Author Topic: Boric Acid in engine oil.  (Read 26724 times)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 02:05:21 pm
Actually love to do some out of box experiments, with the calculated risk on my bike, Already played a lot with Airfilter (I had my own), exhaust, bi-starter (removed) and PAV system.
 So negative response was a kind of encouragement ;) for me. Don't take me wrong here.
Do i need to mention here that I will not be responsible for any losses to anybody who follow the above experiment.

Regards
Mandar
Hey, knock yourself out. :)
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 04:19:49 pm
As everybody is giving negative response about this experiment, can somebody put the reasoning about not to do so. Lets discuss it with the actual points. I guess every experiment starts with some mad thinking (though I am not the first one doing this).

Regards
Mandar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:42 pm
I think a good place to start is to make a benefits vs risks analysis.

What are the proven benefits?
How many engines have been reported damaged?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 05:38:56 pm
Has it really come to this?
You have ten or more guys telling you not to pour roach powder, ROACH POWDER in to your oil and you need reasons.

On top of that, your acting all high minded ("experiment") as if you're somehow working at expanding the frontiers of learning by doing something that's simply dopey, excuse me, "out of the box".

Yeesh!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 05:55:54 pm
Has it really come to this?
You have ten or more guys telling you not to pour roach powder, ROACH POWDER in to your oil and you need reasons.
Can out of those ten people any one tell me why should not I use it. I am expecting a technical reason and not "Why oil companies are not using it" type answere. I guess you must have understood that I am looking for a reason and not just simple plain NO.

Please suggest.

Regards
Mandar

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 06:01:56 pm
I think a good place to start is to make a benefits vs risks analysis.

What are the proven benefits?
How many engines have been reported damaged?
Thanks for the positive response (first on this thread) Ace.
I had talked about this concept in my riding group and to my surprise this seems to be an old practice in two stroke days, and many peoples are using in the pre-UCE bullets for gear box along with EP90 oil.According to them, Shifting gears becomes very smooth.
I don't have any documented proof of this to scan and put it here.

Regards
Mandar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 06:03:56 pm
Okay, well as benefits go, that's about as low on the benefit scale as I have ever heard of.
Is there anything else good about it?

CDeckner

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 06:24:32 pm
I found a patent paper from '95 on the subject. http://www.google.com/patents/US5431830

Seems to me that adding a friction modifier to the proper spec engine oil would then push the oil out of spec for proper lubrication of an engine. Potentially causing early wearing of parts or catastrophic failure.

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 06:33:22 pm
Ace, these are the benefits from personal experience of the people. If we consider boron as friction busters (which it is) then it should increase MPG and also the life of engine, and only time can prove it. What else we can expect from a 0.2$ price.
This treatment once done is good for 20K KM and should not be repeated for each oil change hence no risk of oil "going out of specs" for a longer period of time.

Regards
Mandar

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 06:43:38 pm
Can out of those ten people any one tell me why should not I use it. I am expecting a technical reason and not "Why oil companies are not using it" type answere. I guess you must have understood that I am looking for a reason and not just simple plain NO.

Please suggest.

Regards
Mandar

Boric Acid has a PH less than 7.

Boric Acid will promote corrosion in copper, brass, and bronze bushings throughout your engine and transmission.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:31 pm
So, from what I see, there are no benefits that can be borne out by any fact.

However, we can see reports of engine destruction reported on that thread, and also we now see Gremlin's report of propensity for corrosion damage of brass and bronze materials in the engine and transmission.

So, as I see it right now:
Score
Benefits - Zero, but lots of wishful thinking.
Risks - Large, including destruction of the engine.

Not looking too good, Mandar. If there was some huge upside, that might be a different story, but I don't see any huge upside here. Not only is there no basis for expecting longer engine life, but there is now a good reason presented why it has a big chance of reducing engine life. It just doesn't look like a smart gamble to me.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:45:57 pm by ace.cafe »

Otto_Ing

Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 07:17:58 pm
It is fun following this thread. In financial markets it is benefitial being an contrarian as the group/mass of traders is always wrong per definition even if their logic is seamingly right. However I've not seen mass psychology applied to technical matters working out so far...  ;D ...unless maybe a new discovery?  :P where the majority refuses to believe it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:25:27 pm by Otto_Ing »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 08:20:40 pm

Boric Acid has a PH less than 7.

Boric Acid will promote corrosion in copper, brass, and bronze bushings throughout your engine and transmission.
That might explain why everything seems to smooth out and loosen up when boric acid is added to the oil - it is dissolving the internals and creating greater clearances, thus allowing them to spin more freely. Just what is needed  ;)
 B.W.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:23:47 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

upintheair

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 08:50:36 pm
This reminds me of when I worked in an aircraft engine overhaul shop and had an oil burning engine (past the rings, chromed cylinders with cast iron rings) come in for repair.  The engine was at the recommended time between overhaul, so the shop owner decided to see if the benefits of putting Bon Ami in the oil to seat the rings, as the street wisdom suggested, would really work.  We ran the engine with the additive and could note no external benefits (fully instrumented aircraft, cht, egt, oil temp, oil pressure, rpm).  Upon teardown, the results: were gummed up rings, junk in all of the oil passages, hydraulic lifters, and no effect on the cylinder walls (still glazed from an improper break-in procedure many hours ago).  Nothing positive, all negative for this test,
Historical: 1952 Cushman, 1958 Vespa 125, Honda 2x 1963 C110, 1968? CL77, 1975 TL125, Yamaha 1963 YDS2, 1975 XS650, 1968 Kawasaki 175, 1965 Hodaka Ace 100, 1960 BSA A65, 2006 Jonway 250, 1975 Bultaco 250 Alpina,
Current:  2015 Green RE B5 with K70's, DID 530 chain, Koso TNT,

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 09:01:22 pm
It is fun following this thread. In financial markets it is benefitial being an contrarian as the group/mass of traders is always wrong per definition even if their logic is seamingly right. However I've not seen mass psychology applied to technical matters working out so far...  ;D ...unless maybe a new discovery?  :P where the majority refuses to believe it.

The wisdom on Boric Acid (from Argonne natl. labs) is NANO-particles of the compound can result in a 4% increase in fuel efficiency.  I'm not hearing how our amateur experimenter is planning on creating the proper particle size.....

http://www.anl.gov/articles/nano-boric-acid-makes-motor-oil-more-slippery
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5