Author Topic: New Ride  (Read 1524 times)

corvus13

• Scooter
on: June 08, 2015, 11:48:36 pm
Hey guys,
Just thought I would say hello.  Just picked up an '06 RE Bullet 500 military edition.  I come from a long line of British cars (Triumph and Lotus to name a few) but this is my first British bike.  Just a little over 6000 miles when I picked her up.  I look forward to getting to know you guys and getting some great advice.

Cheers
Corvus

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:26:29 am
Welcome!

I cut my teeth in mechanics and racing in the early 1970s on many British sports cars, including Lotus and Triumph.

There are some similarities in engineering with the Bullet and the Lucas electrical system, but the air cooled design has some very unique specifics which require some special knowledge to keep the engine at its best.

Also, the alloy metals are often quite cheesy, and it's best to use a gentle hand in tightening fasteners, lest you strip out the threads in the castings.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

corvus13

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:09 am
Thanks for the tip on the fasteners.  That's the kind of info I'm looking for.  I've already learned some things about kickstarting her.  I have the electric starter, but just feels wrong using that on a bike like this.

Corvus

Possm_23

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:32:12 pm
I had the electric start on mine also but the motor kicked back one too many times and destroyed the sprag clutch . I ordered a new one but never installed it. Check out sprag clutch post on this site , it might help you. I
Like the kick start anyway. Welcome to the RE family.
Take your time leaving but hurry back

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:21:24 pm
Welcome to the forum.  I have the exact model and year at the house, and by late summer should finish my restomod.  I've gotten to know "old sarge" pretty well and it's nice to exchange info with someone that has the same year model.

corvus13

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 01:20:25 am
Sweet!.  Right now I'm dealing with a front brake that won't quite disengage.  Just enough to make a light squeal on takeoff.  Also, is a slight metallic engine noise normal when running?  Not sure if what I'm hearing is normal or a little off.  Checked the oil and other such and all seems normal.  Guess I'm just used to a little more modern engine.  But I love that thump!

Corvus

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:56 am
It's hard to say if the engine noise is normal or not.
All of the Royal Enfield engines make more noise than modern water cooled motorcycle engines do.

All of the Iron barrel engines have adjustable valves that occasionally need to be adjusted and even when they are set up right, they still make a little noise.

The cam drive gears are "straight cut spur gears" and with a little wear on the teeth the slop between them can cause some noise too.

The Iron barrels also run a bit more piston/bore clearance that will make some noise, especially if the engine is not fully warmed up.

Not to be too romantic about it but, these are all the sounds of the past that were just accepted as normal "back in the day".

Of course, if the engine is making loud pounding or clattering sounds, it may be something that needs looking into.

These old Iron barrel engines used a aluminum connecting rod with a free spinning "floating" bearing on the crankshaft throw.
If they are pushed to hard (read "fast") the iron cylinder can't get rid of the extra heat so piston galling could result in wear and damage.

Although it is a 500cc engine with enough power to go faster, these Iron barrel motorcycles are happiest with a top speed of maybe 55 mph.
If it's hot out (like it is here right now), a top speed of 50 mph would keep them even happier.

Ride it easy and you shouldn't have any problem.

Oh.  Use the forum's search engine and look for "adjusting brakes" in the iron barrel section.  There are a lot of good posts that discuss it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:54:43 am
I just finished overhauling my front brakes.  Both of the cams that operate the shoes were very stiff in the brake plate.  After removing them and cleaning them up and applying a very this coat of high temp grease the cams move very freely.  A good clean up, proper lube, and adjustment should do the trick.  Don't forget to lube the cable if it does not have the improved cable with liner.

corvus13

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 01:09:44 am
Thanks guys.  Got the front brakes cleaned/adjusted and much smoother and firmer operation.  Put about 200 miles on her so far and loving every minute of it.  Not sure if I could ever go back to a sport bike after this.

Corvus