Author Topic: 1939 Model CO - Information  (Read 2006 times)

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:09 pm
Hi
I am trying to fit the crank into the drive side and I am unsure of how it goes together. I have a new bearing (cage and rollers), and spacer, but the diameter of the spacer is much smaller than the bush. Should the spacer just butt up against the large washer fitted to the crankcase, and also should there be thrust washers between the bearing and the crank or between the bearing and the spacer, and finally which way round should the bearing be fitted.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:14:54 pm
Well, the Bullet has a thrust washer between the flywheel and the bearing rollers, and also has a spacer like that between the roller bearing and the drive side ball bearing.
It appears by looking at the crankshaft on the drive side, that this would be a similar arrangement with the CO. It looks like there is a nice flat section of the crankshaft there to go thru a ball bearing, with the spacer setting the distance between them on the shaft. There should be a corresponding outer spacer of the same length but larger diameter to space the outer race distance too.
I have not done a CO, but it looks very similar to the Bullet so it might work the same way.

A single-row roller bearing like that should be able to be fitted either way round without any difference.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:17:13 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:22:49 pm
Thanks Tom,

I missed it in the manual, there are two of these bearings. It was about 3 years ago that I stripped this down, and I couldn't remember how it came apart.
I have just ordered another bearing.

Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:01:08 pm
I picked up a clutch a while ago, and when I went to fit it realised I had made a mistake. Should make someone laugh at my expenses.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:22:48 pm
Hey, ummm.....  That sprocket doesn't go there.   ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King