Author Topic: any news on sidecar arrivals  (Read 15207 times)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
on: August 11, 2008, 05:41:50 pm
I know I'm one of a few folks waiting on the latest ship to come in with our cozy sidecars. Any one else out there chomping at the bit to get there's? does anyone know the eta when arrival should be. Last I heard was first week of august. but know that with storm in the atlantic that can get pushed out a bit.

thanks
TD and gromit
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:29:04 pm
Looks like the week of the 18th.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Sidecar Buddy

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:44:12 pm
I' am chomping at the bit , thanks for the question and the update.

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:27:07 am
thanks for the update   ;D

can't wait for the rig to arrive and to start driving.
And TD can't wait to ride.  :D

2006 RE Electra-sold

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:39 am
Ok....I'm getting frustrated here. First I was told that the sidecars would be arriving around the middle of July, then around the middle of August. Now it's Sept and still no sidecar. What's the hang up? I'm going to be gone for much of Sept which means no riding till October.

Any one else having the same trouble?

2006 RE Electra-sold

ccopeland

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:13 am
I don't know what you ordered. But Sidecars are a lot of work to steer and drive ( notice I said drive , not ride .  If yours don't come .  I have a 03 V Star with a new Cozy I'll sell you. If your is not at least 600cc you and your dog will be disappointed. I ride my 150lb greatdame and he and I both love it but I am  glad for the 650cc of power It a lot of wear and tear on your bike starting and stopping.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:29:49 am
This is why I encourage anyone who wants to save a buck by buying directly from India to please be my guest. The sidecars arrived about a week and one half ago. They were delayed in port for a random Cray inspection. After that they went to another inspection. This burned up about a week and another $1000-$1,500 in unscheduled fees. After that inspection they went to the department of Agriculture and here is where it gets good. The genius in India who fumigated the shipping packages forgot to mark the actual crates. We have a legitimate fumigation certificate, but that is no longer sufficient. We were then faced with two choices, send the container back to India for reprocessing, or get a permit to remove the crates under Customs supervision, remove all of the wooden crates, re package them with US wood and then ship the old packing material and the container back to India. It was the shippers responsibility thankfully and as of Friday they found a firm to to the re-crating. We will know more on Monday. The trials and tribulations of importing form India.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:51 pm
You know why it's this time consuming? Cuz I ordered a military bike with a side car! :D
This is just my kinda luck!
I've been looking at the bikes on this web site since I ordered mine in July! Waiting, waiting forever waiting.......
Hopefully I'll get my rig before the snow flies!
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:52:24 am
Good to hear that the US customs dept is spending our money so well.  :-\

But is good to know the rigs are here in the US. Maybe I'll see mine when I return from PA in Oct. Just in time for the rainy season.
But then again in WA it is always the rainy season.

2006 RE Electra-sold

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:49 pm
to be fair Customs is doing it job, protecting us from foreign beetles (not beatles). At the end of the day the cost to recrate the sidecars is more than they are worth, so the container is on its way back to India for stamping. In the meantime we have 20 being manufactured that will be here before the first batch is returned. If you have a new bike you should get it good an broken in before you attach a sidecar anyway
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:54:57 pm
I'm gone from chomping at the bit, to foaming at the mouth, to just plain ticked off! >:(
Like a few others I was told, middle of July, now we're looking at what Nov.? at the earlest? Not much time to get it "snow ready".
I had WANTED my bike to run in, but the dealer who is holding me hostage won't order the bike until the side car is here/ ready to ship out?
Me thinks a few more weeks and I think I'll have to pull the plug on this deal and look @ and see what kind of winter riding rig I can come up with. ???
Ahhh, the best laid plans................
Disgusted Joe
I rode therefore I am ;D

Sidecar Buddy

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 05:07:13 pm
It is getting cold here in Michigan, any further news on sidecar arrivals?(New or re-shipped?) Thanks.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 06:36:07 pm
The original batch of sidecars is on it's way back to India. It will not be back here for at least 2 1/2 months. The replacement ones got slowed down due to Ramadan (sp?) since all of the folks at Cozy are Muslim. However they are working their way here. I think the earliest we could see them would be December.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:09 am
well....by the time the rigs get here spring may be here and it will be better weather for riding. I understand custom issues just frustrating for all. Thankfully that my bike is on hold till the hack arrives. Taken the sidecar classes and not about to go riding solo as I know my driving the sidecar is what I'll be doing the most of.

gromit and TD

2006 RE Electra-sold

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 06:31:14 am
My Fairbanks dealer has 1or 2 sidecars.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 07:30:55 pm
Maybe you can get a UCE,  the extra power would probably help with the hack.. ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Sidecar Buddy

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 04:28:34 pm
Well here it is December, snow flying. Any new News, Ole' Royal One, on arrival of sidecars?..............................Thank You

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:45 am
Are all the other dealers out, too?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:37:39 am by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 07:15:25 pm
I was on the phone with CMW a few days ago ordering my new ignition for my '09 Military and was about to ask, but then I thought, "Hey why upset yourself" and just figured my ship hadn't come in yet! ;D
Be nice to get it, I'd hate to have to park my bike.
Joe
all 4 wheels and no 2 makes Joe a dull boy! ;)

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 08:30:16 pm
We have two containers which are actually "on the water". We have a short container (20) of Cozy's, and a big container with a mix of the Inder sidecars (like a Cozy) along with the Inder trailers as pictured in our catalog. We have not marketed the Inders yet, but when they get here we will get pictures etc. up. We don't expect the 20 Cozys to last long. In the meantime the 40 foot container of Cozy's which was returned to India has arrived back in Mumbai and should be back on its way here fairly soon (Soon is a relative term in India). I was in Mumbai recently and had meetings with both Cozy and Inder and feel pretty sure that this sort of problem won't happen again. Of course there are always new problems....... This debacle is the reason that when people tell me that "they can get it cheaper directly from India" I tell them to be my guest and please go ahead. I think we will be well stocked for 2009. Notice I did not give a date for the arrival of the first container - there is a reason for that. It will here when it gets here.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 11:51:10 pm
Kevin,
Can you give a side by side comparison of the Cozy and Inder?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:06:05 pm
I will let you be the judge of the differences when they get here and we get detailed pictures of them online. I don't think one is really better than the other, but they are different. Different frames, different mounts, different suspension. I have been working with them for over two years which is about the amount of time it takes to really develop a product from a new Indian vendor. I am reserving judgement until I see this batch personally. I wanted to get a second vendor of sidecars in case something happens to one or the other since I was completely dependant upon Cozy in the past. They are reliable, but it is always good to have choices.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 03:46:23 pm
Are they here yet?
Are they here yet?
Are they here yet?
Are they here yet?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 02:41:33 am
I am reserving judgement until I see this batch personally. I wanted to get a second vendor of sidecars in case something happens to one or the other since I was completely dependant upon Cozy in the past. They are reliable, but it is always good to have choices.
Well, if you have a scratch and dent one, say it shows up with a hole punched in it or bent  part/ bad paint or some such I will take it off your hands.   

I have been looking for a hack rig for several months now and I am getting closer to buying a cozy but am always looking for a deal..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

calman28556

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 08:27:21 pm
Boy, I'm glad I insisted on a hack when I got my RE this past May.  That was the only way I was going to accept delivery of the Bullet and Backroads Truimph in Jacksonville, NC found me one in a matter of days.  (And I've gotten the same great service since delivery.)

When you guys get your hack you'll wonder why you didn't go wth a hack at the "get go".  I know my lady friend loves it in the hack on these cold 20 F nights while I'm fighting the chill up on the Bullet.

Happy New Year,

Cal
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 09:49:01 pm
Boy, I'm glad I insisted on a hack when I got my RE this past May.  That was the only way I was going to accept delivery of the Bullet and Backroads Truimph in Jacksonville, NC found me one in a matter of days.  (And I've gotten the same great service since delivery.)

When you guys get your hack you'll wonder why you didn't go wth a hack at the "get go".  I know my lady friend loves it in the hack on these cold 20 F nights while I'm fighting the chill up on the Bullet.

Happy New Year,

Cal

I talked with the owner of backwoods triumph and he seemed to be really into the Enfields. Glad you have such a dedicated dealer.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 04:15:00 am
We now have 20 Cozys (now down to 17) in our East Coast Warehouse. If yoiu want one, better get moving.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:50 am
Mr Kevin, many years ago, I had an Indian-made Globe (copy of a Steib LS200).
That seems like it would be suitable for an RE.  Do you know if they're still made?
Run what ya brung

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:22 am
My first bit of business and my first tour of a sidecar factory was with Globe. They went out of business several years ago. We bought the last of their stock and that is all gone now,.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com