on watery thin and it then dries to a really thick, clear, paste like substance.

It does not form the strings that the Black Label stuff does and it doesn't seem to get thrown off of the chain all over my engine and rear wheel.

After many thousands of miles using the Blue Label stuff, I'm a happy camper. :)

Agree. I've used it since I lived in Carolina ('70-'82). I think my next door neighbor there used it. He had a miraculously gorgeous, perfect '49 BMW that he obsessed over and kept in his living room. I think he changed the oil every time he rode it. It gets like beeswax sort of.     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:21:24 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.