Author Topic: BMW Engine Loses Power Past One Third Throttle  (Read 2186 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:25 pm
Motorcycle Consumer News has interesting articles every month. It also has list of motorcycle recalls..HD, Kawasaki, BMW, Indian and what not.

Coming to the title. It can happen to an RE or any other motorcycle. Bike runs fine at idle, fine at low speeds, but as the throttle is opened past a certain point, engine loses power, misses and struggles to speed up.

Interesting that even BMW dealers struggle to resolve it, using shotgun approach of replace this or replace that.

The general approach to find the cause and steps taken to remedy the problem are the same as reported in this article, irrespective of the brand of motorcycle, here is thought for the day attached as pdf file.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:32:15 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:07:52 am
Singhg,

Leroy email me about may 19th that the dealer found the problem. Leroy stated the Techs read the article, did additional troubleshooting to find the problem. If memory serves me correctly it was a defective coil.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:41:31 am
It can -and does- happen to lots of modern bikes and cars. Drivability issues are the hardest to troubleshoot.  I dont envy the techs that have to find the problem on a modern v8 or v12 motor
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:52:48 pm
It can -and does- happen to lots of modern bikes and cars. Drivability issues are the hardest to troubleshoot.  I dont envy the techs that have to find the problem on a modern v8 or v12 motor

I can tell ya, even with $10,000 programs to talk to the cars, down to how they are feeling about tomorrow.
It takes forever, far cry from carby dizzy old engines, where it was coil, carb or compression generally, a modern BMW V8 has about 8 things to tell the ECU things so it decides to tell a coil pack on one of the eight cylinders to fire now...
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.