Author Topic: To Bobber or to Cafe?  (Read 2515 times)

Teabandit

• Neophyte
on: May 12, 2015, 11:08:48 pm
Hello guys, hope you're all good! Glad to be part of an Enfield forum finally, I'm 22 & have had a 90s Classic 350 bullet with a goldie pipefor about a year now and it runs perfectly and sounds fantastic, no problems whatsoever. Although, aesthetically I've been umming and erring about what I can start to change up on it, I'm torn between seats and saddles and high rise or cafe bars. I know it really depends on personal preference but I could do with some other opinions, especially to do with riding position for example as the bullets are quite short anyway, if comfort would be a major issue if I were to keep the pegs where they were & not mess about with rearsets. I think it lends itself to the bobber style more but I really do like some of the cafe racers I've seen around. Sorry I'm a bit of an Enfield noob but you have to start somewhere I suppose  8)
Cheers!

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:31 pm
Welcome. One way to determine if the cafe position is your cup of "Tea" would be to find some cheap new or used clubman bars and just swap bars, leave all the controls on the old bars and prop it up on the casquette) then remove the passenger peg/brackets from the frame, and simply insert some pegs or even some long bolts or what have you in those frame holes simulating the position of rear sets. Then you can see how it feels and not invest much or tear things apart too far. I say cafe all the way!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 11:43:52 pm
Whatever you do, I would suggest you keep the original parts safe and don't hack things around so it's hard to put the bike back in stock condition. You can use custom parts to replace them.  Bear in mind that while the Indian 350 Bullet is not the rarest bike around they no longer make them in the original form. I get fed up with the number of Bullet bobbers I see where someone has cut up a good bike and then sold it on as soon as they're bored with it (though the same could also be said of a badly thought-out custom bike of any persuasion). Too much matt/flat black and pipe wrap!

OK, so I'm not a bobber fan, and of the two options you're considering I'd also say cafe racer, but why just those two? I'm still waiting to see someone come up with a really good flat tracker.

Others may disagree!  ;D

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:48:55 am
+1, get some cafe bars and just mount them, see how you like it with the existing footpegs.

Scott

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:31:03 am
+1, get some cafe bars and just mount them, see how you like it with the existing footpegs.

Scott
I rode mine around like that for quite a while before going to the rearsets. The rearsets made it "look" more the part but the first thing I missed was being able to stand up while going over bumps.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:33 am
When Josh built the Incendiary Bullet he put on rearsets but kept the forward pegs.  There are no controls up there but it's another more comfortable place to put his feet on long rides.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:58:42 am
I started out as a bobber, then went to super bike bars with stock pegs, then rear seats with super bike bars, and now I have gone to a full blown cafe racer with rear sets and clip on bars.  I love all the different set ups for their own reasons, but I think the best mod you can do is the rear sets.  Not only was it a more comfortable riding position, but it also reduces the foot vibrations because the pegs are no longer bolted directly to the motor.  The most comfortable riding position of all the different ones was the rear sets with super bike bars.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:33 pm
The Bobber style is not a favourite of mine, but would be cheaper and more satisfying than a Café Racer - which would be a sheep in wolf's clothing unless you spent time and money to get performance to match the look. Believe me, there is nothing sadder and more frustrating than riding a bike that looks like it will do the 'Ton', but actually struggles to hit, say, 70mph. Just about everyone else on the road with you, will expect you to be on some sort of missile - cars will accelerate when you try to pass them and even trucks will be on your tail.
 A 'Bobber', however, will be far more laid back and less challenging in appearance to any 'Muppets' on the road with you and looks the part at 50 mph.
 Just my take on things.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 01:38:51 pm
I think that the shape of the Bullet frame, with the way it gets low below the seat, lends itself to the Bobber style modification. It has that look which was just barely evolved from after the hardtail. So, it can look right with the low mounted single seat, almost like a Harley.
My own Bullet has that slightly Bobber look with a low seat.

That being said, I actually prefer the Cafe' style, and I have all the parts for the Cafe' conversion, if I ever get around to doing it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Nixie

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:00 pm
I like both styles, But tbh, why limit yourself to a 'genre'. It's your bike, do what you want with it! <ake a cafe bobber!

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:11 pm
Whatever you do, I would suggest you keep the original parts safe and don't hack things around so it's hard to put the bike back in stock condition. You can use custom parts to replace them.  Bear in mind that while the Indian 350 Bullet is not the rarest bike around they no longer make them in the original form. I get fed up with the number of Bullet bobbers I see where someone has cut up a good bike and then sold it on as soon as they're bored with it (though the same could also be said of a badly thought-out custom bike of any persuasion). Too much matt/flat black and pipe wrap.

+1 Keep the original parts and don't do anything to the point you can't bring it back. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:40:42 pm
Here's my bobber if you want to know what it would look like. Not bad for putting around!

ajb235

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:49 pm
Here's mine, more flat tracker than bobber, but its what I wanted.  Rear set footrests and raised bars give a comfortable riding position, I can go 250 miles without discomfort. I've had my share of stiff necks and sore backs with clip ins on many of my cafe racers!
I have also got rid of a lot of weight, the bike hits the bathroom scales at 70 kg front , 80 kg rear, 150kg total. Alloy barrel fitted, big weight saving.
Next up is a belt drive, crank mounted ignition and alloy rims.

Teabandit

• Neophyte
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:26:00 pm
Thanks a lot for the input guys I definitely agree with the general consensus of not hacking it up so it can be returned to original/swapped around if needs be! I'm gonna buy a bit at a time and play it by ear!