Author Topic: Is it OK To Clean Motorcycle and Gas Tank with Lucas Injector Cleaner ?  (Read 4752 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
I have used Lucas Injector cleaner in the fuel tank from time to time. Last time as I was pouring it into the filler hole, there was a sudden burst of wind that blew the oily stream of this fuel additive on the gas tank. As I was wiping it off, to my pleasant surprise it cleaned the tank on that area and made it nice and shiny. So I thought why not try cleaning the whole gas tank with it and went ahead.

Prior to this, there were some water spots on the tank and even after using some other polishes the tank looked worn out, dull and spotted. But after this Lucas thing, it is bright, clean like new. Then I used it on front fender as well.

My question is can this oily additive cause damage such as peeling the paint off after some time or dissolve the paint if used repeatedly ?

One drawback I see is that it is hard to wipe off completely so it will stick to my riding pants. Any other problems that may be anticipated ?

For comparison I have two pictures one taken in 2009 when the bike was brand new and other taken 6 years later, today in 2015 with this treatment on a couple of parts of motorcycle.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:38:14 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:22:44 pm
Another view of tank and the Lucas Injector Cleaner Fuel Additive.

The dust of yellow dots on the tank are pollens that fell on the bike. It is heavy pollen season here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:26:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I am using "Lucas Upper Cylinder Oil and Injector Cleaner" in my B5 and it is still running.   ;)
And I am also running 87 octane, alcohol-saturated, smog gas (because we have no other option) and it still gets me to where I want to go.   :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
 :o
I think the question is Wether it is good for "the paint Job" if it's used to clean up the fender and tank and such.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I don't know for certain but I would expect the fuel injection cleaner to act like a dust magnet.

If it does, the accumulated dust will rapidly wear the paint if it is touched or rubbed by your riding pants or your hand.

If it were mine, I would wash the cleaner off with a strong soap/water solution.

If your water is like the water here in Phoenix it has a lot of dissolved minerals in it and these will be left behind with the rinse.
For this reason, I always give my motorcycle another rinse using distilled water.
If done very shortly after the hard water rinse, the distilled water will remove all traces of the minerals.

This distilled water rinse doesn't take a lot of water.  I just use a spray bottle and spray on a light coat.  Then, using a microfiber cloth I wipe the spray off leaving a clean surface.

Once this is done, I wax the paint with Meguiar's® Gold Class wax.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:24:36 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Well, I certainly wouldn't use top cylinder oil to clean anything, much less a painted fuel tank. (I suspect it is mostly kerosene.) There are very many products sold in auto accessory stores that you could use for that purpose.  If you want to go cheap, many motorcycle owners have been using Pledge for years to clean and protect their bike finishes.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Lucas injector cleaner is technically a solvent, which is why it removed your water spots and oxidization and such.  But it is also a very slow evaporating solvent, which means it could start soaking into the finishing and stain it before it evaporates off of the surface.  You could have gotten the same, but cleaner, results from a clay bar.  I would wash the bike thoroughly and wax it as the Lucas has stripped off any wax that would have been on the bike, which is probably why it "looks" shinier than it used to.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Lucas injector cleaner is technically a solvent, which is why it removed your water spots and oxidization and such.  But it is also a very slow evaporating solvent, which means it could start soaking into the finishing and stain it before it evaporates off of the surface.  You could have gotten the same, but cleaner, results from a clay bar.  I would wash the bike thoroughly and wax it as the Lucas has stripped off any wax that would have been on the bike, which is probably why it "looks" shinier than it used to.

It "looks" shiny because it's oily. Like putting diesel fuel on a crap car to sell it. You couldn't put wax on the tank with Lucas Injector Cleaner on it. The wax would just slide around & you'd have to wash the IC off anyway (or is IC just mostly alcohol?).

I don't get why he would do this anyway. What's wrong with some liquid "wax" once in a while. Why would you want to do this, Sinhhg?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:42:42 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
    It looks" shiny because it's oily. Like putting diesel fuel on a crap car to sell it. You couldn't put wax on the tank with Lucas Injector Cleaner on it. The wax would just slide around & you'd have to wash the IC off anyway (or is IC just mostly alcohol?).

I don't get why he would do this anyway. What's wrong with some liquid "wax" once in a while. Why would you want to do this, Sinhhg?

Why would I want to do this ? Good question :D

The injector cleaner spilled ............ one thing led to another ! Just experimenting, and sometimes experiment fail, or they turn out to be not so good idea. I guess I had a bad feeling, so brought it out in the Forum. Curious minds Want to Know, Why, and Why Not of Everything and sometimes it does not work out ....;).

THANK YOU ALL for great insights. I am trying to take it off and so far only little bit has come off. It is amazing that it wants to cling to the paint, still shinny. Even tried a cotton cloth moistened with 70% isopropanol to remove it. Being careful not to scrape off paint with something hard.

The water in my area has lots of chemicals and minerals. It is not drinkable due to excessive chlorine in it. It leaves water marks and mineral deposits, after it evaporates. Good idea Jim (Arizoni) to use distilled water from a spray bottle to wash them off paint.

Once it does come off safely, I will be putting some carnauba wax. That has been on my mind for a while.   

**Why experiment ? Experiments That Failed BUT Succeeded **

Google the Discovery of Penicillin.... how a dirty petri dish (which was SUPPOSED to be CLEAN) led to contamination by mould / fungus .....and viola we got first antibiotic - penicillin !  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:07:40 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams

**Why experiment ? Experiments That Failed BUT Succeeded **

Google the Discovery of Penicillin.... how a dirty petri dish (which was SUPPOSED to be CLEAN) led to contamination by mould / fungus .....and viola we got first antibiotic - penicillin !  ;D

That's true. I learned that in science class in junior high or maybe grade school back in the '50s long before Google. We were taught stuff back then that even university grads don't know today.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I have used Armor All on old faded paint and it worked fairly well. You just have to make sure you get all of it of off that you can. It is a serious dirt magnet.

The best thing for good paint that I have ever found is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Many say this is just an expensive furniture polish, and that may be at least partially true. But it works. But then so does furniture polish.

Because of arthritis, I gave up on old fashioned "car wax" years ago. I used to be the type that spent more time cleaning and polishing my cars and bikes than riding them. Not anymore. Though I do try to keep the Enfield and a vintage scooter I have as clean as possible. I never bought them as transportation.

I once rode the Enfield almost 60 miles, only to find a huge puddle of water in a dip. There was no way around it, there was mud on both sides. I did the only thing I could do. I turned around and rode 60 miles back. People seem perplexed about the way I treat the Enfield. Those that know what it is say it is just a cheap Indian made copy of a vintage British bike. That it may be, but it's real. I sold so many nice bikes in the past, because I didn't realize what the future would bring. I am mostly horrified by the new bikes. Nothing out there I want. Yet I sold or traded so many nice bikes that I would love to have back today. So for me the Enfield is a keeper. This is one that is not getting away.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Try my secret weapons. Plastic polish/scratch remover is an excellent paint restorer & not as aggressive or hard to remove as rubbing compound. There is a product I first saw on TV, called "NU FINISH,Once A Year Car Polish" it is in an orange squeeze bottle, Wal Mart has it. IT IS MAGIC. after the plastic scratch remover, it shines & protects paint & chrome. EZ ON & OFF, I LOVE IT.

Craig in North Port FL
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:43:47 pm by Craig McClure »
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Aa a recap Singhg5 JI....
It's safe to say that, it's definitely NOT advisable to clean motorcycle and gas tank with Lucas injector cleaner  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead

The best thing for good paint that I have ever found is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Many say this is just an expensive furniture polish, and that may be at least partially true. But it works.
ay.

Yes, Pro Honda Cleaner and Polish contains Carnauba Wax listed on the aerosol can. It does work quite well.

Aa a recap Singhg5 JI....
It's safe to say that, it's definitely NOT advisable to clean motorcycle and gas tank with Lucas injector cleaner  ;D

THANKS Bulletman ;).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:05:41 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I have been using Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish for over 25 years and it works great, especially for cleaning chain oil off of the rear wheel and spokes.   :)