Author Topic: Led lights for nacelle  (Read 6032 times)

decker

• Bulleteer
on: May 31, 2015, 06:20:04 am
The following chart was posted for led lights for a C5. Would they be the the same for a G5?
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:09:23 am
Yes, they should be fine as long as your G5 doesn't have the 'wedge' type bulbs.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:55:59 am
They look horrible, though, I think.

The light is too "hard" - much closer to pure white than the rather "vintage" looking soft yellow of the genuine filament bulbs.  They look out of place, somehow.

Still, each to their own - it's just my preference.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:01:07 pm
They look horrible, though, I think.

The light is too "hard" - much closer to pure white than the rather "vintage" looking soft yellow of the genuine filament bulbs.  They look out of place, somehow.

Agreed!  I used them anyway, based on hearsay about the supposedly weak charging system.

The only problem is the two pilot lights - the rest are hidden behind colored coverings.  The warning lights (neutral, high-beam, turn-signal) don't look any worse, just bright, which is a good thing in my book.  The speedo back-light was too bright, too, but I modified it... now it's too ugly to expose behind the clear pilot lenses, but hidden behind the speedo, it's perfect!

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10412.msg172435.html#msg172435

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:47:30 pm
Agreed!  I used them anyway, based on hearsay about the supposedly weak charging system.

Fair enough, but it isn't really that weak.  220W at 5000rpm, which suggests maybe half that at a pottering 2500rpm.  110W is still enough, I would think, although I confess I haven't measured the operating current of the fuel pump and the ECU.  Does anyone know these?

For me, fitting LED lamps is primarily about never having to worry about the filament blowing and leaving me unprotected.  Especially for the rear light.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:46 am
Most BA9 LED bulbs come in both cool and warm white, as well as a variety of other colors.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:54 am
No comment on your list being correct. I am using all LED's everywhere on my G5 deluxe, except 7" headlight bulb & my 2 bar end directional signals.  I pulled out my old bulbs, got the #s off them & purchased my LED's all on Ebay, from American vendors at a huge savings. be sure to use the same color bulb as the lens you are putting it behind. I use a RED 1157 tail light LED bulb.
  I have just completed putting all LED's in my URAL with the exception of directionals. My Ural Headlight & Spotlights are also all LED. The headlight runs a $10.35 H4 LED with a magnified projector. The 7"headlight reflector itself is diamond cut, with a magnifying projector lens inside the clear 7" lens. Enclosing photos of my LED Headlight & spots. The blue light is my (always on) daytime running pilot. when I turn on the headlight the full array comes on. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:39:03 pm by Craig McClure »
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:10:36 am
The following chart was posted for led lights for a C5. Would they be the the same for a G5?
My old receipt!  This should work except that many bulbs are wedge type now (not all) so please see what you have before you order.  These are outstanding for the instrument panel lights, but I would recommend finding a less blue version for the tiger eyes.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:23 am
...I would recommend finding a less blue version for the tiger eyes.

When I "converted", I couldn't find any "less blue" versions - they seemed to be all very cold white LED's.  If anyone finds some of the older non-wedge-type BA9's that look like warm incandescents, please post about it here... I'd get a couple for the pilot lights.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:18 am
Personally speaking, I don't mind the bit of blueness as it blends well with my teal bike and blue dot 7" adjure headlight.  These are definitely very bright and make you more visibile on the road......I have seen a few with amber/yellow tiger eyes, but those don't seem to look that great.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:37:28 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:23 am
The only color of lights visible from the front that are legal in Arizona are white or amber or any color between these.
Blue or red lights are prohibited on the front unless your in a Police car or Fire truck.

The blueish LED's might be considered blue by the local officers depending on whether the Dunkin Donuts was well stocked or sold out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:37:16 am
I still have my blue lens nacelle LED running lights & blue LED pilot "haunt" light. No one has hassled me in Georgia or Florida, it only gets thumbs up from police, but it is a G5 Deluxe....
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:15 am
I have those white LEDs in the tiger eyes. Of course they don't go with the vintage look of the bike. But I have them on so that people in their cars can notice some alien outside - from a distance. The light produced by the LEDs = quite piercing. If they still don't notice it, oh well. Gives me peace of mind anyway lol.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:59 pm
....... I have them on so that people in their cars can notice some alien outside - from a distance. The light produced by the LEDs = quite piercing..........

I agree !   that's why I keep them in mine.   I run with a pilot lamp (GE B9 Long-Life 14 volt) during the daytime.  I really like the deep yellow gas-light glow it creates in the heavily fluted lens.   The Uber-bright tiger-eyes do a decent job of grabbing attention especially since they are pointed slightly off-track towards the outside.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5