Author Topic: Big 9000 mile Road Trip - Australia  (Read 32943 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: July 09, 2015, 01:54:33 pm
sunset - red centre of Australia

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 01:56:39 pm
tomprrow I will show you how red the fine sand really is

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #77 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:02 pm
Why or how is the soil so red there?

It must be those deep red sunsets!

lots of zebra finches in the surrounding trees

Step away from the finches, bird-boy...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: July 09, 2015, 03:51:38 pm
Haha. ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #79 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:54 pm
Great pics Bill - keep em coming. You've given me the itch to get back to Oz..
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: July 10, 2015, 08:23:01 am
the olgas central aust - 30 miles from Uluru

I do have to walk to get these photos.... ;D ;D ;D car in the centre

back to the olgas

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: July 10, 2015, 11:07:18 am
Wow.  Just wow...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #82 on: July 10, 2015, 01:04:44 pm
Wonderful shots.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: July 12, 2015, 01:11:03 pm
ULURU

this is what ever-one comes to see. by the time I look through the photo's daily and log them to photo bucket then send the photo 's and info to 4 forums it usually takes 2 hours a day. so overall a fair bit of work getting it together. plus the Wi-Fi connections and most places is totally useless and sometimes a photo might take a minute or 2 or more to load.

so this info is going to 3 usa sites/car/birds/bike. so this info is useful to them

Uluru is around about a 5 hour drive from alice springs on a good sealed road at speed posted from 60 to 80 mph or you can fly direct to the local airport.

upon arrival at yalara there are multiple choices of accommodation. wife and I had trouble getting accommodation and had to settle for the back packer quad bunk special - $184 night. highly overpriced for the minimum priced nightly accommodation here but not much you can do. it was clean and tidy

I had the choice of a double room with ensuite -see below photo - it was only $450 a night :lol: :lol: and they had no chance of getting that out of me for 3 nights

driving about the complex which was huge and housed several hundred people it was very well organised. drive in from the front and one way only throughout the complex

ULURU

once settled in the next thing you want to do is see the rock. from yalura or 3 mile up the road you enter a divided road where you stop at a check point and decided if you want a 3 day or a annual pass. we adopted the 3 day pass at $25 a head. got the 2 tickets with our surnames on and was asked to present the tick anytime I pass the check point

when you see Uluru for the first time or in my case the third time it's HUGE! no question about that HUGE! you can see it 30 to 40 klm away. once you arrive at the base of uluru it will take you about 4 hours to walk the 10 klm around the circumference

I took this great shot at sunset strip . got over the fence to line up the shot with the surrounding scrub etc and the friggin ranger pulled up flashing his lights and blasting the horn. I had earplugs in from driving the car with the roof off and didn't hear him and he then got out of the ute and got up on the tray and was yelling out to me.
I still didn't see him and somehow look over to see where the wife was and she was pointing at the guy yelling and wildly waving his hands about.
I knew straight away it was a friggin ranger so headed for the fence. he got back in his ute and headed off. he got a bit excited I thought. might have been a top wire strung fence but there were tracks in the area everywhere but not one sign saying DO NO ENTER!
when I drove out 3 hours later 8 or 10 others were all walking about in the same spot - :roll: anyway I wasn't happy about the horn blowing and the other crap so if he had been a smart ass i'd say i'd been leaving the park early :lol: :lol: :lol:

heading in a clockwise direction this is your first sighting of the part they call the climb

walkway to the climb

the climb! to date 34 have either died from injury or heart attach -either way dead! how steep is it. well 35 years ago I actually climbed and ran down it. this time I got to the rocky ledge before the chains and decided stuff it!

but I still managed to run back down and have had a sore back now for a day or more. I was told not to do it :lol: :lol: plus I got it all on the go pro 4 hero

more trivia from the bottom to the top of the climb 1.6 klm or 1 mile. climb is closed in rainy or windy conditions

now see that guy standing in the centre in blue. I walked up near him to the left. now it doesn't look far or steep!

different story up there looking down at the cars and buses

view left and right

up above me - the chained section

another view further along. this section called the brain

last few photos before we left

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: July 13, 2015, 06:25:35 am
Stunning scenery.  Thanks for posting.  I really need to head down there and take a look. it really reminds me of where I grew up in the Southwestern U.S.

It also reminds me of my early days working at Grand Canyon National Park.  Tourists as thick at fleas and most of them heart attacks waiting to happen.  I used to patrol the front-country and came across many a couple with a toddler in tow with a bottle of Coke and no hat when it was 110 degrees F and no clue.  Oh well, such is life...

Keep the stunning scenery coming our way.  Amazing!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:11:00 am by pmanaz1973 »
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:37 am
simpson's gap central Australia

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: July 14, 2015, 09:37:59 am
Standley chasm

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: July 17, 2015, 07:44:29 am
john Flynn reserve -

local camel club - closest I came to seeing one - $60 per ride

away they go - a $1000 camel train 3 times a day

tropic of Capricorn

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: July 18, 2015, 03:38:38 am

well here it is - after a 3 weeks run on all types of roads I got to this section Cheesy it wasn't what i'd call a very good day at all. I had a head/side wind to deal with plus the aerodynamic back pack on the rear of the car . actually the first 50 klm was rough going and lots of ripples in the black stuff.
plus the ramps, did I mention the ramps bang, bang and bang. heaps of them scattered along this section of the tarmac plus heavy undergrowth either side of the road.
at around the 70 klm mark into the open speed limit section the road was in very very good condition and I sat on an easy 150 klm cruise.
several klm after that I pushed it a bit harder and had the rev counter sitting on 6200 revs in top gear and doing a healthy 220 kph - sh*t ! it felt really really fast :wink: :NETPOINTZ: :NETPOINTZ:
afterwards thinking back on the above run i have no doubts at all without the backpack on the mx5 I could have pulled 7000 revs in top gear or maybe even hit the limiter.
anyway its now back to the legal 130 kph cruising which after a while appears slow till you hit a 100kph zone and you feel like you have stopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #89 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:30 am
Is the big NO    sign trying to tell you something?

It looks like something I would expect to see on an old  Rod Serling "The Twilight Zone" TV show.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary