Author Topic: Stupid question time  (Read 3064 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:23 pm
I assume this is a pressure relief hole or something like that? And when ATF is bubbling out of it, that means I've over-filled it?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:25:25 pm
Yes, and yes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Possm_23

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:03 pm
Where is it located?
Take your time leaving but hurry back

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:00:22 am
Where is it located?
It's on the outer primary chaincase.

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:07:56 am
Ace,

I don't know that I agree. I have removed all the electric start components and so now I am only putting in the amount for a kick start. mine always shows atf leaking through that hole. I can't believe that it only happens if it is overfilled.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:40:26 am
I really didn't think it was over-filled. It didn't bubble out last time I rode it. Will this happen just from getting hot?

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:45:53 am
The only way fluid can get that high is if it is overfilled.  I can tell from learning the hard way if smoke comes out of this hole your rotor and stator do not have the proper clearance all the around!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 01:03:20 am
Ace,

I don't know that I agree. I have removed all the electric start components and so now I am only putting in the amount for a kick start. mine always shows atf leaking through that hole. I can't believe that it only happens if it is overfilled.

Damon
Don't know why. It should be fine.
All the chain needs is to have the lower run of the links skimming on the top of the liquid.The clutch and alternator will be cooled by the splash.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:14:20 am
There was no smoke, just some fluid bubbling out and running down the side. And it didn't happen until I had been riding for a while.

Possm_23

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 03:20:17 am
If i remember right that is the fill hole....there is another plug toward the bottom of the case. When full the fluid will start to run out of that hole. If you filled it to the big screw hole that is way over filled
Take your time leaving but hurry back

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 01:08:22 am
I only filled it to the bottom links of the chain.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 02:07:19 am
Well, it was overfilled. I pulled the bottom plug and about 4 cups of fluid ran out. So I pulled the cover to get it all out and put in fresh fluid, just to the bottom hole. The dealer must have added some fluid, because I didn't put that much in it and that was the first time it came bubbling out of the hole.

I had it at the dealer last week to have an ignition problem fixed. Well, they took care of the oil for me, too. They told me the oil was so low that the dipstick was dry, which I thought was strange because there was oil in it last time I checked. But anyway they said they did an oil change for me. After having it back home for a few days I took it for a ride and afterwards there was oil all over the rear fender under the seat, and everything else, on the centerstand, the rear wheel, running down the swingarm and dripping off the end. I checked the level and it was way over the top. I drained at least two cups to get it down to the top mark on the dipstick. So that's what happens when the oil is overfilled?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 02:40:37 am
As you found, it gets blown all over everything.

If a crankcase vent hose is running into the air filter box, oil can be blown on the air filter.  If it is one of the pleated paper kinds and it is oil soaked it will plug up and cause the engine to run rich.

If there is oil on your air filter you can try removing and then blasting it with disk brake cleaner.  That will remove most of the oil but it's best to just go ahead and replace an oily filter.

From what I've read on the old Iron Barrels, they sometimes will blow oil out even if the oil level is at the "half way full" level.
I'm sure other folks who actually own an Iron barrel will tell us what the "best" level is.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 02:53:04 am
The vent hose doesn't go into the air cleaner (I have one of Ace's coffee can air cleaners), it's just routed to dump on the ground where the centerstand is, but it must have splattered on it or the frame or something and got all over everything. Now I have a nice mess to clean up.