Author Topic: checking oil in sight glassSS  (Read 3239 times)

HUdson51

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2015, 03:56:08 am
 So I think I understand how to properly read the sight glass now, run bike about 1 minute on center stand, turn engine off and let it sit, then drink a beer and recheck it? Why doesn't it work if it has been sitting on the side stand and then put on center stand? Thanks for help, I have had other bikes,79 Suzuki Gs1000s and 82 GS1100G but checking oil was more straightforward.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:44:41 am
The oil can be in several different compartments in the engine and the sight glass only reads what is is in one of them.
Rocket

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:54:44 am
Why doesn't it work if it has been sitting on the side stand and then put on center stand?

To be honest it's a design mistake.  It's ridiculous that you have to mess about like this on a newly designed engine, but you do.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:07:39 am
To check the oil I allow the bike to sit on the main stand overnight after a ride in the evening and check the oil level in the glass window.
It gives me the correct reading, all the oil from every part of the engine settles down in the sump.
If you put the bike on the side stand then oil gets accumulated in the LHS cover and you will not get the correct reading. its a design fault.

Regards
Mandar

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:56 pm
That is the only thing I DON'T LIKE about my G5 Deluxe Bullet. I would love to be able to just check my oil regularly with a dip stick.
  When I routed my open crankcase breather hose out the rear of the bike, it became SELF LEVELING (excess oil is jettisoned) Only concern being too little oil, but my sight glass is completely full, every morning after sitting on center stand all night.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:56:45 pm
That is the only thing I DON'T LIKE about my G5 Deluxe Bullet. I would love to be able to just check my oil regularly with a dip stick.
  When I routed my open crankcase breather hose out the rear of the bike, it became SELF LEVELING (excess oil is jettisoned) Only concern being too little oil, but my sight glass is completely full, every morning after sitting on center stand all night.
If the glass window is full in the morning then you have excess oil.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:32 pm
I'm kind of curious, if excess oil is vented overboard s there any harm in having "excess" oil with motor.

I know on a few of my previous bikes there were warning in the manual about excess oil and increased crankcase pressure that could have detrimental effects.  I know there was a thread were ACE has discussed the effects of crankcase pressure, but for the life of me I can't find it and can't recall on where we landed on this subject.

The reason I ask - I'm thinking about doing the  out the back "overboard" venting method once I fit a ACE canister as my air cleaner.

Thoughts?
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:48:09 am
Hi PMANAZ, I was glad to hear I have "enough" oil in my engine. When I followed the manual, I had to suck some out through a hose - didn't want to dump my new synthetic oil. I'm pretty sure you'll like the rear routed breather - I've run them for decades, especially if your no better at getting the correct amount of oil in the bike than I am. Clogged air filters & running rich are not an issue any longer.  My G5 must like the present oil level, because it hasn't puked any out lately.
Tell us how you like the new arrangement.  GOOD LUCK
PS Lowes has some nice flexible thin wall black vinyl hose in their plumbing department - what I use.

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:27 am
Partially due to this tricky oil level checking issue, I almost always keep the bike on the center stand. This way the oil level consistently shows up at the same line.

If you use center stand all the time it might be easier.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:19:40 am
If you use center stand all the time it might be easier.
Not tall enough to use ALL the time, I have to use the side stand to mount & dis-mount. other than that I always park my tall G5 Deluxe on its center stand.

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:51 am
Hi,
        I have noticed yesterday that Glass window didn't show any traces of oil when engine is running. If I put the bike on main stand, then within 5 mins glass window shows oil to the MAX level.

Is it normal?

Regards
Mandar

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:45 pm
Yup- I've seen that on my bike as well.  I've also seen the sight glass completely full while on the center stand running.

If the bike isn't DEAD LEVEL and I mean spot -f'ing on, the glass will show a different level. Piss-poor design if you ask me, but unless you have visible signs of oil consumption don't obsess. So long as there is roughly 2 quarts in the bike you are good to go.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:33:08 pm
Yup- I've seen that on my bike as well.  I've also seen the sight glass completely full while on the center stand running.

If the bike isn't DEAD LEVEL and I mean spot -f'ing on, the glass will show a different level. Piss-poor design if you ask me, but unless you have visible signs of oil consumption don't obsess. So long as there is roughly 2 quarts in the bike you are good to go.

Thanks, That was such a relief. You made my day :)