Author Topic: Goldstar Exhaust System Review  (Read 2171 times)

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:29 pm
I recently bought and installed the Goldstar exhaust system on my 06' Electra. My previous modifications include 32mm flatslide Mikuni with foam sox airfilter (airbox elminated) and BW's cams. With a stock "modified exhaust" the performance gains of these efforts went unrealized.

Adding the Goldstar system really brought the bike to life. Performance gains are apparent throughout most of the power range. Not much more topend, but it's a whole lot more fun getting there. A twist of the throttle brings more smiles per mile.

The system is loud and not neighbor friendly. I found a db killer (48mm) from the Mistral muffler on my Moto Guzzi fit perfectly and tamed the sound to acceptable, but an authoritative level. The stock header pipe is much too restrictive and muffler a cannon from a long ago war. Starting to have some fun now.
 ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:18 pm
Cool!
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:36 am
Sounds very good!  I was torn between the cocktail shaker or the Goldie. Went with the cocktail and I'm very pleased as well.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:54:46 pm
I'm amazed that the stock header pipe isn't the first thing to get the boot when getting an AVL to run like a 500 single should. As you have found out, spending hundreds of $$$/£££ on carbs and cams without sorting the exhaust breathing out is, frankly, money wasted. That poor bike has been waiting 9 years for this!

A sportier exhaust and carb will give you a better all-round performance, while the "S" cams will restore some of the missing top-end robbed by the stock AVL cams' tendency to cause valve bounce at around 5,800 rpm.

I also swapped my Electra's 18T countershaft sprocket for a 17T for a more responsive bike around town, and given that the bike felt over-geared before, there was no effective loss of top-end performance.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:15 am
Adrian,
  The bike didn't have to wait nine years. I bought it last early summer with 91 miles on it from the original owner. He had to have a Harley instead. My gain. Been working on it since, 1400 miles and counting.
Bill

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:11 pm
OK Bill, but it's a shame the previous owner never got around to it, think of the fun he could have had! I'm glad this Electra has finally gone to someone who has more appreciation of what he has.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...