Author Topic: If a Vespa can why can't I?  (Read 12053 times)

Professor

• Bulleteer
on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:56 am
http://vespa-vagabond.blogspot.com/

I thought; if this guy can do it on a Vespa, (and many times over) then why not my RE. He has 273cc in his GTS300. I know the build  quality may be different. I've heard that. But the RE is built strong for the third world. Last year they sold 305,000 bikes. Not new to the game.
If the Vespa can, so can I and I did. The RE can do it as well and did. I talked to maybe ten to twelve experienced riders in India and found they had no hesitation when it comes to trusting their UCE REs to run the length of their country. Just keep the speed down was the only caveat. Not too hard in India. Or so I'm told.

But here in the US, I felt like I was crazy at times. Especially when I ran into BMW riders. Boy are they arrogant about their choice of bikes.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:39:11 pm by Professor »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:21 am
Still waiting for a more detailed write-up... get cracking!!!

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:42 pm
professor who are you! i salute you for doing it. beautiful road, kind of almost 'made' for enfield. i have to find time for that too. i'm a big fan of big rides, rides that prove the enfield capabilities. and mattsz always sees a good ride report and is one of the first people to comment :) he is the same kind of enfielder. he goes for a ride, not just to work, takes photos… my kind of guy. actually, mattsz, any trips ready for this season?

i'm preparing blog for my enfield riding, i want to show so much that enfield can DO this. yes has less HP than the toy motorcycles from walmart. so what. the vespa thing was a perfect comparison. not that 'enfield is like vespa' but - ANYTHING you choose, you can do it with. it's not about the size of the engine, but about the size of your b… well. it's about the size of your travel spirit, to put it mildly. this weekend we went ride with buddy (he has a triumph) and everywhere we stop, people talk about my bike. he has such a beatufiul cafe racer black pimped up triumph and… it's like invisible :D they want to talk about enfield. on the way back from woodstock, we stopped at a gas station and met some big group of 'power riders'. dudes on hayabusas and similar monsters… half of them came to me and said 'what a cool bike'. it's a magnet! but i do see the looks at first :) there are smiles, grins sometimes. remember that big time when i stopped  smewhere on the way in canada in a harley store. but when they saw that my plate is from NY they stopped laughing. then i laughed. and the beemers are special breed. i rather prove that i crossed america on vespa than on 1200 beemer with a shower and nail clipper installed. because i want adventure. they want.. probably comfort. it's everybodys choice. i just dont undestand that they all look like from a cookie cutter. astronaut space suits with big ass helmets, huge astronaut boots on big ass bikes. if such dude stops in india on a bike in some remote village and i'm local village boy - i think i would sh.t myself. looks crazy! i'm one of the 'open face helmet' guy, i know, i know… but it fits the style. i want everybody to see that grin on my face when i ride, and smile when i park the bike. i want to talk, i love to tell stories, hear stories, i want to be approachable. just some some old boots, jeans, leather jacket. i want to look like a rider, not like a test pilot. but we are all on the same boat, we want to ride our machines that we chose for our own reasons. at the end the road connects us. but i do agree, sometimes there are some 'less connectible'  riders :) but screw them. i'm a fun guy, on amazing bike, if you think you are more than me because your bike has 800 million more cc's - who cares.

so professor - as mattsz said - share more please! :)
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:36 am
professor who are you! i salute you for doing it. beautiful road, kind of almost 'made' for enfield. i have to find time for that too. i'm a big fan of big rides, rides that prove the enfield capabilities. and mattsz always sees a good ride report and is one of the first people to comment :) he is the same kind of enfielder. he goes for a ride, not just to work, takes photos… my kind of guy. actually, mattsz, any trips ready for this season?

Well, shucks!  ;)

Was planning a 300 mile (each way) trip near Montreal for a music festival at the end of June - clothing, camping gear and a hurdy-gurdy strapped to the bike!  But I don't think the bike's gonna be up to it by then... we'll see.

Hopefully the Professor will oblige us!

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:01 am
Never thought anyone read or paid much attention to this site. I will be on the road from Santa Fe, NM to Canadian border. All back roads! I will tell you pretty much what I took along and the route over the next week or so as I progress.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:29:47 am
i will religiously follow your posts, professor :)
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:45 am
Never thought anyone read or paid much attention to this site. I will be on the road from Santa Fe, NM to Canadian border. All back roads! I will tell you pretty much what I took along and the route over the next week or so as I progress.

Only a couple of us have replied, but as I write this, there have been 81 views of your thread in the six days since you posted.  People are interested...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:03:42 am
As I go through this next trip, one thing is for sure. The ride only works if you prepare. REs need to be sorted out before you take the plunge. The Indians told me to go over the bike and make sure everything was tight and in place. They were right. They ride from the border of Bangladesh (hot and wet) to the border with Pakistan (very high, cold and dry). Long, long trip. Rough roads. The bike does not need to be re engineered or rebuild, just sorted. Bolts tight, cables lubed and adjusted, wheels aligned and straight, spokes tight, tires serviceable for the distance, slime them if you choose, chain serviceable and adjusted, oil changed, spark plug gaped and tighten to spec in the head, air filter checked and battery checked (replaced) with new leads. Straighten out any wiring issues. I made sure there were no adverse rubbing or chafing going on. I looked inside the headlight housing, under the seat, took the tank off and rinsed it out. Black chips came out from the factory tank liner. Cycle Gear sells a metric tool kit ($30.0 on sale) that has pretty much 95% of all you need. Bit heavy, but in a compact roll. Add the breaker and socket for the rear axle and you have it. Do all of this before you leave, not at the next motel. Locite is your friend. But honestly, I used only a small amount. Exhaust header once tight and a sealer put on the nut has stayed fixed. Never blued.

Chain lube works on a warm chain best, wiped down and let it sit over night. Not much is slung off with Chain Wax brand. At the end of the day that was my first chore.

One bag for the bike, one for me. I took very few clothes. Rode in jeans (three pair, washed only once on the road), with boots, armored jacket, gloves and open face helmet with shield. Carried a rain suit. Wore Aerostich padded underwear. Had two pair. A Godsend.
Off the bike I wore nylon hiking pants, sneakers,  Nike T-shirt (dry fast design) and light nylon windbreaker. All easy to wash (Bonners soap) and dry quickly and rolls in to a very tight package, taking virtually no room. Dinner in decent restaurants and felt presentable.

IPhone, Samsung Android (Kindle books) and GPS were my entertainment. Both the phone and Android have maps but the Garmin was mounted on the bar from previous trips so I kept it. Set up a battery hookup to keep it charged.

I bought maps of the route from the Lincoln Highway Association. The Garmin GPS saved me several times as the Lincoln Highway disappeared under some Interstate or inside some town. I never rode one interstate mile unless there were no option. I always found a back road. Same with Santa Fe to Canada. No freeways!!

I am no mechanic and have no desire to be one. I respect what they do and pay them when they do it. I know enough to maintain the bike. Not do a rebuild. This in mind I signed up for the AAA Premium  RV/Motorcycle road side service card. If it breaks they can tow it to a dealer. If they can't fix it, I'll rent a truck and take it to one who can. But, I prepare well before I leave, so this might happen, but is much less likely. So far nothing to speak of.

My desire was to travel light and without bother. To enjoy the trip, not ride a pack mule. Two saddle bags and a small tank bag  were enough.

Last, the Indians told me. "Take it easy. The bike will do it, but keep your speed down." I never went much over 60MPH. On the back roads there was no need to. I ran the highest octane gas I could find for one reason, the guys at Cycle World told me it has a detergent effect over lesser octane and the engine would not build up deposits as fast. I assume that is the truth. I had not one problem with gas. I will post a good book on cross country routes as soon as I find it on Amazon.

Wow, what nice bike, did you restore it? What year is it? Thought it was an old Triumph when you passed. You rode it from where????? No need to search for a topic over dinner. Must say the BMW guys (some) thought it was pure stupid. "Not very efficient",  was the one I recall. Overall people were most pleasant.
The Book is:  Lonely Planet USA's Best Cross-Country Road Trips: 7 Trips.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:42:48 pm by Professor »

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:39:25 pm
aaah professor, the 'two pannier bags and one small tank bag' sounds so good… i allow me to attach here photo of me :D the second you plan on camping it's no end to bags and things. but i think i'm still packed less than lot of our indian counterparts doing trips in the himalayas. post some photos too
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:22:17 pm
Pretty tight package. You being in India I fully understand camping gear. Pack and unpack, set up, take down, extra weight, more time. Camping has its issues. You surely had a great trip. Good for you!

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:06:34 am
nono, didn't ride in india. rode in nepal, but not this packed. that was like 'vacation riding' then. it's here when i pack like crazy to camp. it's exactly that - pack, unpack, where did i put it? this bag? nono, the other bag :) i just meant that i think on these photos i was packed more than you, based on your description. but was saying that i think it's still nothing compared to the dudes in india fully packed
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:46:31 pm
Got it. Makes sense. I carry very little. Nothing that is not absolutely necessary. Much like super light backpacking. Actually the bike tools are the heavy part. Everything else is light and tight.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:02 pm
The Rockies are still cool to cold in the morning. The back roads are near empty as the vacation season is still starting. Camp grounds are opening along with the small Bed and Breakfast Inns. Late PM showers. So glad I brought the vest and heavier gloves. RE just hums along at 55 and goes to sleep with hardly a sound at 50 mph. Exhaust note drops to a very gentle rumble. It feels like it will go on forever, no stress, no strain. Wonderful. Magic! The EFI has managed every high pass so far without a hiccup. I think the darn bike feels at home in the mountains.  It is genetic. Himalaya gene I sure. On to Jaipur! Not sure what the gas mileage is or even care. Fill up when there is gas and my butt says stop. This bike will run on anything from 87 to 91 plus and never complain. But, I am not spending much on gas.

I told a fellow at a gas stop it was a 2013 when he asked, and he said, "yeah right". Oh, well. Not too many bikes in the mountains as it is a bit early. Try to stay with my goal of 150 miles AM, 150 PM. Well, try is the word. Too much scenery and honestly, way too many curvy roads. I rode one six mile stretch three times!! Stock Avon tires are excellent. Enough grip and wear well. Rear is showing signs of wear. Nothing has broken or fallen off. Met a SAR unit at a coffee stop in northern Colorado. They has just pulled a big KTM adventure bike out of the mountains in a remote area. The rider slipped off a narrow road, slid down a steep bank, his bike tipped over fully loaded. He could not pick it up or ride it out and had to call for help. Not that unusual or so I was told by the local SO. The area is remote. Snow still on the peaks. Snow melt on the roads. If the RE falls over, I think I'm OK.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 01:01:21 am
I can tell your having fun. :)

I can identify with the 150/150 mile goals but saying to hell with it and just riding whatever distance feels good at the moment is the best plan.
It might turn out that you go 200/45 or 50/100 if the riding conditions and the scenery justify it.

Just go with the flow and soak up all those future memories. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 03:11:02 am
This is a trip I want to take too.  I read an article a couple of years ago of two friends riding coast to coast on a pair of Honda 305 Super Hawks.  Started with the rear tires in the Pacific and stopped with the front tires in the Atlantic.  I would love to see some photos.  Take lots of them....

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 07:05:48 am
Made it to Wyoming, Wind River mountains. Cold in the evening. Cold in the morning. Best riding is midday. I met a guy with a heavy beard, nasty cycling shorts and a bicycle so loaded with equipment it appeared to be standing still as he pedaled. We stopped to talk at a gas stop. He is traveling south to Mexico. Never told me why. Over a coffee he asked me what at the time seemed a weird question, then on reflection it was not so weird. He asked: "are you critiquing life or living life?" I think he meant are you sitting on the sideline commenting and watching or are you fully engaged living it? I told him "I hoped I was living it."

Does it matter which muffler, air cleaner, light setup, oil brand or hand grips I have in or on the RE. Yes, to some extent it does. It is after all mechanical in nature. But in the long run, once it is sorted, fits you out and running well, stop talking about it and ride it. Stop comparing it to your neighbor's bike.  You must ride the darn thing and then you ride it some more. And when you do for days on end, you will discover that it has a soul and a personality. Some things it loves to do and will do them well, other things are asking too much. And it tells you so. And will protest. The RE won't be hurried. It has a pace at which it is most happy and if you allow it to run there it will reward you with a magical experience of flying close to the earth, with nothing but the wind. Everything else disappears. There is a soft mechanical presence that says, "I'm here and here is where I am most happy and I can take you anywhere." Ask it to do more and it will loudly protest by bellowing, shuddering and thrashing around. Telling you, "I 'll do this, but I won't do it forever. Enough." Let it tell you where it is most content and in that zen moment you and the RE are one. This is what long, long rides create, a unity of bike and rider. Two interconnected souls. I feed the machine and care for it, it does the same for me. Think I'm loosing it? Talk to Indian owners about their REs.  Darn right the Indians get it. They let the beast speak to them. They talk about the souls of their REs. But, you won't find it on 50 mile ride once a week. You have to get out on the open road, let go of your fears,  and let it unwind as it was meant to. And it will teach you thing or two about travel. It will teach you that essential thesis of travel. It is not the destination that matters, but the trip. The times you were in that bubble of full fluid motion is what you will remember. Not where you were going.  That heady feeling of freedom, not to be earth bound as my poor friend on his over loaded bicycle grinding out every foot of forward motion. (And yes I do ride bicycles, just not with 120 lbs of gear.)

The back roads are where the RE is at home. At 50 MPH I traveled for hours on twisting mountain roads never feeling that I was missing anything or late for anything or going anywhere. I was simply in the moment. Nothing else mattered. A few burst of 60-65 mph got me through places of lesser interest. Just enough. No need to go faster. On occasion the few farm tractors who shared the back roads, and side roads and who surely own them in this part of the world, made me glad that the RE was happy just where it was. Fast enough.  No tractor kissing today!  I love the RE not for what it is as much as for what it is not. It is not overly complex, heavy, nor complicated. It is sturdy and ask not much more of you than to be respected and ridden. It has no pretensions, images to maintain or posing required. It is an elemental motorcycle. It does not say, I'm a (wanna be) bad ass, I'm super fast, I'm wealthy or I'm on a trip around the world (probably not) or anything else. It says simply saying; I'm riding. What else matters in a world of pretensions and bad reality TV. I make no apologies for my RE. Damn right I rode it here and it's a damn good bike. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:47:19 am by Professor »

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 01:26:32 pm
Professor,

Great write-up and reporting of your ride. You are a very fine Moto Journalist.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 05:26:27 pm
I agree - keep it coming, Professor!!

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:08 pm
Today is bright and cold in the AM. But the wind is an issue. Tail winds are a rare delight, but the darn cross winds ripping the plains are just nasty. Keeps you on your game. At breakfast I met two, of all things, scooter riders from St Petersburg, Florida.  One was on a Piaggio BV 350 and his companion a Vespa GTS 300 ie.  They are on their way to Vancouver AND return. Hardcore these two. Both had read the Vespa Vagabond among many others who are long scooter distance riders (bloggers) and were inspired to ride.  Today I have company. The RE will have someone else to talk to. About time.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 08:01:57 pm
nice! preach professor preach! :D enfield truths. we nickname you preacher soon. all truth, amen to words you said. i agree heart fully. when i ride the longer rides - it takes me a day or two to adjust. it takes one to 'leave' the schedule behind. you feel 'you must' get somewhere, because you planned it. it takes one to start to realize - you ride to everywhere and nowhere and the only 'sure' thing is kind of the direction. when is random. where is often random. and when i sit on the bike sometimes, and get little angry or annoyed - 'why am i still not there', i realize - I AM there! i'm EXACTLY where i want to be. i'm ON the bike. riding. that moment, that seat i sit on IS the wish come true. that is the goal. the destination is really just a break from the only thing i wanted to do - to ride. i so agree with the 50 miles commute. you cannot get it. too short. maybe 200 miles are not enough. maybe 2 days minimum, that's when the road starts to let you glimpse what that bike has to offer. the soul :) i'm packing as we speak, don't know where to go tho. south? west? i'm keeping north for august/sept. i'm thinking to maybe try the lincoln highway for 2-3 days just to get the feel of it. then turn south for 2-3 days and go back up for 2-3 days. got me small tent, will pack light, take camera, 2 lenses, gopro, few socks, few tshirts and done. im done with the big packing.
have fun with the scooter guys. i always wished to find a buddy going same way as me and connect for few miles, or hours. but that never happened. like if the road wants me to ride alone. and think
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 08:05:32 pm
I am inspired!!! I see the light!!! Thank you. This is one great day!!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:41 am
I've never ridden to a destination further than one day's ride away - an all-day-ride, yes, with scenic and enjoyable stops along the way, but I always reached my destination on the same day.  The whole ride out was enjoyable and had an air of excitement about it, heading forward somewhere.  The ride back home, from start to finish, was always tinged with a touch of disappointment - the same long ride, perhaps, but always returning to work and routine.

Clearly, it's a state of mind I have to work on...

Please keep 'em coming, Prof...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:17 pm
Life is a bank account. There is a fixed sum. You can never put more into it. It can be closed at any time with out your permission. Each day you take out a small amount of cash. And then you buy a ticket. Will you buy a ticket to watch and critique? Or will you buy a ticket to play?  Today and every day this week I bought a ticket to play. I am in the game. 

This is big country. The sky dominates everything. It is endless from the top of the peaks we stand on to the curvature of the earth on the far horizon. And despite the few ranches that dot the sparse landscape, it is silent and quite empty. Devoid of any human sound. The wind blows constantly.   Always rushing unimpeded across the stark plains. Brown, tan and pale green are the pallet. Only in the higher mountains are the deeper greens found. Here and there are narrow ribbons of green as a small stream meander across the brown grass plains. Cell phones are useless. Ranches seem to all have some kind of dish. It matters little. In winter I wonder what it must be like to have a blizzard drop deep snow and then be locked into your ranch house for weeks on end. I wonder how relationships fare out here. We are quite alone here.

I am in the company of Tom and Art. Tom is a retired Coast Guard Petty Officer from St Petersburg Florida. Art also from St Pete is a marine biologist and Navy reservist. He is by profession is a diver. They met in Iraq. Both decided to see Europe after the horrid nightmare of duty in Iraq and bought scooters. They spent three months touring Europe and the Balkans. So, they know a thing or two about riding.  Tom rides a Vespa GTS 300 ie, Art has a Piaggio BV 350. Both are state of the art designs. Single cylinder SOHC, liquid cooled, multi valve heads (more than two),counterbalanced, EFI  and rock solid reliable. Cycle World commented of the BV as one of the most innovative and capable power plants assigned to motivate two wheels. I believe it. The GTS is almost a mirror of RE in terms of power delivery ie; torque and horsepower . The BV not so. It has 35 HP and will rip to 100mph, accelerate with smaller bikes and cruise all day at 75mph. Both are immensely popular in Europe. The BV being the second "car" in many households. Both can do long distances with ease. I noticed both riders were using Air Hawk seat covers. And both carry spare fuel in red plastic fuel cans. I have neither. But the Air Hawk looks enticing.

Toms tires have a fine chicken strip. Art's BV has no such thing they are shredded all the way to the edge. I mean litterly shredded, little worms of rubber on the tire shredded.  The more we are together the more I understand why . Highly skilled as a rider he has no fear I can discern. Tom is quite the opposite. He rides the GTS very capably, but clearly maintains a margin. Needless to say Art is well ahead of us most of the time. I never ever thought a scooter could maintain those lean angles. And he is flat footed on the floor boards......amazing!

When we started they asked me at Breakfast, where are you headed? I told then to Canada. Which route? Now this is where I depart from the mass. I told both, "I have no route, I just ride. But the route I take will be most likely the longest. It will be full of turns and elevation, and most of all be the most scenic. I am in no rush". They looked at each other and smiled. Art said, "I think we will take that way too."  I also mentioned, "ride as fast or as slow as you please, I plan to ride my own ride".  Another smile as Tom responded "good for us. Art is always doing his own thing anyway."

It has been two days now and we have established a bond. We have swapped bikes and each had a turn at the others. Art told me that RE felt flying a WWI Biplane. RE heard it and was most pleased. Visions of the Red Baron (Manfred Von Richtoffen) I think he wants me to don a silk scarf. RE sees himself as quite dashing and dapper. British genes.
We roll across the dips, valleys and peaks with RE making our presence known. The scooters are virtually silent. Riding one is eerie, so very, very light, no vibration.........just wind. Roads are near empty.

Motorcycling is uniquely personal and private. Locked in your helmet on your bike and secured form any one else you must at some point decide if you do indeed like yourself. You are talking to yourself enough. Do you enjoy the company? I don't use blue tooth and besides,  out here it does not work. Music, sometimes, but it mask the REs lovely mechanical presence. No, inside the helmet I dream, ponder, build, execute, tear down, rebuild, solve, resolve and some times pray.
I renew the acquaintance of the person I hope knows me the best and is most willing to get me through the tough times and celebrate the victories, when no one else is willing nor cares. I treasure the time we spend together.

I asked Tom when you meet people what do they ask you? For me it is what year is your RE? Enough!!! Tom said, basically it is "aren't you afraid that those things (scooters) wont make it to wherever? I was trained to rescue people at sea under the absolutely worst possible conditions. I know the value of preparation. My equipment is in top shape. Art's BV is as well. He's a diver after all. We prep for the trips.  But underneath it people are afraid to get out of their bubble."

Read the Vespa forum, there are many, many  trip reports. Some amazing rides. Not so on the RE Forum. RE riders I think fear their bikes. This fear creates anxiety. They talk about a 100 mile ride as though it were an epic evident fraught with danger.  Will it break, will I be stranded? One owner even suggested taking the bike apart and re-welding the welds. What???? When I talked to the Indians they had no such concerns. They save for years to buy one and then ride the darn things every where. It is considered a premium brand in India. It is their vacation vehicle and often sole source of transport. Certainly they buy other brands as well. But all are justly proud RE is a home product. In US special warfare students are taught fear is healthy and keeps us alive. But anxiety, the fear of fear paralyzes us. You can push through fear, not anxiety. So, you get to the root of the fear. What happens if it breaks. Well the world does not end and you don't die. You prepare for the root fear. In a nutshell ride a well maintained bike, prepare for those events you can manage and have an escape(AAA Premium Card) for those you cant. We need not fear RE bikes. No one else does.

We were coming out of the mountains down a moderate grade. At the bottom is a steep sharp left hand turn, and it actually gets steeper as you ride into it. Not the place to enter with a lot of speed. Unless of course you know the road. We do not.  Just past mid point is silver HD Fat Boy on it's side against the guard rail, with camping gear strung behind the bike. The rider is limping over to pick up his gear, while his passenger is pacing I assume attempting to place a phone call. The cell is jammed into her ear. Both seem to be OK. The gouge marks in the road tells the story. The Fat boy was leaned over so far it grounded and lifted the rear wheel of the ground. The bike slid into the guard rail, dumped both rider and passenger and continued with enough impact to shatter the primary cover, dumping it's oil. No amount of counter steering would have save it.  We lift our face shields and ease by as a pick up has stopped to help and has waved us on. RE made a comment to the GTS something like, "fat boys can't turn."  RE what did you say? The GTS just giggled. I looked at Tom, he just shrugged as if to say , "what are you going to do with these two?" RE has never been one to be politically correct. He told a German at the last gas stop to loose some weight.

On to Jackson and oil and filter changes and a bit of sorting. I will miss the scooters once we part. RE keeps saying, Bella Moto! I think he likes the GT. The BV is always out front and pays little attention to him.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:53:04 pm by Professor »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 10:36:47 pm
Made it to Wyoming, Wind River mountains. Cold in the evening. Cold in the morning. Best riding is midday. I met a guy with a heavy beard, nasty cycling shorts and a bicycle so loaded with equipment it appeared to be standing still as he pedaled. We stopped to talk at a gas stop. He is traveling south to Mexico. Never told me why. Over a coffee he asked me what at the time seemed a weird question, then on reflection it was not so weird. He asked: "are you critiquing life or living life?" I think he meant are you sitting on the sideline commenting and watching or are you fully engaged living it? I told him "I hoped I was living it."

Does it matter which muffler, air cleaner, light setup, oil brand or hand grips I have in or on the RE. Yes, to some extent it does. It is after all mechanical in nature. But in the long run, once it is sorted, fits you out and running well, stop talking about it and ride it. Stop comparing it to your neighbor's bike.  You must ride the darn thing and then you ride it some more. And when you do for days on end, you will discover that it has a soul and a personality. Some things it loves to do and will do them well, other things are asking too much. And it tells you so. And will protest. The RE won't be hurried. It has a pace at which it is most happy and if you allow it to run there it will reward you with a magical experience of flying close to the earth, with nothing but the wind. Everything else disappears. There is a soft mechanical presence that says, "I'm here and here is where I am most happy and I can take you anywhere." Ask it to do more and it will loudly protest by bellowing, shuddering and thrashing around. Telling you, "I 'll do this, but I won't do it forever. Enough." Let it tell you where it is most content and in that zen moment you and the RE are one. This is what long, long rides create, a unity of bike and rider. Two interconnected souls. I feed the machine and care for it, it does the same for me. Think I'm loosing it? Talk to Indian owners about their REs.  Darn right the Indians get it. They let the beast speak to them. They talk about the souls of their REs. But, you won't find it on 50 mile ride once a week. You have to get out on the open road, let go of your fears,  and let it unwind as it was meant to. And it will teach you thing or two about travel. It will teach you that essential thesis of travel. It is not the destination that matters, but the trip. The times you were in that bubble of full fluid motion is what you will remember. Not where you were going.  That heady feeling of freedom, not to be earth bound as my poor friend on his over loaded bicycle grinding out every foot of forward motion. (And yes I do ride bicycles, just not with 120 lbs of gear.)

The back roads are where the RE is at home. At 50 MPH I traveled for hours on twisting mountain roads never feeling that I was missing anything or late for anything or going anywhere. I was simply in the moment. Nothing else mattered. A few burst of 60-65 mph got me through places of lesser interest. Just enough. No need to go faster. On occasion the few farm tractors who shared the back roads, and side roads and who surely own them in this part of the world, made me glad that the RE was happy just where it was. Fast enough.  No tractor kissing today!  I love the RE not for what it is as much as for what it is not. It is not overly complex, heavy, nor complicated. It is sturdy and ask not much more of you than to be respected and ridden. It has no pretensions, images to maintain or posing required. It is an elemental motorcycle. It does not say, I'm a (wanna be) bad ass, I'm super fast, I'm wealthy or I'm on a trip around the world (probably not) or anything else. It says simply saying; I'm riding. What else matters in a world of pretensions and bad reality TV. I make no apologies for my RE. Damn right I rode it here and it's a damn good bike.

+1 Great write up. More of us are reading your write up and enjoying your trip :).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 05:09:29 am
Rain, cold and wind. Horrid combination on a naked bike. We were caught out in the open highway when it hit. I put the rain suit on in a 20 mph wind. The scooters fared pretty well as they have some protection. RE simply plunges forward buck naked and unafraid. We rode for two hours before it final abated. By then it was late and any place dry was a great place to be. And so we are.  The good part is that the highway was near empty with little traffic. The surface while wet was never slippery. The Avon tires were just fine at the speed I was running. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry. Wiping the face shield was tiring. You end up almost riding by feel. And no matter how well designed the rain suits are, water always get in somehow.  The Sidi boots worked perfect.

Before I left I was in the gym three days a week for several months. It has made a difference. Riding an naked bike even at the lower speeds RE likes requires some stamina after a few days. I am hoping every thing electrical is still dry by morning. We parked them in a covered area......but????

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 10:40:54 am
I am hoping every thing electrical is still dry by morning. We parked them in a covered area......but????

Sending dry humor your way, Professor...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 07:06:46 pm
Sunny and warm. The rain literally soaked every thing in term of clothing we were wearing after two hours. I put liners in the leather saddle bags and they worked to perfection. Nice and dry. We are now dry and on our way to Jackson and beyond. I adjusted the chain and lubed it well. At altitude it is not quite summer. In the flats warm and really nice. RE was not quite his usual sunny self when I came out. He started up and sputtered a bit for about five minutes. I told him that a bath and a wax, as well a full sorting would be waiting in Jackson and he settled in to his mile eating lope. And he will indeed get it. I refuse to ride dirty motorcycle. It is not a patina of use and miles. To me simple neglect. Honor the bike, it honors you. This is my lifeline to the world I left behind and I will attend to it. RE does not ask for much.  I notice both Tom and Art check everything quickly in the AM as well. A pre-flight of sorts.The hours and hours I spent sorting before I left the bike have paid off. However, I wish I had thought of a small can of compressed air to give the switches a good burst after the rain. Clear skies, warm sun, empty roads and a well sorted single cylinder machine.......is this heaven?????

I once again listen to the easy lope of the engine as RE settles into his gait. He is indeed a happy fellow. He is truly in his element.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 03:16:05 am
The adventure has a few more days. Some of the best riding in north America is yet to come. Yellowstone, Glacier Park and the Canadian parks are on the horizon. In the east you feel claustrophobic, with the terrain closing in on you. Out here you get lost. You feel so very small. We feel like ants crawling on a beach ball the size of Vermont. 50, 70, 100mph or more, there is no sensation of speed. One thing is for dead certain you won't walk anywhere, or any time soon. Remote with a capital "R".  The highway rolls beneath you, yet the horizon never gets closer. There is no reference point for speed.  Tomorrow is a busy day. Tom and Art will sight see. I will cater to RE. The scooters are on 6000mi oil change schedules. RE is on 2000mi.  So far, RE has used no oil at all, nor leaked any. Very tidy chap. I am making a list of things RE will get once home. Chain, sprockets, steel front brake line, tires, new fork oil and a new swing arm bushing so far. Pretty good for the trips he has taken.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 05:40:53 pm
Read All the Gear No Idea by Michele Harrison. Amazon Kindle edition is dirt cheap. (There a many Enfield adventure books.)  If you think your Enfield is not for riding. And her 500 is not even a UCE. Touring in the US is so easy. Good to great places to eat, clean places to stay, repair shops, hardware stores, wholesome food, clean water, good roads, great scenery, no routine terrorism, laundry facilities, common language, tow trucks, decent health care and honest law enforcement (for the most part). What are you waiting for?

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 08:02:03 pm
Re has been washed, waxed (Original Bike Spirits spray on wax) and sits glowing. Chain lubed, rear brake adjusted, clutch adjusted, oil and filter changed, all nut and bolts checked, wiring checked, tires checked, new spark plug, switches opened and checked for moisture. Nothing out of place. RE sounds like the new bike he is. 

There are two west. One old the other new. Taos NM is the old. A ski town that is still old west. Ride your horse into town, tie up and have dinner, ride home. No pretentions. No plastic, not too much glamour. A bit threadbare. Two ways into town from Santa Fe the home of 5000 art galleries. Santa Fe is the third largest art market in the world behind New York and Los Angles. Impressive for such a small town. On to Taos. The direct and somewhat scenic low road and the ultra scenic motorcycle magnum high road. Takes longer as it ambles through small villages and National Forest, but it is so worth it. Do it!! A major event. No major chain stores to speak of.

Then you have Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Aspen, Steamboat Springs and others of the ilk, that are to me god awful. Pretentious, plastic and very expensive. In ski season the local air port is wall to wall with private jets.The locals wanted the money, now they can't afford to live there. Billion dollar restate deals. If you can get there with ease I won't go. The west I seek is the old west, what there is of it now. Back roads well way from tourist destinations. State routes, the blue lines on the map. I'm in the same frame of mind as William Least Heat Moon. His class Blue Highways is still on my book shelf. Given me the remote, curvy mountain state and local routes. I've been know to ride county roads as well. I am asked, what route did you take? I say don't know. (Don't care) I only pay attention to direction, not route. The small towns with mom and pop stores and cafes, the single gas pumps at country stores suits me perfectly. I could have ridden from Santa Fe to Canada in three days on near any bike other than RE. Taken a direct route and been there. I've been riding over a week and am still not there. Would I do it any other way? NEVER!! The little burgs are just dots that connect the endless two lanes I cherish. I am here to RIDE, not travel, not rush, not "get there". I've been exposed to people and sights the traveler will never experience. In the farming and ranching areas I smell life being lived. New cut hay is ambrosia. The joy is building your own ride.
On to Yellowstone Park. This caldera sits on a magma chamber five times the size of the Grand Canyon. It literally is a volcano. Geologist say it is bulging or rising as local lakes are tilting as the chamber expands. 60,000 years ago it dumped three feet of ash over all of the mid continent,  the plains states of today. A LTE for certain. Apothos (rouge asteroid), EMP, Gram Positive untreatable bacteria (rates double yearly in the US), middle east unrest and all of the other uncertainties of cosmic dimension in life make RE getting ill seem like ever so insignificant.  There is enough of it to create terminal anxiety and paranoia. RE stalling is not an LTE. The stories I've read of the extended trips in India make this look like a Sunday outing. So thankful for thankful for the UCE!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:14 pm
They're a joy when they're working well...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 09:57:40 pm
So very thankful for the UCE. What is the most over used word in the English language? I'd vote for "Awesome". Awesome girl friends to awesome cookies. Here in this corner of Wyoming it can be applied with confidence that it is not over used, yet not quite adequate. The sky is so blue that it defies any description of blue. And so crystal clear that mountain ranges a hundred miles away look only a short jog. The pools of volcanic super heated water, geysers, buffalo, elk and the majesty of the Tetons (Breast of the Earth) make this mind dumbing. Sensory overload. Every shade, very hue of color is here in the water and on the ground  Stunning, beautiful, incredible, majestic, wonderful, awesome or what ever your vocabulary allows. Nothing does it justice. We are here before the mad rush of July and August. Tom and Art are dumb struck. You can see it on TV or in a book, but nothing prepares you for this. The mountains still retain a cap of snow. No wonder the Sioux and Northern Cheyenne fought so hard to keep this part of their world. As I ride across the plains I wonder what it must have been like to be a Sioux warrior in the late 1700s with endless herds of buffalo and no intrusion of anyone. You were here and you were "the people". It must have be glorious.

RE agrees.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:15 am
On to Montana and BIG SKY. Tom asked me if RE needed more power? I asked him; "did we slow you down on the back roads we have been riding"? He replied, "no, we could not go much faster than we were". There is the answer. The roads were and are 50 mph roads. RE is in his element.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:30 am
Just at the end of the riding day we come up on a Honda trying to get his ancient Honda twin out of the road on to the shoulder. He and stopped and could not get the bike into neutral. Seeing him sweating and very frustrated, we stopped to help. I asked him if I could sit on his bike. He nodded a simple OK. Once On the bike I noticed the clutch lever had about an inch of free play. I adjusted the clutch for about 2mm of free play and it worked just fine. He marveled. It took all of two minutes.

I am no mechanic. Not even close. In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the author divides motorcyclist into two categories. Romantics who ride and all they care to do is ride. They care little of how a motorcycle actually works theory wise. Classics who want to know every bit of theory and how it all fits together in terms of theory and application of mechanical design. You need not apologize if you fit into one group or the other. Introvert or extrovert? No apology necessary. But you need to know. I am a Romantic. I'd rather ride than wrench any day. I do my routine maintenance out of necessity to ride. I won't rebuild any engine....ever!  One of my friends works on his bikes routinely in his world class shop, but rarely if ever rides much. He gets bored riding. He will find any excuse to fix something. He is pure Classic. He won't ride long distances....ever! Once you understand this and see it played out on this forum, you can see we are indeed individuals.  That is why Classics are always talking about swapping parts and modifications, while Romantics go riding on unmodified (or well sorted out bikes) and then leave them alone. Not right or wrong. Good or bad, just different. And this makes life work.

One of the top rated and most respected Iron Butt riders is notorious for hating to ever work on his bike. Only in an emergency. He does so well because of preparation before the ride.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:23:36 am by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 06:44:55 pm
I've downloaded on my Kindle every Enfield travel book I could find on Amazon. about a dozen. Most all center on the pre UCE bikes. We are heading into Montana and will continue to ride all back roads. All three of us are now addicted. We may venture in to Idaho if the roads are appealing. But always going north to north west. Weather is big deal here. It can get really cold in the AM and PM at altitude. And then there is rain to contend with. Cold rain. So, far the weather has been not been an issue. RE is running at his best. As the miles build up he looses up and feels more at ease at speed. Certainly shifts gears with ease. He tossed his baffle on the road. I turned around and found it. I replaced it and must say, he runs much better with a baffle. The acceleration is more crisp and sharp. He is a bit flat with out his baffle. And the noise is very annoying over time with out one. The baffle is just right. His header has yet to blue. So, however and who ever built him got it right. Perfect systematization of and parts and tuning. The EFI adjust to any altitude seamlessly. I rinsed out the K&N filter re-oiled it and reinstalled in Jackson. It was dirty. Trick is not to over oil the filter. I did not need to replaced the plug, but did any way. My NGK BP6ES spare was gaped, with a touch of anti-seize on the threads ready to go. The first plug was spot on in terms of color. The Stage One kit works just fine. Install and forget it. The only thing RE asked for was to have his idle dropped and bit after some break in miles. Two Canadians asked me how I liked my new Indian Enfield. Not what year is it?. I am impressed. But of course they were riding vintage Triumphs. Next to RE and I say this out of earshot, the feel of a vintage Triumph with a 360 degree crank is my favorite. New triumphs are great bikes. But a bit porky for my taste. The best of the old breed was the Thunderbird. Very reliable and a joy to ride. Once they bumped the compression and added two carbs and hotter cams, the twins were less reliable and more harsh to ride. All done I might add was in response to the American market's desire for more power. No different today.  RE lower state of tuning gives him the same feel as the old Bird. It flat works. This bike has gone and is going the distance. It has enough horsepower. Our average speed can't be over 45 mph given the endless twisting roads we choose. Could not go faster. Not a race. Who cares!!! Some days we make the 150/150. Most days we do not. Who cares!!! And oh yes, I will buy an Airhawk pad.  The Aerostich under ware has made it bearable so far. But the stock seat has it's limits.
The scenery continues to stun our senses as the mountains range way above us. The cold air from the peaks is so fresh and crisp it burns as we ride. Western Montana is Grizzly country. We were told not to leave any food at stops and to be watchful in the remote areas. The trick is going to be finding just the right roads that take us north, but are remote and fun to ride. Map time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:50:59 pm by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 10:06:45 pm
We are at a map stop.  Tom ask, do you really talk to that bike? Yes, I do. Its good karma. What do you say? I tell RE he is doing great and I appreciate all of his hard work. I tell him to stay with me as we are getting close to the end.

Stop over and route decided, at least this part of it until we feel lost again. Art, gets on BV and says, "come on girl we've along way to go. Hang in there, you're doing great."

YES, another convert.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:37 am
yaaay so much to read :D
just came back from 5 day riding, camping, hotel-ing, motel-ing. will write something about it too but first the adventures of professor to read
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 06:42:04 am
We are riding faster. I've noticed that there are now no chicken stripes on any of the tires. Art never had any. But Tom and I are all the way to the edge. We are taking turns faster and smoother. After half a million you get it. Three times today the time spent at Laguna in the  riding school rendered dividends. Went into turns too fast, off camber and damp from melt. Eyes ahead focused on where I wanted to go, touched the rear brake (trailing brake) to correct and counter steered, while never letting off the throttle or touching the front brake so as to not upset the suspension and stand the bike up. Weight on the inside foot peg.  Bike when through the turn using all of both tires. The Avons did just fine. RE acted as though nothing had happened.

I rode my bicycle everyday for fifteen to twenty miles and hit the weights t to four days each week hard for three months before this ride. I always work out. And I am in good shape, but wanted to take it to the next level. I am very, very tired. My companions are very fit. They are getting tired as well. Fitness plays a big role in a long ride We all agree on one thing, no heavy motorcycles. We are fixed on riding light bikes. I'd hate to muscle a 650 plus pound machine on these back roads. And a hundred pounds of luggage.  No wonder they stay on the freeways.

We are planning our September trip. This trip is a cross country trip. Both Tom and Art will ride new Ducati Scramblers. I will give RE a break and ride something else, but definitely from Europe and right about 400 lbs.

Tomorrow we are in Missoula, then to Kalispell and then to Glacier Park and on to Canada. Once in Canada we take a sharp left turn on to Vancouver. Our travel routes are very easy to follow. Look at your atlas, see the above cities, now find the fine blue lines going north. That's where we are. All back roads. Today we hit some hard packed dirt ranch  roads as short cuts without event. The mountains are never far away. The temperature is in the low 70s in the valleys, temp goes down with altitude as you would expect. Much of the riding is through green national forest. As stated the narrow valleys are both warm and scenic, but most of all have well maintained roads and wonderful people, friendly and best of all willing to show us unmerited hospitality. We are off the beaten path. The Florida tags on the scooters are killer. People are amazed. We are truly discovering America at the grass roots. William Least Heat Moon and Bill Bryson could do no better. The scooters have a limited range, so carry extra fuel. I do not. I simply fill up or top off at every opportunity. And usually it is time to stop anyway. I would guess the mileage to be around 50 to 60 mpg. Put it this way, the tank will outlast the seat. Problem; RE will run on any available octane. The scooters require premium. So, they carry it along. Not every remote gas station has premium. Both carry bottles of octane booster. No idea if it even works. RE doesn't know either. Problem; if the scooters have a flat, plug it and CO2 the tires for instant refill. Tubeless tires are a wonder, if the bead is not broken. RE has old fashioned tubes. No such luck. I filled his tires with green slime. I pray, yes pray it will work if it must. So far..........................

I was told to change the chain and tires before I left. Nonsense, the stock items are just fine. The stock "O" ring chain is well up to the task. Just lube it and keep it adjusted which is infrequent. Royal Enfield did well in their choice of these components.

We are planning our next cross country trip for Sept/Oct. Tom and Art will ride two new Ducati Scramblers. Version has not been decided. I will give RE a break and ride something European weighing abound 400 lbs. Again we will not camp, but travel light. Riding is the focus. Always about riding. And more riding.
All of us have jobs that we must get back to for the time being. My ride is about over, they are only half way there.

I asked Tom if in a hurricane when the weather was at it's worst on the seas and the pucker factor was at redline during a rescue, if he ever talked to his boat. Just a simple; "please get us home safely and stay afloat." He said,  "well, yes I suppose I have."  Point made. RE understands completely.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:45 pm
Hi Professor!
  Thanks for a truly enjoyable read.  ;D ;D Having previously ridden a good portion of your route, I heartily agree with your spot-on descriptions of the roads, mountains, and (since I'm a native Montanan) the people!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:48 pm
We will be in Missoula today. Go on past and further north if we can. I will not go to Vancouver but end my ride as I had planned on the border. I need to get on with other things as we all must at some point. RE will be trucked home. When I started I was alone. Now I have two very good like minded friends. Both told me that they are now addicted to back roads and exploring. It adds a bit of mystery to a trip and is always engaging. Funny the thing, what inspired the ride was a Vespa posting and now I end up riding with one. The scooters are simply top notch equipment. We met a Montana Vespa rider who rode to Alaska in 2011 a few days back.  The BV is fast, but the plastic body work leaves me cold. The Vespa while less power, is beautiful and classic. Much like RE.

I made my point, at least to my self. RE can go the distance. The Indians were right on. Just keep the speed down, let RE tell you where he is most happy and you'll do fine. Don't ask for more than he can give. But that is true of many things in life. "Know your limits", as Clint Eastwood once said in a movie. We will make it to the border of that I am certain. He does not want to give up now. Nor do I. But that is far enough for the time we have. After communicating with the Indians, I am sure I could go from one end of their country to the other and never pay for a room or a meal. They too have followed RE. Very kind and generous people. I am considering their offers. If you are resting you are rusting.

When US riders were worrying about the reliability of their bikes and sorting parts as Classics are prone to do, the Romantic Indians simply encouraged me to get on it and ride. In America the Enfield is a small bike. Not really fit for long rides. Everyone knows that. And they are not Japanese or European quality. Wonder what the rest of the world would say about that?  Matters little to be honest, either you will get on it and ride or you won't. You can find a multitude of reasons not too. I know of only one reason to actually do it, it makes me very happy and keeps me sane in a world of conflicts and stress. I am not foolish. I spent a lot of time preparing the bike. It is by nature a big single and vibrates at it's own rhythm and frequency. That which gives it character, also gives it the ability to shed it's nut and bolts. I lost none. I broke nothing. No parts failed. Not even the light bulbs. Luck or good preparation, you choose. Not being a mechanic by nature, I may have over prepared.

The west is daunting. Easy to feel small and lost. Huge mileage, spare and remote areas with little support in an emergency off the beaten path. Risky? To some extent yes. Worth it in terms of scenery and quality of riding ? YES! Ten thousand times. The Rockies are simply beyond description. Every day I woke up to views that were breath taking and humbling. Cold was a constant companion. If you ride at altitude, you'll need warm gear even in summer. The heated vest was well worth the cost.  But this is where the world is at your feet, often above the clouds. The tops of the mountains islands in the sea of pure white. The views beyond what can imagine day after day, mile after mile. As for places to stay. There is something in near every town you will encounter in a days ride. You won't sleep outside or starve. Free of camping gear and luggage makes the ride at least to me more enjoyable. But going light does mean you need to plan much more carefully. People carry far too much gear. 70 pounds of tools is too darn much. Sort out your tool kit to actually what you will need. I had a spare clutch cable. My cables were lubed and in perfect condition before I left. The spare never came out of the bag. Only spare used was a spark plug that I changed, but did not need to. Take just what you need to get the maintenance jobs done and no more. If you trash a major component you won't fix it by the side of the road any way. No matter what you ride. Too much gear reflects fear and anxiety. And on the road it creates more keeping up with it.

If I offended anyone with my observations accept my apology. I have a single track mind. I want to ride. Anything other than that is extraneous. Routes do not matter as much as riding. If you want to know how I got from one place to another, take out your atlas. Find the spine of the Rocky Mountains in each state. Now, look for thin blue lines on the western slope going north. There are not that many. Look for the state routes or red lines that supplement the blue lines. That's all there is to it. Pay no attention to the Interstates. The joy of not knowing what is around the next turn if smoked would be some high.

Last,  trust your Enfield. The UCE is a really great engine. Get to know it as I know RE. Talk to it, make it your best friend. And treat it as a best friend.  I am no mystic. I am a realist. The Indians taught me if you want to go the distance know the bike and treat it well. That I have done that and it has. Across America and the length of the Rockies. Damn good machine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:52:28 pm by Professor »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 01:25:32 am
We are in Canada. We will eat, sleep and go our separate ways. I am off to Coeur d' Alene for a pickup and they to Vancouver via Canadian roads.  Mission accomplished. RE is very content. Now to plan the fall trip.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:50 am
Congratulations and many thanks for the great write-up's about your adventure. :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 06:36:56 am
Professor

Thank you for posting this.  You are an inspiration. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 06:38:56 pm
We are getting the fall trip sorted out as I am leaving for two months of contract work.  We will do the eastern US as the weather should be clear and the fall just starting. Mid Sept to Mid Oct. We will start in in New Orleans, go north west via MS, AL and GA to NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway, ride it to Front Royal VA. Then to PA, NY, VT, NH and on to Ft. Kent Maine, go west circle the Great Lakes. Take the great River Road south to TN, go east to Natchez Trace, ride it south and west back to the Mississippi River and on to New Orleans. We will spend a few days in the MS Delta at Clarksdale, Indianola and Helena. No freeways ever, all back roads.

RE will get a ride from the Monterrey to Moro Bay and back on US 101 once I return for a week end session. He will have his new parts and be in prime condition. He did not need new sprockets, just a chain and new tires and tubes. Everything else is OK. I did the swing arm bushing as "I know it will fail sooner or later" thing. All fluids were changed as well.