aboard

Author Topic: C5 Solo Seat Mod  (Read 1173 times)

mumblemouth

• Scooter
on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:32 pm
hello- I'm new to the forum, and recently bought my first enfield. i got a 2012 c5 classic UCE in maroon. so far so great! I've been after one of these for a long time! anyways...im a bit on the short the side of things and as is, I'm pretty tippy tip toed. i was curious if any of you knew of a way to modify the existing seat, instead of having to buy a whole new one (i.e., cut springs, make mounting brackets, etc)? I have an upholstery friend who's re-wrapped and snapped moto seats before...so I think I'm definitely going to go down that route...which I'm sure will help. But I'm just curious if y'all had any other ideas..Thanks so much in advance.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:06:45 pm
The springs that come with the C5 are unique to the model, so you're limited in your options.
You can replace the seat with something else, modify the springs, or if you or someone you know is handy at metal working get a set of lower springs and modify them to fit.
I have a 30" inseam so I needed about 1" lower than the OEM seat and ordered mine with the Cobra Seat. Looked good and the height was perfect, but not comfortable for longer than about 1 hour before taking a break. Got the Lycette knockoff from India and was able to use the OEM springs. Only modification was drilling the front bracket to fit.
Love it!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:31:25 pm
The springs that come with the C5 are unique to the model, so you're limited in your options.
You can replace the seat with something else, modify the springs, or if you or someone you know is handy at metal working get a set of lower springs and modify them to fit.
I have a 30" inseam so I needed about 1" lower than the OEM seat and ordered mine with the Cobra Seat. Looked good and the height was perfect, but not comfortable for longer than about 1 hour before taking a break. Got the Lycette knockoff from India and was able to use the OEM springs. Only modification was drilling the front bracket to fit.
Love it!

Thanks for the input. I like the cobra seat too, but last I knew it was being offered anymore...?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:32:22 pm
True. I think I got one of the last ones. They had to be ordered through the dealer, and ran me U.S. $300.
Since I swapped to the Lycette style, I sold mine to a bud and modded it to fit his 2008 AVL.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.