HPRE

Menu

76 Guests, 1 User
Gesewa

Author Topic: Indian Chief build, looking for Information  (Read 16107 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Indian Chief build, looking for Information
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:04 pm »
Really coming along nicely!  Can't wait to see it all finished up and complete.  You are definitely spending more time building your bike than I did on mine, and it shows.
I know stuff.  Or something.

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2017, 05:31:47 am »
Thanks, I too am really looking forward to the first ride. The front mudguard still waits at the previous owner for me to pick it up - but I have to do it with the otherwise finished bike, that's the condition.

Yesterday I ordered the mufflers and some small parts from HMC, and as I decided to use the old exhaust pipes, started working on these.

One hat a massve ding, right in the bottom bend as well as a crack.

The other one had a bad kink, right where the footrest is:

I got them out mostly, the remaining dings will have to be taken care of at the plating shop.
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2017, 06:24:10 am »
Yesterdy I was able to pick up the chrome plated parts for the Chief:

Turned out gorgeous and 150€ seems quite reasonable!
I adjusted the exhaust pipes an Friday (I got the mufflers from HMC and so that came quite handy) and left them right there. Now I wait for the estimate.
Gruß,
Andreas

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:36 am »
Nothing much has happened, but I started on the rear footrest mounts:

Still needs deburring and tapping as well as turning the end conic. But first I need a 3/8"-, or 7/16"-BSC tap.
So long,
Andreas

Oranator

• Neophyte
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2017, 09:38:14 am »
Hi Andreas,

How is the "knitty kitty" coming along.

I need a wire harness, could you please send the old one back for my used parts shadow box.

Oran

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »
Hi Oran,
the "knitty kitty" will take a little longer, but I have your harness ready with exception of the connectors. I screwed up with the tin plating. I'll try to get it ready by the week and if not, I'll send it to you like it is and you can use different connectors.
Sorry for the long wait, I'm a little depressed at the moment thinking of all the time and money that went into these damn connectors and now they're all like useless and need some distance from that, to catch some new enthusiasm :-[
But, either way, by the end of the week your harnesses will be on the way back to you!
Best wishes,
Andreas

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:56 am »
Now that my foot rest holders are almost ready (deburring and polishing has yet to be done, a 7/16-BSC tap is now part of my inventory and did it's job), I naturally wanted to try on the mufflers. And right here it was where the little gremlins did their work!

Correct spare part number, but the mount does not fit. The outer diametre is too small, the inner one too big. All in all too thin and weak, must be cheaper ::)

This resulting in the muffler sitting lose and not adjusting to the right position, but also can not be fastened as much, because I fear that pipe to flatten. The fact of the footrest holders creating a step there I will considder a minor flaw.

What really bums me out is that:

The pipe's too long! Hurray, the studs specially bought for that won't do anymore, because they're consequently too short!

The fun is endless. Why make replicas and mess about with such a nonsense?! I mean, that really is rubbish. I surely won't considder the option of shortening the pipe on a chromed new item. Sending it back won't bring me any further as well, as there's no adequate replacement and I don't like the fact of the shipping charges blown in the wind (as they're not tooooo cheap).

I'll contact HMC on that, but the solution will probably be turning a longer, matching stud from stainless steel, with a thicker shaft in the area of the muffler mount, to keep the play between accepable borders.

Next: The "quickly detatchable rear hub" on the Chief is more of a bad pun, than a reasonable "feature".

The fat tyre makes mounting the rear wheel impossible, without removal of the Sprocket with cush-drive and rear brake. Even without any air, the space is not enough to squeeze the wheel in there. They could have use a system much less complex than this one. Well...

Today I will pick up the downpipes from chrome plating.
For conclusion here's a little impression:

So long,
Andreas
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:48:52 am by grumbern »

grumbern

• Bulleteer
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2017, 03:43:36 am »
The downpipes and right muffler are mounted.
I made a fitting stud from an M12 bolt's shaft, with 7/16-BSC on the ends.

The second one has yet to be done.
So long,
Andreas