Author Topic: If a Vespa can why can't I?  (Read 12025 times)

Professor

• Bulleteer
on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:56 am
http://vespa-vagabond.blogspot.com/

I thought; if this guy can do it on a Vespa, (and many times over) then why not my RE. He has 273cc in his GTS300. I know the build  quality may be different. I've heard that. But the RE is built strong for the third world. Last year they sold 305,000 bikes. Not new to the game.
If the Vespa can, so can I and I did. The RE can do it as well and did. I talked to maybe ten to twelve experienced riders in India and found they had no hesitation when it comes to trusting their UCE REs to run the length of their country. Just keep the speed down was the only caveat. Not too hard in India. Or so I'm told.

But here in the US, I felt like I was crazy at times. Especially when I ran into BMW riders. Boy are they arrogant about their choice of bikes.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:39:11 pm by Professor »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:21 am
Still waiting for a more detailed write-up... get cracking!!!

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:42 pm
professor who are you! i salute you for doing it. beautiful road, kind of almost 'made' for enfield. i have to find time for that too. i'm a big fan of big rides, rides that prove the enfield capabilities. and mattsz always sees a good ride report and is one of the first people to comment :) he is the same kind of enfielder. he goes for a ride, not just to work, takes photos… my kind of guy. actually, mattsz, any trips ready for this season?

i'm preparing blog for my enfield riding, i want to show so much that enfield can DO this. yes has less HP than the toy motorcycles from walmart. so what. the vespa thing was a perfect comparison. not that 'enfield is like vespa' but - ANYTHING you choose, you can do it with. it's not about the size of the engine, but about the size of your b… well. it's about the size of your travel spirit, to put it mildly. this weekend we went ride with buddy (he has a triumph) and everywhere we stop, people talk about my bike. he has such a beatufiul cafe racer black pimped up triumph and… it's like invisible :D they want to talk about enfield. on the way back from woodstock, we stopped at a gas station and met some big group of 'power riders'. dudes on hayabusas and similar monsters… half of them came to me and said 'what a cool bike'. it's a magnet! but i do see the looks at first :) there are smiles, grins sometimes. remember that big time when i stopped  smewhere on the way in canada in a harley store. but when they saw that my plate is from NY they stopped laughing. then i laughed. and the beemers are special breed. i rather prove that i crossed america on vespa than on 1200 beemer with a shower and nail clipper installed. because i want adventure. they want.. probably comfort. it's everybodys choice. i just dont undestand that they all look like from a cookie cutter. astronaut space suits with big ass helmets, huge astronaut boots on big ass bikes. if such dude stops in india on a bike in some remote village and i'm local village boy - i think i would sh.t myself. looks crazy! i'm one of the 'open face helmet' guy, i know, i know… but it fits the style. i want everybody to see that grin on my face when i ride, and smile when i park the bike. i want to talk, i love to tell stories, hear stories, i want to be approachable. just some some old boots, jeans, leather jacket. i want to look like a rider, not like a test pilot. but we are all on the same boat, we want to ride our machines that we chose for our own reasons. at the end the road connects us. but i do agree, sometimes there are some 'less connectible'  riders :) but screw them. i'm a fun guy, on amazing bike, if you think you are more than me because your bike has 800 million more cc's - who cares.

so professor - as mattsz said - share more please! :)
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:36 am
professor who are you! i salute you for doing it. beautiful road, kind of almost 'made' for enfield. i have to find time for that too. i'm a big fan of big rides, rides that prove the enfield capabilities. and mattsz always sees a good ride report and is one of the first people to comment :) he is the same kind of enfielder. he goes for a ride, not just to work, takes photos… my kind of guy. actually, mattsz, any trips ready for this season?

Well, shucks!  ;)

Was planning a 300 mile (each way) trip near Montreal for a music festival at the end of June - clothing, camping gear and a hurdy-gurdy strapped to the bike!  But I don't think the bike's gonna be up to it by then... we'll see.

Hopefully the Professor will oblige us!

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:01 am
Never thought anyone read or paid much attention to this site. I will be on the road from Santa Fe, NM to Canadian border. All back roads! I will tell you pretty much what I took along and the route over the next week or so as I progress.

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:29:47 am
i will religiously follow your posts, professor :)
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:45 am
Never thought anyone read or paid much attention to this site. I will be on the road from Santa Fe, NM to Canadian border. All back roads! I will tell you pretty much what I took along and the route over the next week or so as I progress.

Only a couple of us have replied, but as I write this, there have been 81 views of your thread in the six days since you posted.  People are interested...

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:03:42 am
As I go through this next trip, one thing is for sure. The ride only works if you prepare. REs need to be sorted out before you take the plunge. The Indians told me to go over the bike and make sure everything was tight and in place. They were right. They ride from the border of Bangladesh (hot and wet) to the border with Pakistan (very high, cold and dry). Long, long trip. Rough roads. The bike does not need to be re engineered or rebuild, just sorted. Bolts tight, cables lubed and adjusted, wheels aligned and straight, spokes tight, tires serviceable for the distance, slime them if you choose, chain serviceable and adjusted, oil changed, spark plug gaped and tighten to spec in the head, air filter checked and battery checked (replaced) with new leads. Straighten out any wiring issues. I made sure there were no adverse rubbing or chafing going on. I looked inside the headlight housing, under the seat, took the tank off and rinsed it out. Black chips came out from the factory tank liner. Cycle Gear sells a metric tool kit ($30.0 on sale) that has pretty much 95% of all you need. Bit heavy, but in a compact roll. Add the breaker and socket for the rear axle and you have it. Do all of this before you leave, not at the next motel. Locite is your friend. But honestly, I used only a small amount. Exhaust header once tight and a sealer put on the nut has stayed fixed. Never blued.

Chain lube works on a warm chain best, wiped down and let it sit over night. Not much is slung off with Chain Wax brand. At the end of the day that was my first chore.

One bag for the bike, one for me. I took very few clothes. Rode in jeans (three pair, washed only once on the road), with boots, armored jacket, gloves and open face helmet with shield. Carried a rain suit. Wore Aerostich padded underwear. Had two pair. A Godsend.
Off the bike I wore nylon hiking pants, sneakers,  Nike T-shirt (dry fast design) and light nylon windbreaker. All easy to wash (Bonners soap) and dry quickly and rolls in to a very tight package, taking virtually no room. Dinner in decent restaurants and felt presentable.

IPhone, Samsung Android (Kindle books) and GPS were my entertainment. Both the phone and Android have maps but the Garmin was mounted on the bar from previous trips so I kept it. Set up a battery hookup to keep it charged.

I bought maps of the route from the Lincoln Highway Association. The Garmin GPS saved me several times as the Lincoln Highway disappeared under some Interstate or inside some town. I never rode one interstate mile unless there were no option. I always found a back road. Same with Santa Fe to Canada. No freeways!!

I am no mechanic and have no desire to be one. I respect what they do and pay them when they do it. I know enough to maintain the bike. Not do a rebuild. This in mind I signed up for the AAA Premium  RV/Motorcycle road side service card. If it breaks they can tow it to a dealer. If they can't fix it, I'll rent a truck and take it to one who can. But, I prepare well before I leave, so this might happen, but is much less likely. So far nothing to speak of.

My desire was to travel light and without bother. To enjoy the trip, not ride a pack mule. Two saddle bags and a small tank bag  were enough.

Last, the Indians told me. "Take it easy. The bike will do it, but keep your speed down." I never went much over 60MPH. On the back roads there was no need to. I ran the highest octane gas I could find for one reason, the guys at Cycle World told me it has a detergent effect over lesser octane and the engine would not build up deposits as fast. I assume that is the truth. I had not one problem with gas. I will post a good book on cross country routes as soon as I find it on Amazon.

Wow, what nice bike, did you restore it? What year is it? Thought it was an old Triumph when you passed. You rode it from where????? No need to search for a topic over dinner. Must say the BMW guys (some) thought it was pure stupid. "Not very efficient",  was the one I recall. Overall people were most pleasant.
The Book is:  Lonely Planet USA's Best Cross-Country Road Trips: 7 Trips.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:42:48 pm by Professor »

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:39:25 pm
aaah professor, the 'two pannier bags and one small tank bag' sounds so good… i allow me to attach here photo of me :D the second you plan on camping it's no end to bags and things. but i think i'm still packed less than lot of our indian counterparts doing trips in the himalayas. post some photos too
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:22:17 pm
Pretty tight package. You being in India I fully understand camping gear. Pack and unpack, set up, take down, extra weight, more time. Camping has its issues. You surely had a great trip. Good for you!

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:06:34 am
nono, didn't ride in india. rode in nepal, but not this packed. that was like 'vacation riding' then. it's here when i pack like crazy to camp. it's exactly that - pack, unpack, where did i put it? this bag? nono, the other bag :) i just meant that i think on these photos i was packed more than you, based on your description. but was saying that i think it's still nothing compared to the dudes in india fully packed
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:46:31 pm
Got it. Makes sense. I carry very little. Nothing that is not absolutely necessary. Much like super light backpacking. Actually the bike tools are the heavy part. Everything else is light and tight.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:02 pm
The Rockies are still cool to cold in the morning. The back roads are near empty as the vacation season is still starting. Camp grounds are opening along with the small Bed and Breakfast Inns. Late PM showers. So glad I brought the vest and heavier gloves. RE just hums along at 55 and goes to sleep with hardly a sound at 50 mph. Exhaust note drops to a very gentle rumble. It feels like it will go on forever, no stress, no strain. Wonderful. Magic! The EFI has managed every high pass so far without a hiccup. I think the darn bike feels at home in the mountains.  It is genetic. Himalaya gene I sure. On to Jaipur! Not sure what the gas mileage is or even care. Fill up when there is gas and my butt says stop. This bike will run on anything from 87 to 91 plus and never complain. But, I am not spending much on gas.

I told a fellow at a gas stop it was a 2013 when he asked, and he said, "yeah right". Oh, well. Not too many bikes in the mountains as it is a bit early. Try to stay with my goal of 150 miles AM, 150 PM. Well, try is the word. Too much scenery and honestly, way too many curvy roads. I rode one six mile stretch three times!! Stock Avon tires are excellent. Enough grip and wear well. Rear is showing signs of wear. Nothing has broken or fallen off. Met a SAR unit at a coffee stop in northern Colorado. They has just pulled a big KTM adventure bike out of the mountains in a remote area. The rider slipped off a narrow road, slid down a steep bank, his bike tipped over fully loaded. He could not pick it up or ride it out and had to call for help. Not that unusual or so I was told by the local SO. The area is remote. Snow still on the peaks. Snow melt on the roads. If the RE falls over, I think I'm OK.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 01:01:21 am
I can tell your having fun. :)

I can identify with the 150/150 mile goals but saying to hell with it and just riding whatever distance feels good at the moment is the best plan.
It might turn out that you go 200/45 or 50/100 if the riding conditions and the scenery justify it.

Just go with the flow and soak up all those future memories. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 03:11:02 am
This is a trip I want to take too.  I read an article a couple of years ago of two friends riding coast to coast on a pair of Honda 305 Super Hawks.  Started with the rear tires in the Pacific and stopped with the front tires in the Atlantic.  I would love to see some photos.  Take lots of them....