Author Topic: C5 Solo Seat Mod  (Read 7672 times)

mumblemouth

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2015, 01:24:14 am
hello- I'm new to the forum, and recently bought my first enfield. i got a 2012 c5 classic UCE in maroon. so far so great! I've been after one of these for a long time! anyways...im a bit on the short the side of things and as is, I'm pretty tippy tip toed. i was curious if any of you knew of a way to modify the existing seat, instead of having to buy a whole new one (i.e., cut springs, make mounting brackets, etc)? I have an upholstery friend who's re-wrapped and snapped moto seats before...so I think I'm definitely going to go down that route...which I'm sure will help. But I'm just curious if y'all had any other ideas..Thanks so much in advance.

ps. I posted in a different section as well...sorry for any redundancies.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:38:17 am
Welcome to the forum.  Here is a thread I started awhile back.  The search function is down on the site, but all you have to do is google "enfieldmotorcycles.com lowered seat" and it searches the forum and works fairly well.

I modified mine without too much pain. Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=20202.0
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

dls

• Scooter
  • 2022 350 Classic Reborn Halcyon Black
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:56 am
Tried a Lycett type seat but didn`t care for it, I now have a Bates type large thick seat mounted solid on brackets, 29 1/2" at lowest point, I like the feel & look a lot

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:28:05 am
Welcome to the forum.  Here is a thread I started awhile back.  The search function is down on the site, but all you have to do is google "enfieldmotorcycles.com lowered seat" and it searches the forum and works fairly well.

I modified mine without too much pain. Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=20202.0

i did come across this article...and i recon thats what my upholstery friend will do (as far as shaving it). heres to hoping it'll be low enough.

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:00 am
Tried a Lycett type seat but didn`t care for it, I now have a Bates type large thick seat mounted solid on brackets, 29 1/2" at lowest point, I like the feel & look a lot

thanks for the reply. did you fabricate the brackets, or did they come with the new seat? would you happen to have a picture of the underside, or how it mounts? i've been thinking of going to the hardware store and trying to find an "L" style brackets..seeing if i could possibly rig something up.

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:13 am
also,while i'm thinking of it..i know i can get shorter springs from any chopper site for pretty cheap. but the mount horizontally instead of vertically...anybody have any ideas of how to make that style spring work?

dls

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:05 pm
I haven`t found shorter springs that mount correctly, I did try shorter springs mounted on L brackets but the seat base would hit the original seat mount on bumps causing a spine jarring ride. The seat I`m using came with fittings for springs that I used to mount brackets cut from some sturdy angles from Home Depot`s structural framing dept.

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:30:55 pm
I haven`t found shorter springs that mount correctly, I did try shorter springs mounted on L brackets but the seat base would hit the original seat mount on bumps causing a spine jarring ride. The seat I`m using came with fittings for springs that I used to mount brackets cut from some sturdy angles from Home Depot`s structural framing dept.

Yeah I had that idea, and was going to try it with the stock seat. Does the new seat you have still use the factory center bracket (the one that flexs in the middle)? And does anyone know of a way to mount the old school style springs that mount vertically?

dls

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 11:57:55 pm
I don`t use the stock center mount, just the fwd bracket and 2 aft brackets. The seat clears the stock bracket by about 3/16"

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:31 am
I don`t use the stock center mount, just the fwd bracket and 2 aft brackets. The seat clears the stock bracket by about 3/16"

You wouldn't happen to have any mounting photos would ya?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:29 am
This is how I did mine - brochure had Cream Bike with Brown seat, arrived with black & if going to change I wanted Tan, Leather & Old / Thin, so bought pair out of India.

Main seat - I used rear springs but had to fabricate bracket (vice & angle grinder - no welding) as seat bolts to spring were around 20mm / 3/4"out each side. At the front it's horizontal bolted on to orig mount. Rider at 90kg / 180lbs found slight bending in seat metal "pan" so cut down a spring to support in the middle & mounted to what I assume is for the G5 - no pblm and now pivot front, spring support middle & rear

For rear I used factory pillion frame but took of the postage stamp seat & used 2 smallest sets of springs as 1st attempt with "correct" looked too high. Springs all at an angle, so all loose fitted and then tightened slightly in rotation )as you would on car cylinder head bolts) so that angles became consistent.
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 06:12:37 am
Oooops maybe should have been B5 :)
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:19 pm
I bought the "Front Chief Seat" from Hitchcock's (cat #91456, if you're interested), which is *far* nicer and more comfy than the OEM saddle, but the fitment was a little... Ehm... incorrect on my Fiona (also a maroon '12 Classic), as the saddle's rear mounting bolts are farther apart than the bike's spring mounting points... I just fabricated a mount from 3/16"x2" mild steel that bolted to the underside of the seat and held a pair of 5/16" studs that the springs bolted to. Works like a charm, and comfortably supports my big fat ass, while still allowing me to attach the OEM pillion seat frame, which I've converted over to a mounting rig for my RE panniers.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-seats
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 05:01:42 am
I bought the "Front Chief Seat" from Hitchcock's (cat #91456, if you're interested), which is *far* nicer and more comfy than the OEM saddle, but the fitment was a little... Ehm... incorrect on my Fiona (also a maroon '12 Classic), as the saddle's rear mounting bolts are farther apart than the bike's spring mounting points... I just fabricated a mount from 3/16"x2" mild steel that bolted to the underside of the seat and held a pair of 5/16" studs that the springs bolted to. Works like a charm, and comfortably supports my big fat ass, while still allowing me to attach the OEM pillion seat frame, which I've converted over to a mounting rig for my RE panniers.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-seats

Yeah man! That's a nice looking seat. I'm mainly looking to reduce height, as I'm a little vertically challenged. There's a custom seat manufacturor here in Austin..so I may look into that. I've also been rolling around the idea of using some corner brackets from the hardware store..maybe trying to rig something up..

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 05:49:20 pm
If you are willing to shell out the cash for a custom seat maker, I'd do that.  Most of the options for the C5 I've seen either involve reducing the foam thickness (which I did and am happy with) or lowering the pan of the seat via the springs.  I sat on a C5 with a lowered seat (no springs) and I felt like I was sliding off the back of the seat.

A custom seat maker, especially if they do pans, can reduce the overall height of your seat while keeping the springs and the level angle. 

Let us know what you come up with and post it to the other thread so we have a archive of it.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5