HPRE

Menu

105 Guests, 2 Users
tracendaz, Scotty Brown

Author Topic: Indian Chief build, looking for Information  (Read 21016 times)

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
Re: Indian Chief build, looking for Information
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »
Well, I seriously try not to ;D

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2018, 06:58:57 am »
Today I made use of the nice weather and made me comfortable on the balcony. Besides my coffee cup some wires, tape, pliers and the plan. The result is a preliminary wiring harness.

Even though there's not much to it, it still took some time. Mainly because I opened and redid it several times, to avoid wires crossing, especially at branches, but also because of the "unregulated" Lucas power supply. Unregulated in quotation marks, as the stabilisation of the voltage is basicly done by the electrical load and different alternator circuitry dependig on it. This of course leads to wires running all across the harness to a switch and back, to accomplish the desired circutry.

However, it is ready so far and waiting to be braided:

The leads to the taillight and brake light switch are rather unspectacular, lines with plastic hose connected to the main harnes by bullet connectors.
So long,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:12 pm »
I would convert to 12V as a matter of course, but that would not be in the spirit of this restoration, along with any other new-fangled fakery...

6V LED halamp bulbs are available, though.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:35 am »
Hi Adrian,
in every other case I'd be with you and definitely choose a 12V fully regulated system even with LED bulbs, but you'd have to change the whole setup in this case. I'll see if this works to be satisfiing, otherwise I'll add a regulator and switch to LED, altough I'm not sure if those are road legal around here (as headlight).
So long,
Andreas

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2018, 01:53:59 pm »
My Chief is all the old 6v Lucas stuff and it works fine.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:42 am »
This kind of was my point. Modern upgrades can be a good thing if discretely applied. But as Andreas is going for broke in making this an authentic restoration as possible, I'd have to say that in this case 6V has to be the only way to go!

Now if you have any contacts at an oil refinery somewhere, maybe they could be persuaded who would run off a batch of 1960 specification high-octane gasoline to suit this bike, though I think we'd all be queueing up for some of that...  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:11 am »
Yeah, that's why, all or nothing 8)
But I think she'll have to be fine with regular gas, the "fine spirits" are my personal reward and made from braley rather than oil :o

Today I got a package with two of the mudguard/fender ornaments, both nos and in wonderful shape :)
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2018, 04:07:35 am »
Made a little progress and replaced the wires on the alternator. The old ones were brittle and the sheathing broken. I used Diolene braid, that was closest to the original. The ends are wrapped to the inside. This gives a clean ending and provides some more strength for the strain relief:

At the connector side I pulles the wires through the braiding, that is also wrapped to the inside and fixated with tape to avoid slipping off:

Now I'd have to finish with the "Knitty Kitty" so I can braid the harnesss itself ::)
So long,
Andreas