Author Topic: If a Vespa can why can't I?  (Read 12047 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:14 pm
They're a joy when they're working well...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 09:57:40 pm
So very thankful for the UCE. What is the most over used word in the English language? I'd vote for "Awesome". Awesome girl friends to awesome cookies. Here in this corner of Wyoming it can be applied with confidence that it is not over used, yet not quite adequate. The sky is so blue that it defies any description of blue. And so crystal clear that mountain ranges a hundred miles away look only a short jog. The pools of volcanic super heated water, geysers, buffalo, elk and the majesty of the Tetons (Breast of the Earth) make this mind dumbing. Sensory overload. Every shade, very hue of color is here in the water and on the ground  Stunning, beautiful, incredible, majestic, wonderful, awesome or what ever your vocabulary allows. Nothing does it justice. We are here before the mad rush of July and August. Tom and Art are dumb struck. You can see it on TV or in a book, but nothing prepares you for this. The mountains still retain a cap of snow. No wonder the Sioux and Northern Cheyenne fought so hard to keep this part of their world. As I ride across the plains I wonder what it must have been like to be a Sioux warrior in the late 1700s with endless herds of buffalo and no intrusion of anyone. You were here and you were "the people". It must have be glorious.

RE agrees.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:15 am
On to Montana and BIG SKY. Tom asked me if RE needed more power? I asked him; "did we slow you down on the back roads we have been riding"? He replied, "no, we could not go much faster than we were". There is the answer. The roads were and are 50 mph roads. RE is in his element.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:30 am
Just at the end of the riding day we come up on a Honda trying to get his ancient Honda twin out of the road on to the shoulder. He and stopped and could not get the bike into neutral. Seeing him sweating and very frustrated, we stopped to help. I asked him if I could sit on his bike. He nodded a simple OK. Once On the bike I noticed the clutch lever had about an inch of free play. I adjusted the clutch for about 2mm of free play and it worked just fine. He marveled. It took all of two minutes.

I am no mechanic. Not even close. In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the author divides motorcyclist into two categories. Romantics who ride and all they care to do is ride. They care little of how a motorcycle actually works theory wise. Classics who want to know every bit of theory and how it all fits together in terms of theory and application of mechanical design. You need not apologize if you fit into one group or the other. Introvert or extrovert? No apology necessary. But you need to know. I am a Romantic. I'd rather ride than wrench any day. I do my routine maintenance out of necessity to ride. I won't rebuild any engine....ever!  One of my friends works on his bikes routinely in his world class shop, but rarely if ever rides much. He gets bored riding. He will find any excuse to fix something. He is pure Classic. He won't ride long distances....ever! Once you understand this and see it played out on this forum, you can see we are indeed individuals.  That is why Classics are always talking about swapping parts and modifications, while Romantics go riding on unmodified (or well sorted out bikes) and then leave them alone. Not right or wrong. Good or bad, just different. And this makes life work.

One of the top rated and most respected Iron Butt riders is notorious for hating to ever work on his bike. Only in an emergency. He does so well because of preparation before the ride.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:23:36 am by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 06:44:55 pm
I've downloaded on my Kindle every Enfield travel book I could find on Amazon. about a dozen. Most all center on the pre UCE bikes. We are heading into Montana and will continue to ride all back roads. All three of us are now addicted. We may venture in to Idaho if the roads are appealing. But always going north to north west. Weather is big deal here. It can get really cold in the AM and PM at altitude. And then there is rain to contend with. Cold rain. So, far the weather has been not been an issue. RE is running at his best. As the miles build up he looses up and feels more at ease at speed. Certainly shifts gears with ease. He tossed his baffle on the road. I turned around and found it. I replaced it and must say, he runs much better with a baffle. The acceleration is more crisp and sharp. He is a bit flat with out his baffle. And the noise is very annoying over time with out one. The baffle is just right. His header has yet to blue. So, however and who ever built him got it right. Perfect systematization of and parts and tuning. The EFI adjust to any altitude seamlessly. I rinsed out the K&N filter re-oiled it and reinstalled in Jackson. It was dirty. Trick is not to over oil the filter. I did not need to replaced the plug, but did any way. My NGK BP6ES spare was gaped, with a touch of anti-seize on the threads ready to go. The first plug was spot on in terms of color. The Stage One kit works just fine. Install and forget it. The only thing RE asked for was to have his idle dropped and bit after some break in miles. Two Canadians asked me how I liked my new Indian Enfield. Not what year is it?. I am impressed. But of course they were riding vintage Triumphs. Next to RE and I say this out of earshot, the feel of a vintage Triumph with a 360 degree crank is my favorite. New triumphs are great bikes. But a bit porky for my taste. The best of the old breed was the Thunderbird. Very reliable and a joy to ride. Once they bumped the compression and added two carbs and hotter cams, the twins were less reliable and more harsh to ride. All done I might add was in response to the American market's desire for more power. No different today.  RE lower state of tuning gives him the same feel as the old Bird. It flat works. This bike has gone and is going the distance. It has enough horsepower. Our average speed can't be over 45 mph given the endless twisting roads we choose. Could not go faster. Not a race. Who cares!!! Some days we make the 150/150. Most days we do not. Who cares!!! And oh yes, I will buy an Airhawk pad.  The Aerostich under ware has made it bearable so far. But the stock seat has it's limits.
The scenery continues to stun our senses as the mountains range way above us. The cold air from the peaks is so fresh and crisp it burns as we ride. Western Montana is Grizzly country. We were told not to leave any food at stops and to be watchful in the remote areas. The trick is going to be finding just the right roads that take us north, but are remote and fun to ride. Map time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:50:59 pm by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 10:06:45 pm
We are at a map stop.  Tom ask, do you really talk to that bike? Yes, I do. Its good karma. What do you say? I tell RE he is doing great and I appreciate all of his hard work. I tell him to stay with me as we are getting close to the end.

Stop over and route decided, at least this part of it until we feel lost again. Art, gets on BV and says, "come on girl we've along way to go. Hang in there, you're doing great."

YES, another convert.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:37 am
yaaay so much to read :D
just came back from 5 day riding, camping, hotel-ing, motel-ing. will write something about it too but first the adventures of professor to read
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 06:42:04 am
We are riding faster. I've noticed that there are now no chicken stripes on any of the tires. Art never had any. But Tom and I are all the way to the edge. We are taking turns faster and smoother. After half a million you get it. Three times today the time spent at Laguna in the  riding school rendered dividends. Went into turns too fast, off camber and damp from melt. Eyes ahead focused on where I wanted to go, touched the rear brake (trailing brake) to correct and counter steered, while never letting off the throttle or touching the front brake so as to not upset the suspension and stand the bike up. Weight on the inside foot peg.  Bike when through the turn using all of both tires. The Avons did just fine. RE acted as though nothing had happened.

I rode my bicycle everyday for fifteen to twenty miles and hit the weights t to four days each week hard for three months before this ride. I always work out. And I am in good shape, but wanted to take it to the next level. I am very, very tired. My companions are very fit. They are getting tired as well. Fitness plays a big role in a long ride We all agree on one thing, no heavy motorcycles. We are fixed on riding light bikes. I'd hate to muscle a 650 plus pound machine on these back roads. And a hundred pounds of luggage.  No wonder they stay on the freeways.

We are planning our September trip. This trip is a cross country trip. Both Tom and Art will ride new Ducati Scramblers. I will give RE a break and ride something else, but definitely from Europe and right about 400 lbs.

Tomorrow we are in Missoula, then to Kalispell and then to Glacier Park and on to Canada. Once in Canada we take a sharp left turn on to Vancouver. Our travel routes are very easy to follow. Look at your atlas, see the above cities, now find the fine blue lines going north. That's where we are. All back roads. Today we hit some hard packed dirt ranch  roads as short cuts without event. The mountains are never far away. The temperature is in the low 70s in the valleys, temp goes down with altitude as you would expect. Much of the riding is through green national forest. As stated the narrow valleys are both warm and scenic, but most of all have well maintained roads and wonderful people, friendly and best of all willing to show us unmerited hospitality. We are off the beaten path. The Florida tags on the scooters are killer. People are amazed. We are truly discovering America at the grass roots. William Least Heat Moon and Bill Bryson could do no better. The scooters have a limited range, so carry extra fuel. I do not. I simply fill up or top off at every opportunity. And usually it is time to stop anyway. I would guess the mileage to be around 50 to 60 mpg. Put it this way, the tank will outlast the seat. Problem; RE will run on any available octane. The scooters require premium. So, they carry it along. Not every remote gas station has premium. Both carry bottles of octane booster. No idea if it even works. RE doesn't know either. Problem; if the scooters have a flat, plug it and CO2 the tires for instant refill. Tubeless tires are a wonder, if the bead is not broken. RE has old fashioned tubes. No such luck. I filled his tires with green slime. I pray, yes pray it will work if it must. So far..........................

I was told to change the chain and tires before I left. Nonsense, the stock items are just fine. The stock "O" ring chain is well up to the task. Just lube it and keep it adjusted which is infrequent. Royal Enfield did well in their choice of these components.

We are planning our next cross country trip for Sept/Oct. Tom and Art will ride two new Ducati Scramblers. Version has not been decided. I will give RE a break and ride something European weighing abound 400 lbs. Again we will not camp, but travel light. Riding is the focus. Always about riding. And more riding.
All of us have jobs that we must get back to for the time being. My ride is about over, they are only half way there.

I asked Tom if in a hurricane when the weather was at it's worst on the seas and the pucker factor was at redline during a rescue, if he ever talked to his boat. Just a simple; "please get us home safely and stay afloat." He said,  "well, yes I suppose I have."  Point made. RE understands completely.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:45 pm
Hi Professor!
  Thanks for a truly enjoyable read.  ;D ;D Having previously ridden a good portion of your route, I heartily agree with your spot-on descriptions of the roads, mountains, and (since I'm a native Montanan) the people!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:48 pm
We will be in Missoula today. Go on past and further north if we can. I will not go to Vancouver but end my ride as I had planned on the border. I need to get on with other things as we all must at some point. RE will be trucked home. When I started I was alone. Now I have two very good like minded friends. Both told me that they are now addicted to back roads and exploring. It adds a bit of mystery to a trip and is always engaging. Funny the thing, what inspired the ride was a Vespa posting and now I end up riding with one. The scooters are simply top notch equipment. We met a Montana Vespa rider who rode to Alaska in 2011 a few days back.  The BV is fast, but the plastic body work leaves me cold. The Vespa while less power, is beautiful and classic. Much like RE.

I made my point, at least to my self. RE can go the distance. The Indians were right on. Just keep the speed down, let RE tell you where he is most happy and you'll do fine. Don't ask for more than he can give. But that is true of many things in life. "Know your limits", as Clint Eastwood once said in a movie. We will make it to the border of that I am certain. He does not want to give up now. Nor do I. But that is far enough for the time we have. After communicating with the Indians, I am sure I could go from one end of their country to the other and never pay for a room or a meal. They too have followed RE. Very kind and generous people. I am considering their offers. If you are resting you are rusting.

When US riders were worrying about the reliability of their bikes and sorting parts as Classics are prone to do, the Romantic Indians simply encouraged me to get on it and ride. In America the Enfield is a small bike. Not really fit for long rides. Everyone knows that. And they are not Japanese or European quality. Wonder what the rest of the world would say about that?  Matters little to be honest, either you will get on it and ride or you won't. You can find a multitude of reasons not too. I know of only one reason to actually do it, it makes me very happy and keeps me sane in a world of conflicts and stress. I am not foolish. I spent a lot of time preparing the bike. It is by nature a big single and vibrates at it's own rhythm and frequency. That which gives it character, also gives it the ability to shed it's nut and bolts. I lost none. I broke nothing. No parts failed. Not even the light bulbs. Luck or good preparation, you choose. Not being a mechanic by nature, I may have over prepared.

The west is daunting. Easy to feel small and lost. Huge mileage, spare and remote areas with little support in an emergency off the beaten path. Risky? To some extent yes. Worth it in terms of scenery and quality of riding ? YES! Ten thousand times. The Rockies are simply beyond description. Every day I woke up to views that were breath taking and humbling. Cold was a constant companion. If you ride at altitude, you'll need warm gear even in summer. The heated vest was well worth the cost.  But this is where the world is at your feet, often above the clouds. The tops of the mountains islands in the sea of pure white. The views beyond what can imagine day after day, mile after mile. As for places to stay. There is something in near every town you will encounter in a days ride. You won't sleep outside or starve. Free of camping gear and luggage makes the ride at least to me more enjoyable. But going light does mean you need to plan much more carefully. People carry far too much gear. 70 pounds of tools is too darn much. Sort out your tool kit to actually what you will need. I had a spare clutch cable. My cables were lubed and in perfect condition before I left. The spare never came out of the bag. Only spare used was a spark plug that I changed, but did not need to. Take just what you need to get the maintenance jobs done and no more. If you trash a major component you won't fix it by the side of the road any way. No matter what you ride. Too much gear reflects fear and anxiety. And on the road it creates more keeping up with it.

If I offended anyone with my observations accept my apology. I have a single track mind. I want to ride. Anything other than that is extraneous. Routes do not matter as much as riding. If you want to know how I got from one place to another, take out your atlas. Find the spine of the Rocky Mountains in each state. Now, look for thin blue lines on the western slope going north. There are not that many. Look for the state routes or red lines that supplement the blue lines. That's all there is to it. Pay no attention to the Interstates. The joy of not knowing what is around the next turn if smoked would be some high.

Last,  trust your Enfield. The UCE is a really great engine. Get to know it as I know RE. Talk to it, make it your best friend. And treat it as a best friend.  I am no mystic. I am a realist. The Indians taught me if you want to go the distance know the bike and treat it well. That I have done that and it has. Across America and the length of the Rockies. Damn good machine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:52:28 pm by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 01:25:32 am
We are in Canada. We will eat, sleep and go our separate ways. I am off to Coeur d' Alene for a pickup and they to Vancouver via Canadian roads.  Mission accomplished. RE is very content. Now to plan the fall trip.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:50 am
Congratulations and many thanks for the great write-up's about your adventure. :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 06:36:56 am
Professor

Thank you for posting this.  You are an inspiration. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 06:38:56 pm
We are getting the fall trip sorted out as I am leaving for two months of contract work.  We will do the eastern US as the weather should be clear and the fall just starting. Mid Sept to Mid Oct. We will start in in New Orleans, go north west via MS, AL and GA to NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway, ride it to Front Royal VA. Then to PA, NY, VT, NH and on to Ft. Kent Maine, go west circle the Great Lakes. Take the great River Road south to TN, go east to Natchez Trace, ride it south and west back to the Mississippi River and on to New Orleans. We will spend a few days in the MS Delta at Clarksdale, Indianola and Helena. No freeways ever, all back roads.

RE will get a ride from the Monterrey to Moro Bay and back on US 101 once I return for a week end session. He will have his new parts and be in prime condition. He did not need new sprockets, just a chain and new tires and tubes. Everything else is OK. I did the swing arm bushing as "I know it will fail sooner or later" thing. All fluids were changed as well.