Author Topic: My New Hobbie - Drift Trikes!  (Read 20047 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #75 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:43 am
Heh,Heh....   looks like a blast!!
   somehow this reminded me of you-  Mike
         http://imgur.com/0jj4O4D

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: July 28, 2015, 03:42:00 am
Heh,Heh....   looks like a blast!!
   somehow this reminded me of you-  Mike
         http://imgur.com/0jj4O4D

Bwahahaha!!!!!  I remember that gif!  That is hilarious.  I've come off a few times now, but nothing more that bumps and scrapes.  My wife is right, I'm perpetually 14 in a grown man's body.  I go to work and pay my bills, but in my free time I want to be a kid!  :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:27 pm
   Nothing wrong with being childlike;D
   It's when we act childish that we've lost our perspective and ability to have fun.
   Warms the heart to see anyone having that kind of fun! If my bones would allow for the cramped position, I'd love to give drifting a shot! :P
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 02:55:39 am
Hey everyone!  I've been lurking around the forum but haven't been very active lately.  I spent a month in Wisconsin with my family and just got back a week or so ago.  I originally flew out for a week to visit, but my mom was very stressed out about all the unfinished remodeling work that still needed to be finished around the before my dad had his stroke last spring.  So, I called work and told them it would be a few more weeks before I got back as I needed to take care of my parents for a little while.  I ended up doing about 200' of window and door trim and about another 200' of baseboard.  And, buried 75' of cable from the basement out to the new garage and wired up a 60 amp service breaker box with 6 outlets, 4 lights, and another outlet for the garage door opener, which ended up being a 5 day project.  Cleaned out all the boxes, books and model cars out of the cupola, which needed 6 windows finished and baseboard.  And then just a bunch of other random stuff on the RV and helped Mom mow the 3 acre property a half dozen times.  I only took off a handful of days from working on the property.  But, the 1 day I took off my brother invited me to play with him and some friends in a softball tournament.  I hadn't played in almost 10 years, but made 5 catches and outs in the 1st 2 games.  3rd game I was DH and tripled my 1st at bat, big single my 2nd up, flew out, and then another single my 4th at bat with a total of 4 RBIs and scored once myself.  We won that game 22-10 by the 10 run rule at the bottom of the 5th inning.  All in all, it was an amazing time with my family and kids.

BUT, this is the Drift Trike Thread!    ;D
A couple months ago I found a sweet residential place on my way home from work.  It's only 2 blocks long, but it's fast and SUPER slick!  Plus most of the people that live there don't seem to mind us and wave.  Here's a run we did last Sunday.  As you can see, I'm getting a lot better.  Best part is that there is hardly any traffic in this neighborhood.  And before you freak out about us "riding on the wrong side of the road" we downloaded a walkie-talkie app for our smart phones, we wear ear phones and our friend at the bottom of the hill lets us know as soon as there is any traffic hazards.  ;)  Actually works out really great!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axZXHO4FqQg

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: September 28, 2015, 03:37:38 pm
While the Gentlemen were out riding for a cause yesterday, some friends and I went riding our trikes on our favorite hill for 6 hours.  :)  It was truly the most fun I've ever had on wheels to date!  We started riding at about 2pm and kept riding until about 8:30pm.  We even made our final pass as the blood moon was eclipsing!   :D  It was also my BEST and cleanest riding to date, which was just plain awesome.  I'm getting really good and I was pulling off some massive 100'+ drifts at 25mph!  The speed limit on this section of road is 25mph, with almost all of the S turns suggested at 10mph.  My bike speedo indicated an average speed of 17.8mph and a top speed of 31mph.  So, yeah, we like to push the limits.  Haha  ;D

I think what made the adventure so fun, was aside from having fun with great friends, is that we got lots, and I mean LOTS, of smiles and waves, and "Yeah!"s, thumbs ups, and even a few hang loose and Devil horns.  ;D  Even the Sheriff waved as he passed us!   8)  A few people even stopped to chat with us for a bit, including a bicyclist who informed us of a new canyon (to us) up by Boulder called Rist Canyon.  Apparently it has a 12% grade!   :o  Another guy (local resident) stopped on his Harley to admire what we were doing and said he was going to look for us in the future to watch.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera at home so I didn't get any footage.  But, my friend Jordan got footage of every pass, so once he gets something uploaded I'll post it here.  All in all, it was a truly epic Sunday to remember.  I will always love motorcycles, but the fun meter doesn't come close to the adrenaline rush of racing 4" off of the road on 3 wheels!  I did, however, crash into the guardrail backwards and smashed my ass bone off the frame of my trike and got a nice bruise in my crotch.  Just a reminder of how much fun I had.  :D

I Love My Subaru!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: November 10, 2015, 02:02:29 pm
I built a new trike a few weeks ago.  This time I went for a pure freestyle approach.  The results are super fast steering and effortless drifts.  Now I've been trying really hard to stick a 3600* spin.  So far, I've only been able to get 9 rotations before I can't see where I am anymore.  Haha  ;D  Also, towards the end of summer, I got invited to join the Highplains Drifters Drift Trike Team!  I've been riding with a few of the members and they saw how fast I was progressing and pushing myself, and so they wanted me to be a part of their crew, so that's cool.  :)

Here's a short video of me tricking out.  Haha  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9QEzer9Tg

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: November 10, 2015, 07:23:03 pm
Musta been a helluva ride to end up on those rocks!!   ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: March 10, 2016, 01:03:29 pm
As much as I love motorcycles, I am getting very close to loving drift trikes more.   ;D  Seriously, it's so much fun it's stupid.  haha  However, the last time we rode our favorite mountain, we were told by the Sheriff's we couldn't ride on public roads without pedals.  Apparently, when they originally told us we could they thought all of our trikes had pedals.  So, I've been working on building a pedal front end for my trike.

I scored a Nimbus pedal hub from a teammate who has acquired a authorized distributorship for these hubs.  They are made by a unicycle company, but specifically designed for drift trikes. To mount this hub/wheel it requires you to cut off the bottoms of the fork tubes, squish the tubes down, then notch out and weld in the bearing clamps.  This hub also allows to mount a disc brake, but my funds are tied up in building the actual wheel at the moment, so disc brakes will come later this year.  It was a learning curve for sure, but overall went smoothly and I am happy with the results.

The paint I used was Rustoleum florescent green with automotive clear over the top.  I figured it would help with visibility, and it looks cool as hell.  I also ordered some lime green pedals that are very close to the color I sprayed.  Hub is black so I ordered black spokes which will get laced up on Saturday.  Then hopefully I will get to ride it this weekend too.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: March 10, 2016, 01:07:41 pm
Also here's a video of me landing the 3600 spin I was trying so hard to do.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GyiJOqHUE

And here's a video from a couple of weeks ago.  I'm in the black tee and blue moto pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4MH59ZEmUs