Author Topic: Issues with my 2009 C5 Classic (Oil/Exhaust/Starting)  (Read 7344 times)

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 07:51:04 pm
"Replaced and cleaned up. Do you guys think I need to open up anything else to clean due to the overfill of the oil? "

You may want to remove the airbox and ensure you didn't get any oil down into the intake boot - the rubber part that leads to the EFI.  If that is clean, then you should be fine.  I too received a slightly larger air filter in one of my orders.  It fit and worked just fine.

1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:02:32 pm
"Replaced and cleaned up. Do you guys think I need to open up anything else to clean due to the overfill of the oil? "

You may want to remove the airbox and ensure you didn't get any oil down into the intake boot - the rubber part that leads to the EFI.  If that is clean, then you should be fine.  I too received a slightly larger air filter in one of my orders.  It fit and worked just fine.
In India we have model Thunderbird (350 and 500 both) which has a slightly bigger Air filter than that of Classic.
Regards
Mandar

orionsilver

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 01:18:25 pm

Good idea - I'll try to tackle it this weekend.

In India we have model Thunderbird (350 and 500 both) which has a slightly bigger Air filter than that of Classic.
Regards
Mandar
Good to know thanks!

In other news, I got stranded yesterday because the battery died. Ended up having to get a tow and then I realized it's probably the battery. All good for now....knock on wood.

Also, does anyone know how to have both kickstart and electric start for the 2009 C5? Nfield Gear has a kit that does ES to KS ONLY but I'm looking for a kit that has both. Just a project later on down the road once I have funds saved up dedicated for the bike.
http://www.nfieldgear.com/electric-start-to-kick-start-conversion-kit/?page_context=search&faceted_search=0
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:22:16 pm by orionsilver »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:15 pm
That kit is for the iron barrel models - it doesn't fit your C5...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 01:31:41 pm
Good idea - I'll try to tackle it this weekend.
Good to know thanks!

In other news, I got stranded yesterday because the battery died. Ended up having to get a tow and then I realized it's probably the battery. All good for now....knock on wood.

Also, does anyone know how to have both kickstart and electric start for the 2009 C5? Nfield Gear has a kit that does ES to KS ONLY but I'm looking for a kit that has both. Just a project later on down the road once I have funds saved up dedicated for the bike.
http://www.nfieldgear.com/electric-start-to-kick-start-conversion-kit/?page_context=search&faceted_search=0
Theoretically, you could look thru the parts book and find out what parts changes are required to add the kickstart package from the later models to your bike. This is assuming that they didn't make any changes to the crankcase, and it's primarily external stuff. Con't know if that assumption is valid, though. I'm sure that some new side cover pieces and various shafts and lever will be needed. Could be expensive, but it might not be too hard to do it. You just have to study up to see what it takes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

orionsilver

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:01 pm
That kit is for the iron barrel models - it doesn't fit your C5...
Oh crap - I completely missed that. Thanks! :-[

Theoretically, you could look thru the parts book and find out what parts changes are required to add the kickstart package from the later models to your bike. This is assuming that they didn't make any changes to the crankcase, and it's primarily external stuff. Con't know if that assumption is valid, though. I'm sure that some new side cover pieces and various shafts and lever will be needed. Could be expensive, but it might not be too hard to do it. You just have to study up to see what it takes.
Yeah that's what I was thinking also. I doubt a lot may have changed from the 2009 to say a 2011 model. I'll do some research in the coming weeks and post up a thread if I end up finding out that it's possible. That or I'll just call my RE mechanic in India and ask him if its possible and the potential costs involved.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 02:44:06 pm
Also, does anyone know how to have both kickstart and electric start for the 2009 C5?

There was some discussion here in the past about this idea - search the archives...

I don't know if it's as simple as drilling out the right-side engine cover for the kick-start shaft, in which case you could use your OEM cover.

If it turns out you might need a new (or different) cover, here's something which might be worth researching: it seems that there may have been a change at some point to either the "magneto" rotor, or the stator in the cover, or the cover itself... or possibly all three.  In these parts book pages (attached), there is reference to size differences in the "stator mtg hole"; you may find a new kick-start-ready engine side cover, and find your rotor doesn't fit?  Or you might just need to switch out the stator?

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:44 pm
FYI, my 2011 C5 also did not come with a kick start.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:23 pm
FYI, my 2011 C5 also did not come with a kick start.

Orionsilver was right, then - not a lot did change between 2009 and 2011...  ;)

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 05:46:43 pm
There was some discussion here in the past about this idea - search the archives...

I don't know if it's as simple as drilling out the right-side engine cover for the kick-start shaft, in which case you could use your OEM cover.

If it turns out you might need a new (or different) cover, here's something which might be worth researching: it seems that there may have been a change at some point to either the "magneto" rotor, or the stator in the cover, or the cover itself... or possibly all three.  In these parts book pages (attached), there is reference to size differences in the "stator mtg hole"; you may find a new kick-start-ready engine side cover, and find your rotor doesn't fit?  Or you might just need to switch out the stator?
Actually, it is in fact, just that simple... if you have the intestinal fortitude to pull the engine and split the case. I just did this in April (I was replacing a bearing anyway) and posted a complete list of needed parts in " What did you do to your Enfield today".
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.