Author Topic: Royal Enfield goes online with new apparel range and limited edition Despatch  (Read 3579 times)

dviscusi

• connoisseur of the finer things in life
  • Bulleteer
2014 royal enfield continental gt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I've seen several different pictures of these limited Despatch models.

They would look more realistic if they didn't have shiny chrome front forks, wheels and spokes, rear shocks and headlight rims.

The one that blows my mind is the Blue one.

I've never heard of the Military ever using a camouflaged Blue on any WW I or WW 2 motorcycle on any side of the conflict.
It seems someone in the front Advertising office must have said,
"There were also blue despatch motorcycles but they were just plain blue with white letters on them like "RAF" or "NAVY". 
With just big Royal Enfield letters on the tank it won't look like a military motorcycle....
I've got it!  We will just paint it with a camouflage looking design!!
With a blue camouflage paint job and big white Royal Enfield on the tank it will look just like the old dispatch bikes.  :)  :)."

If they really wanted to make a limited edition of dispatch motorcycles they would paint all surfaces and add a girder/springer front end.
Now, THAT would be special !! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
It's all just marketing. It doesn't have to relate to accuracy or reality. It's all about some kind of image for the modern hipster.
Basically trying to do what Harley does, with all the clothing and kitsch.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Yep. Marketing. Some "purists" will be offended.

Leica (the camera company) periodically comes out with "special editions" and some folks on the forums get all fired up and respond with an amazing stream of vitriolic comments. A recent example was the (link) Lenny Kravitz Correspondent edition.

My take on it is this. If a company marketed only the products I wanted they probably wouldn't be around very long. As long as I can get something close to what I want, it doesn't bother me if they sell something I don't want.

YMMV

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Here is another report regarding the "Despatch" models, ironically picked up from the BMW forum that I frequent (they post really great jokes every day): 

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/royal-enfield-even-further-back-in-time---despatch-riders.htm
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Here is another report regarding the "Despatch" models, ironically picked up from the BMW forum that I frequent (they post really great jokes every day): 

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/royal-enfield-even-further-back-in-time---despatch-riders.htm

Ooh!  Did you read the very very last part?  The 750 is expected to be released next year!   :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets

Ooh!  Did you read the very very last part?  The 750 is expected to be released next year!   :D

I am a bit concerned that all the high expectations for a RE 750 may result in a deflated reception when the bike is released, and the reality does not meet the imaginary vision that people are building up in their minds.

As for the "Limited Edition Despatch Models" and their "fashion outfts",...
...whatever.  :o

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:17:30 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I am a bit concerned that all the high expectations for a RE 750 may result in a deflated reception when the bike is released, and the reality does not meet the imaginary vision that people are building up in their minds.

As for the "Limited Edition Despatch Models" and their "fashion outfts",...
...whatever.  :o

I totally agree.  However, even if the motor is a bust for whatever reason, at least RE is attempting to move out of the single cylinder box.  I expect the twin to not be successful until the next generation is designed in the new British R&D facility.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

jskandhari

• Neophyte
Interesting read, most of the people out here don't seem to like the Limited Edition rolled out by RE. But like one stated till the time I am getting what I want, doesn't matter.
Same here liked the Blue Cameo and it connects to be on 2 levels one is my upbringing Background other is the History of who I am