Author Topic: Indian Chief build, looking for Information  (Read 101230 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #210 on: April 05, 2018, 09:38:21 pm
Well, I seriously try not to ;D

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #211 on: April 08, 2018, 12:58:57 pm
Today I made use of the nice weather and made me comfortable on the balcony. Besides my coffee cup some wires, tape, pliers and the plan. The result is a preliminary wiring harness.

Even though there's not much to it, it still took some time. Mainly because I opened and redid it several times, to avoid wires crossing, especially at branches, but also because of the "unregulated" Lucas power supply. Unregulated in quotation marks, as the stabilisation of the voltage is basicly done by the electrical load and different alternator circuitry dependig on it. This of course leads to wires running all across the harness to a switch and back, to accomplish the desired circutry.

However, it is ready so far and waiting to be braided:

The leads to the taillight and brake light switch are rather unspectacular, lines with plastic hose connected to the main harnes by bullet connectors.
So long,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #212 on: April 08, 2018, 11:35:12 pm
I would convert to 12V as a matter of course, but that would not be in the spirit of this restoration, along with any other new-fangled fakery...

6V LED halamp bulbs are available, though.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #213 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:35 pm
Hi Adrian,
in every other case I'd be with you and definitely choose a 12V fully regulated system even with LED bulbs, but you'd have to change the whole setup in this case. I'll see if this works to be satisfiing, otherwise I'll add a regulator and switch to LED, altough I'm not sure if those are road legal around here (as headlight).
So long,
Andreas

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #214 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:59 pm
My Chief is all the old 6v Lucas stuff and it works fine.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #215 on: April 10, 2018, 01:08:42 pm
This kind of was my point. Modern upgrades can be a good thing if discretely applied. But as Andreas is going for broke in making this an authentic restoration as possible, I'd have to say that in this case 6V has to be the only way to go!

Now if you have any contacts at an oil refinery somewhere, maybe they could be persuaded who would run off a batch of 1960 specification high-octane gasoline to suit this bike, though I think we'd all be queueing up for some of that...  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #216 on: April 11, 2018, 03:32:11 pm
Yeah, that's why, all or nothing 8)
But I think she'll have to be fine with regular gas, the "fine spirits" are my personal reward and made from braley rather than oil :o

Today I got a package with two of the mudguard/fender ornaments, both nos and in wonderful shape :)
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #217 on: April 15, 2018, 10:07:35 am
Made a little progress and replaced the wires on the alternator. The old ones were brittle and the sheathing broken. I used Diolene braid, that was closest to the original. The ends are wrapped to the inside. This gives a clean ending and provides some more strength for the strain relief:

At the connector side I pulles the wires through the braiding, that is also wrapped to the inside and fixated with tape to avoid slipping off:

Now I'd have to finish with the "Knitty Kitty" so I can braid the harnesss itself ::)
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #218 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:19 am
Yet another little update.

The wires were secured by a metal strap:

For the wire connectors I harvested an old Indian (from India) 6V harness. This is at the moment the only source I know to get the old style bullet connectors with affordable effort:

The wire was then routed through the housing and secured by a twin conical slotted grommet:

When the counter piece is screwed down, the grommets are pressed in the conical seat and both fix and seal the wires/cables:

The breather pipe was taken from the Interceptor and, as it had some scratches, got some silver paint. I admit, compared to the rest this seems a little halfhearted, but it's not recognizable (compare the crank case pipe directly above) and most places won't offer matt chrome. As the pipe is copper and the fitting brass, there won't be any rust and the paint only disguises the scraped chrome.

Then I secured the clutch cable using a split pin, and closed the primary case along with a new ruber seal:

The drain plug was heavily damaged and worn. Unfortunately these aren't available new. These are brass bolts, 3/8 BSF. I restored it as good as possible and it almost looks like new:

And just a somewhat ridiculous, but not unimportant detail, that bothered me for a long time now: The light switch!
This thing is simply set in place with a rubber grommet, at least that's the theory. It just wouldn't go in! I assume the rubber was too thick. I ended up with a pice of seat upholstery leather, wrapped around the switch and it fits!

Now I wait for the mudguards to be ready and in the meantime I'll take care of the chain guard and the battery case.
So long,
Andreas
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:22:43 am by grumbern »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #219 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:06 pm
For the wire connectors I harvested an old Indian (from India) 6V harness. This is at the moment the only source I know to get the old style bullet connectors with affordable effort:

£11.81 for a pack of 50, or €13.39, +VAT and carriage, choose your wire size.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/454/solder-type-bullet/35e33d4bda8c9131741b6e19aa8602f5

Or I could have a rummage my the 'leccy box for some surplus as I have gone over to the 3.9mm Japanese style Bullets, which I much prefer using, regardless of how un-authentic they are. As all my bikes are bitsas it's probably not worth my effort!

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #220 on: May 14, 2018, 06:32:00 pm
Hi Adrian,
there are several solder type bullet connectors available, but all of them (as far as I have seen) are not the same as the original Lucas ones - even the new ones from Lucas :o

I have some left overs from old harnesses and a buddy from the German RE-forum has an open eye when he's at his dealer's, who sometimes converts old Indian Bullets to 12V, or Diesel.

Never the less I still have an open eye for parts of old wiring. On other bikes I used the Japanese bullets, or flat connectors for convenience. But as the time goes I'm taking it for the worse with that authenticity thing ;D
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #221 on: May 14, 2018, 09:03:12 pm
Somewhere I think I still have the original 6V rectifier for the 1957 Bullet I used to own, I'd pretty much guarantee it no longer works... Does anyone repair these old things?

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #222 on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:49 pm
These are selene diode rectifiers. The plates that act as cooling fins are part of the diodes, or better said, the diodes are between. That's why the three connector terminals are on these plates. The fourth is the stud that holds them together. I doubt very much that these can be repaired, if damaged or broken. But you could build a modern silicon diode rectifier inside, so it would still have the original old fashioned look to it.

Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #223 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:46 pm
Let me know if you want my old rectifier to try that out...

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #224 on: May 15, 2018, 04:22:10 pm
Why not? Yet another challange to take ;D
So, yes please!

As it happens I started the Chief today and was not very happy with it. I did smoke a little from the right cylinder before, but today it took a step to the worse. It smoked really bad, especially when opening the throttle and there even was oil on the exhaust port! :'(

I really don't know why. All the valves and guides, as well as the pistons and rings are new, cylinders bored and honed to specs. First I thought this was just a matter of running in, but with this picture, I am afraid it might be a valve guide problem. I'll check the spark plug for signs of oil, too. If it doesn't show any, I gues it can only be the exhaust, otherwise it could be inlet, or piston rings...

Maybe you have another solution I am not aware of?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d65Rxbhuzeo&feature=youtu.be